Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Software update release notes about Supercharger v3

https://i.imgur.com/refyjOD.jpg

250kW max
Car will precondition battery on the way to supercharger so charging is quicker.
Higher power means no need to share between stalls on same circuit.

Cute. The battery preconditioning is one of the big new things Rivian was promising for their vehicles. Looks like Tesla has beat them to it.

Thanks. Those notes also specify "Model 3", which could mean several things. It could mean that current TMS/TMX 100s won't get the extra power yet. It could mean that the max power is different, and the release notes show the appropriate value for each model. And every good list ends with "other".

I like the idea of conditioning the battery automatically while driving to the charger. That should work with SCv2 too, I'd hope.
What I'd hope also is incorporated in to this firmware update is that if a car has a battery so cold-soaked that it can accept no charge when attached to a charger, it will use shore power to meat the battery at the max the car is capable of.

I don't know if it's the case for the 3, but people have reported that the S in extremely cold weather won't draw any power from a charge... even to run the 6KW pack heater... And if your battery is so low/cold that can't either, that seems like a missed opportunity...

Reactions: lklundin
I don't know if it's the case for the 3, but people have reported that the S in extremely cold weather won't draw any power from a charge... even to run the 6KW pack heater... And if your battery is so low/cold that can't either, that seems like a missed opportunity...

My understanding is that only happens when the EVSE can't provide enough power, 6kW, to fully power the pack heater.

• Informative
Reactions: Sparky
Jim Cramer Explains How Short Sellers Manipulate Stocks — Like Tesla (TSLA) | CleanTechnica

“Short seller activism is generally associated with prominent hedge funds and ‘celebrity’ activists, such as David Einhorn and Bill Ackman. These short sellers often launch short attacks capitalizing on their notoriety and name recognition. [1] In recent years, however, a new breed of short activism has emerged: individuals who anonymously post negative research reports and articles about targeted public companies on widely followed online financial and research platforms, such as Seeking Alpha. According to Activist Insight, ‘activist short sellers are more often than not anonymous entities and funds.’ [2]"

From the same article, we also have:
Jim Cramer Explains How Short Sellers Manipulate Stocks — Like Tesla (TSLA) | CleanTechnica

"Talk to any normal person about Tesla, and see what they say. See what they know about Tesla. Often, from my experience, they’ve heard Tesla’s in a financial crisis, Tesla’s controversial and risky, Tesla’s CEO Elon Musk may even be a fraudster or a druggie!

They generally don’t know that:

1. The Tesla Model 3 tests from the NHTSA showed it had the lowest probability of any car the agency has ever tested, and the Model S and Model X are #2 and #3.
  2. The Tesla Model 3 was the top selling luxury vehicle of any type in the US in 2018.
  3. The Tesla Model 3 has the most satisfied owners of any car in the United States, according to Consumer Reports.
  4. The Tesla Model 3 is projected to have the 2nd best value retention (resale value after 5 years) of any vehicle in the US, according to Kelley Blue Book.
  5. The Tesla Model 3 has the 0–60 mph performance of a BMW 4 Series (better, actually, if you consider the instant torque) but an estimated total cost of ownership of a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry.
  6. The Tesla Model S is the best selling large luxury car in the US, by far.
  7. You can now buy a $35,000 Tesla Model 3 with a drive quality that is basically unbeatable.
The smear campaigns work. The short seller tactics work. What’s the SEC doing about that?"

And this is why I think that Tesla should maybe advertise. Again, from my prior comment, I've know a few people who, like those above, are completely mis-informed about Tesla due to the *very successful* shorts/media smear campaign. Even Apple, a well known brand, needs to advertise. I think this may be necessary with revolutionary products like Apple and Tesla puts out.

The larger pack allows greater acceleration and regen, plus extends pack life by cycling it less deeply and running it at a lower C rate. None of that battery is "wasted", it's essential.

All good points and I appreciate your thoughts. My somewhat flawed point revolved around weight in my example when it might have been more clearly stated as a question about Supercharger spacing.

Hey, supercharging is the topic of the evening so it entered my thoughts and I am wondering out loud a bit. If SC spacing eventually closes up such that there is a SC every 50 miles and typical daily driving is 25 miles (as an example) then the carried weight might impact out thinking.

But today with SC spacing as it is, the LR pack is _very_ nice. But perhaps someday there is a different calculation. It will be interesting to see what comes out of tonight's unveiling.

Thanks for your comments.

Ok, this is really strange. No public comms from Elon or Tesla about Supercharger v3 except that it’s going live today.

All we have is a leaked invite, which may or may not be real. So there may or may not be any event at all.

Anyone have thoughts? This is very UnTeslalike.

Am I missing something?

I was thinking this earlier and am more sure of it now: this wasn’t intended to be a real “event”. The only reason we found out about it at all was Elon saying the first v3 Supercharger would go live today(appears true) and the leaked invite. Probably just going to be some EAP members showing up and trying out the charging(under the watchful eyes of Tesla staff to make sure everything’s as planned) and then going home.

Inquiring minds want to know:

"Why is @Tesla registering @Model3VINs at a 10,000+ weekly rate?"

ValueAnalyst on Twitter

See also this thread:

Tom Randall on Twitter

"Befuddling. Wish I had an answer. I think the international launch played some role: 2 new VIN series to register, each with its own buffer. But that doesn't explain all of it. We keep expecting it to flatline and it doesn't. Our registered-VINs model is like whaaaat"

Last edited:
From the same article, we also have:

"Talk to any normal person about Tesla, and see what they say. See what they know about Tesla. Often, from my experience, they’ve heard Tesla’s in a financial crisis, Tesla’s controversial and risky, Tesla’s CEO Elon Musk may even be a fraudster or a druggie!

They generally don’t know that:

1. The Tesla Model 3 tests from the NHTSA showed it had the lowest probability of any car the agency has ever tested, and the Model S and Model X are #2 and #3.
  2. The Tesla Model 3 was the top selling luxury vehicle of any type in the US in 2018.
  3. The Tesla Model 3 has the most satisfied owners of any car in the United States, according to Consumer Reports.
  4. The Tesla Model 3 is projected to have the 2nd best value retention (resale value after 5 years) of any vehicle in the US, according to Kelley Blue Book.
  5. The Tesla Model 3 has the 0–60 mph performance of a BMW 4 Series (better, actually, if you consider the instant torque) but an estimated total cost of ownership of a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry.
  6. The Tesla Model S is the best selling large luxury car in the US, by far.
  7. You can now buy a $35,000 Tesla Model 3 with a drive quality that is basically unbeatable.
The smear campaigns work. The short seller tactics work. What’s the SEC doing about that?"

And this is why I think that Tesla should maybe advertise. Again, from my prior comment, I've know a few people who, like those above, are completely mis-informed about Tesla due to the *very successful* shorts/media smear campaign. Even Apple, a well known brand, needs to advertise. I think this may be necessary with revolutionary products like Apple and Tesla puts out.

Loved it up to the five asterisks.

Maybe I’m naive. I feel that Tesla’s domination will be more dramatically successful if it comes via a people propagated epiphany - where the populace learn through experience and an overwhelming number of friends and family reporting that Teslas are amazing. They then learn a second thing - that they’ve been lied to by the media.

Pls add the word ‘accident’ to item 1.

Several of those points are amazing. It’s a list to ponder, not speed read.