Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And this here is what gives us an unfair advantage over the market, I believe. Below was a little something I wrote couple of months ago. TL;DR: You need a second Elon Musk to compete with Tesla.

THE FUTILE JOURNEY TO FIND THE NEXT TESLA
I find it sad that 99% of so called investors have no idea who Elon Musk is. I attribute this to the nasty media attack on Musk and the general ignorance/shallowness of the average investor. Now that I'm done insulting you, allow me to give you a glimpse into the man Neil de Grasse Tyson called the most important human on Earth:
Born in South Africa, Musk began reading at a young age. By 9, he has already finished the Encyclopedia Britanica and countless other books. He's said to have photographic memory and can recite rocket formulas from conversation with SpaceX employees.
At 32 year old, he has created and sold Zip2 and PayPal, pocketing nearly $200M.
He proceeded to split that money into SpaceX and Tesla, challenging Lockheed Martin, Boeing, the entire automotive industry.
SpaceX has now become the leading space exploration company, undercutting existing launch companies by 80% per launch.
Tesla is now worth nearly the entire automotive industry combined.
SpaceX and Tesla are the top 2 dream employers for graduating engineering students. They only employ the brightest and hungriest engineers.
Musk is known for working his employees to the bones, often on a 90 hour weekly schedule.
Most employees and associates, even enemies and fired employees, mention his name with respect and admiration. Musk is loved, feared, and worshipped by his employees.
Whenever an engineer tells him something cant be done, they would be fired from the team with Musk assuming the employee's job and finishing it.
SpaceX and Tesla, therefore, have the highest risk taking attitude in the world. Thats how they beat companies once worth 100x their valuation.
Musk's philosophy is called the first principle: taking every problem down to the physic level. Whatever works, do it. No politics. No committees. Only relentless trials and errors until a solution has been reach. Rinse and repeat on a perpentual pursuit of the cheapest way to make the best products to accelerate the world's transitition to renewable energy.
So why is this important!?
Much like how thinking in First Principle has brought SpaceX and Tesla to a cult status, investors should also use it to study a company.
It amuses me when people think, now that GM, Ford, VW, etc. have promised to pour billions of dollar into researching EVs, they will become worthwhile competitors to Tesla. Equally sad are the new crop of EV startups: NKLA, SPAQ, HYLN, WKHS, etc. Some think money is the key. Some think experience. Infrastructure. Batteries.
Wrong.
Dead wrong.
If any of these was the key, SpaceX and Tesla would never have survived. Both basically started out in little garages. Musk came close to running out of money amid 2008. While GM filed for bankruptcy and Ford put up its blue oval emblem for collateral for a loan, Tesla survived with all of its dignity. While Mitt Romney called Tesla a loser in the 2008 debate with Barrack Obama, Tesla paid back the governtment loan it took early, every cent with interest.
No.
The culture is the key. It is simply unfathomable for the average so called investor what a team of brightest minds working under the most ruthless leader in the world could accomplish. And who sit atop that culture? Musk.
As Marc Tarpening, Tesla co-founder said, you dont want to compete against Musk. He will crush you totally in every aspect.
So anyone looking for the next Tesla, do you have the next Elon Musk? If not, you will fail.
It also amuses me that the number one reason anyone would go out and look for the next Tesla is that they think they miss the boat on TSLA.
Let me paint you a picture: you gave Elon Musk $200M and the Great Recession and he built the two most valuable companies, each in its respective industry. Today, Tesla has first dib on engineering talents, factories and stores in every continent, and 15 ****ing billion dollars in the bank, and you think Tesla is at the end of its growth curve? This is just the ramp up stage to a multi trillion dollar company within a decade.
Wake up. There will not be the next Tesla. Its already here. Its called Tesla. You have front row ticket to this significant piece of history. Its your choice whether to join it or just watch.
I am as invested in Tesla as almost any here, in terms of % of one’s investments in TSLA.
I wasn’t talking about “next Tesla”, but someone “next to” Tesla, and I expect them to be a distant second.
I am not expecting Tesla to capture even 50% of the market, let alone 100%. I believe we (all here) have a strong consensus on this.

I am as invested in Tesla as almost any here, in terms of % of one’s investments in TSLA.
I wasn’t talking about “next Tesla”, but someone “next to” Tesla, and I expect them to be a distant second.
I am not expecting Tesla to capture even 50% of the market, let alone 100%. I believe we (all here) have a strong consensus on this.
My apologies if that last part seemed directed at you. It's not. It's just part of the original post I wrote.

