Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla & Elon take weeks to confirm if there was a driver in the seat of a car that crashed or had AP on, but they have logs about lumbar support (not) being used in the passenger seat. Sure, sure.
I rate this FUD 2 out of 7. The bit about Elon torquing bolts was more entertaining. If you're going to hang around please at least let us get out money's worth.

Rimac launched their new vehicle today. The power is much higher than the Plaid+, although the range looks quite short compared to what Tesla is offering these days. It will likely cost an arm and a leg too.

View attachment 668391

1,914 hp is crazy. 0-300kph @ 9.3sec is crazy fast too. Impressive paper car.

Tesla remove stuff that people don't use or want all the time. I have a model S 85D with a sunroof. Try getting that now. You can't. Why? My wife was the only person in the world who wanted one.
If cars contain every feature wanted by everyone they cost 10x as much and look like they were designed by homer simpson.
I'm glad I'm not paying for a feature nobody uses.

Way back in 2015 when I was researching whether an electric car would work for me, and so happily found Tesla, the sunroof was a deal breaker. I was coming from a convertible, and couldn’t imagine not having at least a sunroof. There was also the headroom issue which seems to have been resolved in the 3 with body shape. I love mine, use it frequently in NC, and it’s one reason I’m slow to upgrade my S. Although riding in my friend’s 3, the glass roof is fine, but I much prefer the sunroof. With the S moving into the premium niche within the product offerings, why can’t a sunroof be offered as a separately priced option?

I also have the lumbar support set on max, and still need more, so I guess I could do without it and use a support pillow.

And while I’m on a roll with complaints/consumer feedback, the headrest pitch of the Next Gen seats (as of 2015) is too forward for my wife who has to sit in the back seat on road trips; occasionally results in lobbying to use the ICE on certain trips (boo).

Last edited:
Reactions: Itsame
More uncomfortable for long family trips, for one more passenger.

I wouldn't say that's necessarily the actual situation. There are a lot of lumbar supports that are adjusted sub-optimally. I've NEVER succeeded in getting a passenger to adjust the lumbar support in my Model 3, except for one time my wife played with it. But she didn't know how to adjust it. In most use cases it's better for the shape of the lumbar support to be adjusted to a standard shape than to have it capable of being adjusted to a sub-optimal position (because most people have no clue what is a good or bad position until it's too late).

Remember, this is removal of the manual adjustment mechanism, not the removal of lumbar support, the seat will still have excellent lumbar support for people with relatively normal spines. Even Ekornes Stressless recliners costing thousands of dollars and well-known for their ergonomic comfort do not have manually adjustable lumbar support.

So with a gamut of external cameras, an internal tracking camera freshly turned on and an advanced GPU it can only mean that we should start speckulating about an advanced AR HUD for the next 2-3 years.
Right? I mean, the display hurts my neck if I play too long turned to the side. Not only a HUD, but Oculus or similar also comes to mind.
The 3D simulator is how people in the future will remember "Driving by Hand".

Reactions: kbM3
I wouldn't say that's necessarily the actual situation. There are a lot of lumbar supports that are adjusted sub-optimally. I've NEVER succeeded in getting a passenger to adjust the lumbar support in my Model 3, except for one time my wife played with it. But she didn't know how to adjust it. In most use cases it's better for the shape of the lumbar support to be adjusted to a standard shape than to have it capable of being adjusted to a sub-optimal position (because most people have no clue what is a good or bad position until it's too late).

Remember, this is removal of the manual adjustment mechanism, not the removal of lumbar support, the seat will still have excellent lumbar support for people with relatively normal spines. Even Ekornes Stressless recliners costing thousands of dollars and well-known for their ergonomic comfort do not have manually adjustable lumbar support.
If all this is true might be best to remove from driver seat as well, right? (my common sense indicator is going off :) )

+ And based on factual research above, let's remove it from the S/X as well ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Foxtrotter
If all this is true might be best to remove from driver seat as well, right?
NO! That would be the next Tesla I'd never purchase! Those who have back issues and drive longer road trips, if they're like me, adjust lumbar frequently. I can't drive more than 1-2 hours without adjusting both lumbar as well as seat position.

While YMMV, this is one aspect of driving long distances where one size does not fit all, IMHO.

Likely just for Tesla branded mini-shops at large SC locations but the drive in movie theater idea is awesome.

NO! That would be the next Tesla I'd never purchase! Those who have back issues and drive longer road trips, if they're like me, adjust lumbar frequently. I can't drive more than 1-2 hours without adjusting both lumbar as well as seat position.

While YMMV, this is one aspect of driving long distances where one size does not fit all, IMHO.

Ya better to have lumbar support on a high-end car, then to schedule more visits to the Chiropractor :)

If all this is true might be best to remove from driver seat as well, right? (my common sense indicator is going off :) )

+ And based on factual research above, let's remove it from the S/X as well ;)

Not really, the owner of the car is much more likely to know how they like it adjusted. passengers, not so much.

But, yeah, the vast majority of cars do not even have manually adjustable lumbar supports on the driver's seat.

Not really, the owner of the car is much more likely to know how they like it adjusted. passengers, not so much.

But, yeah, the vast majority of cars do not even have manually adjustable lumbar supports on the driver's seat.

For long distance vacation driving, both spouses are owners. Both have great familiarity with Tesla.
After driving 2-3 hrs and I switch with my spouse, I am the one who is the passenger.
I have a bad back and comfy seats are very important for me. Just having ability to try different settings is at a min a psychological mind pleaser

I think most owners will be doing the same when driving with their partner.

I've always known my 2015 Buick Enclave has lumbar support on the driver side but never used it. Making comfortable seats should save the consumer more money than having lumbar support CONTROL. That's the operative word. It's not like suddenly Tesla wants to torture its customers by removing lumbar support. The seat still has lumbar support, it's just one size fit all now. The best part is no part?

Last edited:
Another lumbar data point: Kona EV Limited with driver-only power seat with adjustable lumbar support. My wife would definitely prefer the same support in the passenger seat as in the driver's seat, but as a passenger she can adjust position more, so it's not as critical.
I just leave the seats in the settings my wife used. Comfort isn't as big a problem for me.

I think these things are often adjust once and forget, but comfort is such an individual and make or break thing. For us Kona won over the Bolt because of seat (dis)comfort. As with customer service, Tesla probably thinks it doesn't matter enough for them.

Reactions: oldTAVguy
QQQ nosedive, went full rag doll
Volume has been very low despite the broader market slowly melting up. My theory is everything hinges on the 6/10 CPI report. Margin debt is at all time high. Either we get a very dovish report & big money flows back in, pushing the market to ATH, or we get a very bad report and the bears come out of hibernation. Til then, market remains choppy at best.