Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
*TESLA MODELS S, X PRODUCTION TO SHUT DOWN FOR 18 DAYS: CNBC

Tesla tells employees Model S and X production will shut down for 18 days
Ahhhh yeah, and the typical trash article content you would expect from CNBS

"The shutdown of the S and X lines suggests that the high demand does not extend to these older models. It’s not clear what Tesla intends to do with its Model S and X lines during the holiday shutdown. The company did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The company has been struggling with a recall in China, and safety probe by NHTSA, and warranty expansion covering some of its high-end Model S sedans, and its luxury SUV with falcon wing doors, the Model X, this year."

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ahhhh yeah, and the typical trash article content you would expect from CNBS

"The shutdown of the S and X lines suggests that the high demand does not extend to these older models. It’s not clear what Tesla intends to do with its Model S and X lines during the holiday shutdown. The company did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The company has been struggling with a recall in China, and safety probe by NHTSA, and warranty expansion covering some of its high-end Model S sedans, and its luxury SUV with falcon wing doors, the Model X, this year."

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
This is why so many here are Teslairs...the usefull fools continue to feed nonsense to a large segment of the population.

I say thanks...ya chumps.

This is why so many here are Teslairs...the usefull fools continue to feed nonsense to a large segment of the population.

I feel bad for any investors that buy into that garbage and sell on worry of S/X demand. It's so damn obvious why they're shutting down. Just line it up with the timelines being given for S/X around the world right now (8-12 weeks). They're selling off any inventory this quarter and giving a time gap to announce/ship refreshed S/X so that people that took delivery of theirs in Dec won't get butthurt (if they're anything like Fred though, they'll still complain haha)

Quick spreadsheet calculation of conviction-weighted averages gives $752/$853 for the two weeks´ highs.
And before anyone asks - I did not make my entry after calculating this ;).
Took a look and yeah seems that many believe we will end up higher on X-mas eve than on Dec 18. Around 15% higher. Only a few believing in a dip and many that it'll go up. Very interesting.

I might make a prediction tomorrow but right now I don't feel like I have any real conviction where it'll go.

It's really interesting to see everyone's different path to realizing the media is little more these days than propaganda sold to the highest bidder, which is typically large corporations with entrenched interests. People who somehow escape the mind control of the talking heads on TV and the New York Times will find themselves able to take advantage of opportunities the rest of the world are oblivious to.

upload_2020-12-12_14-23-54.png

:D

It looks like all of the many heads of the Musk Inc. hydra are coming together in Indonesia next month.

Tesla teams to visit Indonesia next month -- Indonesia wants battery factory (Reuters)
SpaceX team to visit Indonesia next month -- Indonesia wants spaceport (Bloomberg)

Indonesia is a big country with a very large population and blessed with natural resources that Musk Inc. needs. The extra $5 billion sure doesn't hurt in taking advantage of these kinds of opportunities. This is also a good opportunity to gentrify Mordor.
Is it possible to do business in Indonesia without unlawful involvement in corruption? Aren't there nickel deposits in Canada and Australia?

Appreciate the mention....honestly, i think anyone trying to predict the SP is just throwing darts (like myself :)) Could a squeeze happen? definitely....will the SP rise next week? Probably. The only thing that puts a little fear in me is that "EVERYONE" saw this coming when it was announced, and when "EVERYONE" knows something, it normally does not end well.
@BlackS , By Everyone, I take that to be Everyone on TMC Investment Thread. People like @PKOttawa are much much more common for the masses that do not yet understand Tesla, and I am glad that he has posted here to show us the other side of the coin. The masses are spoon-fed FUD'n dribble on all things Tesla by the talking host heads on finance shows and proclaimed expert self serving analysts. And as for the masses, very few are invested in individual stocks at all. The following link is to Pew Research Centre March 2020 research report which found only 14% of the US population invests in individual stocks. Therefore we are talking about a tiny fraction of a tiny fraction of Everone that has in depth knowledge of Tesla. Knowledge is power, and as a result those with knowledge will prosper. No fear here.
More than half of U.S. households have some investment in the stock market

Solid State Batteries -- They're Everywhere! They're Everywhere!

The issue here isn't whether solid-state batteries eventually result in faster charge times and more range, it is whether car companies need to wait for solid-state batteries to commit to making EVs in volume.

In investing it is a bad mistake to hold on to a losing position for too long.

In business it is a bad mistake to hold on to a incorrect assumption for too long.

Toyota hasn't yet committed to EV production in volume, they seem to be waiting for hydrogen fuel cell or solid-state batteries to be production ready. The incorrect assumption they are hanging on to is, that regular Lithium Ion cells are not good enough to make compelling EVs.

This is where Tesla's start-up mentality delivers an edge, they needed to make EVs work ASAP, and they don't hang on to bad ideas.

Start-up is often characterized as "move fast and break things", but IMO what is more accurate is "get something working ASAP, then improve it, if it doesn't work, start again".

Toyota is typically very good at "get something working, then improve it", but they are spending unnecessary time sitting on the sidelines, because they have made some incorrect assumptions.

Tesla's FSD is a shinning example of a start-up in action. it has been re-written 3-4 times in total, the idea is right, but Tesla will "start again", when they need to. The important focus is the end objective, ideas and technologies come and go, and something better eventually appears. But the key consideration is "can we make this work, and how soon will it be working".

So as long as the aims and objectives of the Tesla start-ups are correct, there is no "failure mode", just an occasional need to throw out all assumptions, and start again.

it is far easier to recognize when you are wrong when you expect to be wrong, and you ego doesn't prevent you admitting you are wrong. Getting things wrong regularly is good preparation and training.

Elon's comment about California is also relevant, a long period of winning can breed complacency and inertia, failure is unexpected and more difficult to handle. That is true for Toyota, they have been successful for a long time, but a few incorrect assumptions are undoing some of that success. Catching up will not be easy, it is never a good idea to give the other runners a heads start.

Unlike Toyota, California has a heads start, leading is always better than following.