The best thing Musk has done was aligning Teslas research/financial goals with its sustainability goals.

A huge impact to climate change would be electric cars + autonomy (because total % of miles driven by EV vs. ICE will go up very dramatically through autonomy) + breakthrough solar/battery/hvacr in the housing sector.

I would expect Tesla starting to have a noticeable impact in bending the climate change curve in the 2026/2027 timeframe. We would there see about 10 million yearly production output from Tesla and about 15% of global miles driven with autonomous EVs (still growing quickly at that point).

I agree, but also I think we should take into the account the multiplier that goes with new tech and reduced impact.
Electric robotaxi will make people go around more (covid aside) instead of less. Even if they use only green energy, that is increased energy demand that was not here before.
We really need a step up in the sustainable generation (solar + wind) and battery storage, to disrupt traditional utilities. Also HVACs will be very important if cheap enough to replace old & polluting systems.
We need thousands (millions) of Semi to disrupt tha logistic transportation.
I still hope to see Tesla Energy eat the world, but we're not there yet.

:eek::eek::eek:

WTF.jpg

Exactly at yesterday's closing price. Probably a pre-arranged trade from yesterday according to Fact Checking

Indonesia: Widodo steps up bid to woo investment from Tesla’s Elon Musk

• The president’s personal invitation comes as Southeast Asia’s largest economy looks to venture into the burgeoning electric-vehicle industry
  • Indonesia is the world’s largest exporter of nickel, a key material in lithium-based batteries, and also has the world’s biggest nickel reserves

Model of Supply and Demand for TSLA shares:

View attachment 617845

The point where the supply and deman curves intersect is the equilibrium SP, which in theory occurs after some hysteresis, but in practice equilibrium is never reached because of other events, ie:
  • Q4 P&D
  • FSD Beta
  • Model S refresh
  • Giga Shanghai Phase 3
This chart is produced from actual data, given some assumptions.

I think the price elasticity declines at some point to the right on the chart. Many shares are locked up and will not be available at any price. You need a variable that will give you a curved line. Econ is over 30 years ago, so my demand charting brain cells would require a refresher course, but usually supply and demand are non-linear. Some people just need to sell at any price and sometimes more shares become available as the price goes down (market makers hitting limit loss orders) and some shares won't sell no matter how much the stock rises day to day.
As a mental exercise, it is important and helpful to remember, that some people will sell as the stock rises. Not everyone is a TMC'r and even here, some people will reduce holdings when some magic number or feeling is hit. We had a lot of big winners on the original rise from 15 to 297 back in the 2012-2015 run. They may still check in and lurk, but I think most of them cashed out enough to retire or play with Nvidia and other stocks. Personally, I have some in the money calls and may move to deleverage if we go over some number. I am currently thinking I'll do this incrementally if we move over $700 this week. If that doesn't happen, my assumption is the indexers have managed to buy in without a squeeze. The stock could still fall after inclusion, but in that instance, I think deliveries, profits and product updates and new production will drive the price.

Jaguar Teases New Vision Gran Turismo Supercar

Nice to see Jaguar’s new EV-type halo supercar will be all electric.

Interesting fun fact: The classic Jaguar E-type is one of 2 ICE cars that Elon still owns.

Billionaire Tesla CEO Elon Musk reveals he owns two gas cars and one is his ‘first love’

Even Enzo Ferrari himself famously said that the Jaguar E-type was the most beautiful car he's ever seen. They did suck at making cars then and it's good to see their tradition continues. LOL. The new F-type is a decent car, but plagued with reliability issues and so is the rest of the JLR line up.

Elon should convert that E-Type to an electric powertrain so he can get rid of most of the problems. Imagine a car as lite as the e-type with the plaid powertrain!

Another day where standing sell orders dwarf standing buy orders. A million shares' worth between current price and $700. About 192,000 sell orders between current price and $650.

Dear S&P Index Funds:

Um, the clock is ticking. You might want to start buying.

I know we saw data saying the S&P funds havent bought yet, but I am beginning to think that there could be some agreement to transfer all shares in a non-volatile way around $640 a share between some of the front runners and some of the funds. We are just stuck to hard to $640 (and have been for a week) when we have all been expecting big volume.