Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just listening to NPR All Things Considered. John Volker (auto journalist) gave a fair if unenthusiastic discourse on electric cars. Piece began re Tesla closing its stores and passing on the savings to customers. Some relatively accurate numbers passed back and forth with sales figures for US illustrated as increasing dramatically with M3 credited for almost all the rise. Said China is the prime mover for auto manufacturers to build electric cars and the US might end up as the last ICE holdout world wide. Then began the usual range problem mantra because we drive so much further than everyone blah blah....
Last question: Are electric cars profitable? Answer: No... no one is making any money from electric cars:eek: Then goes on to compare the cost of cellphone batteries and extrapolates this out to thousands in an EV.

Very neutral piece with mostly accurate facts but a very “not ready for prime time” feeling....

We are making progress;):)

Fire Away!
That's really weird. John Volker should know better - he has been covering plugins for a decade. He was mostly a PHEV guy (think GM Volt) rather than a BEV guy. Still ...

Reactions: JRP3 and Yuri_G
Generally classes of cars are compared on exterior dimensions and/or wheelbase.

If packaging allows he interior of one design to be more room than another, than so be it.... that's an advantage.

But very few people/reviews compare cars based on distance from steering wheel to seat, or from seat to seat. Otherwise you might be comparing a minivan to a sedan if they both happen to have a front seat that's 22 inches from the steering wheel.

As for the "long nose" argument, that doesn't make sense either. There are ICE cars with longitudinal engines, and ones with transverse. Some even rear engine, so there's significant variability even within a class. You'll find that there are not clases of "cars with hoods from 3 to 4 feet", but rather "sedans with wheelbases from 110-118 inches" type of thing.
Actually I believe car sizes are determined by interior space. That's why the MS is considered a large sedan.

You may be right. I know Musk's policy re advertising. But when you have revolutionary new products, you can't rely on the media or word of mouth only. The former may confuse or give negative spin, and the latter may not reach scale quickly enough. Revolutionary and/or controversial products need proper communication and education by the company. Apple advertised the first Mac (1984 commercial) and also the latter generation of revolutionary products with the second coming of Steve Jobs (ipod, imac, iphone, etc.). Apple and their products are well know, but they knew they have to advertise and even create their own stores. They can't rely on the media, the public, or other store clerks (Best Buy) to sell their revolutionary products.

I know two people personally who are very smart but don't follow Tesla closely and when I was talking to them about it, one thought that Tesla was going bankrupt and another thought that Musk was a psychopath. But once I explained things to them rationally and with evidence, they were convinced, with one of them even buying stock in Tesla.

The fact of the matter is that the shorts and media smear campaign has unfortunately been very effective to at least create doubt and hesitation on the part of your average consumer (and investor). Maybe Tesla advertising (and beyond just twitter) is the only way they can change this narrative. They need to hire some really good ad agency, like Apple did, and communicate a cool, slick message that shows the full advantage of a Tesla EV over other EVs and over other cars period.

Advertising using a good agency might be cost effective to improve their image and help sales medium term, even if they are selling all they can build right now. Improvement to their web site would be a good first step in a communications strategy and cheaper. Perhaps a series of videos to aid the less-informed who go to their web site:
  • How the supercharger network works.
  • Explain home charging and destination charging.
  • How to buy a Tesla.
  • How to get repairs, and how well that works.
  • The warranty (you won't have to buy a new battery in a few years).
  • AP and FSD.
  • Show each vehicle inside and out:
    • cargo room;
    • what's under the hood
    • good look at the interior
    • two good sized people sitting comfortably in the back seat;
    • drivers of various sizes in the drivers seat:
      • a short person has a good view of the road;
      • a tall person has leg room and room over his head;
      • a fat guy has room and gracefully exits the car.
  • Range.
  • Routine service requirements (nil)
  • A short history of the company and accomplishments
  • Links to owners manuals.
  • Etc.

Short interest has barely increased. Longs are selling
Short interest usually falls when the SP comes down - with a lag. So, if the same pattern is repeated this time, we should see the short interest fall soon and for the SP to crawl back up. Then, some event makes shorts get brave and start shorting a lot again driving the short interest up and SP down.

Ofcourse SI is still low compared to pre-Q3.

• Informative
Reactions: anthonyj
Software update release notes about Supercharger v3

https://i.imgur.com/refyjOD.jpg

250kW max
Car will precondition battery on the way to supercharger so charging is quicker.
Higher power means no need to share between stalls on same circuit.

Thanks. Those notes also specify "Model 3", which could mean several things. It could mean that current TMS/TMX 100s won't get the extra power yet. It could mean that the max power is different, and the release notes show the appropriate value for each model. And every good list ends with "other".

I like the idea of conditioning the battery automatically while driving to the charger. That should work with SCv2 too, I'd hope.

Reactions: Drumheller
I don’t know why everyone still thinks tonight will be a huge event with a “one more thing” at the end. It’s literally less than 2 hours before the event and still no sign of a stream....
I was expecting to see stream info pop up. Now I think it is another private event that EM will say "that was another mistake" tomorrow.

I really hope we get to see the Tesla Snake tonight. I guess it’s really not needed for another 2 years though. This is really the only thing that is super exciting for me. I’ve never done a full coast to coast but for my NorCal to SoCal (6 hour) trips the SuC network is plenty fast.