Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you think Elon is going to get anywhere near as big of a pay package for his next deal, I have a bridge to sell ya. It's one thing to get a pay package like he got when the company is only a 30 billion company. Drastically different when the company is valued at 600 billion

Plus the conditions would be 10X harder to hit. The only reason it's been so impactful to earnings so far is literally because of the 2020 rally....otherwise it would have take years longer to complete.
Given the amount he has received, he may not even want anymore trenches except perhaps a compensation package that is a complete joke...like if the marketcap is 4.2069 trillion.

GM been pretty quiet.
I'd bet if you open up the 1400 you'd find ZERO parts from Ford in the drivetrain. I'd imagine the engineers put whatever they could source from 3rd parties. This might be common knowledge to other engineers, but for folks on this thread who might not be aware of how concepts from traditional OEMs are made.

I found this post about some guy that is an amazing driver and was there at the event:
View attachment 673841
Ok, that is just not how track days work. There is no such thing as getting all gussied up and taking out your new fastest accelerating production car ever made and being a 'gentleman'. Maybe for a period of time, but not when it is hot lap time and I'd be floored if they don't get hours of hot lap time. I've been to some 'fun' track events and this is not one of them. I'd bet they are editing some good footage now and we'll get some official times as well as some entire lap static camera footage. I'd also love full telematics, but we'll see. Love to see the G meter (accelerometer) as well as the temps of various drive-train pieces.

Gary Black is gonna lose his sugar. Funny how Elon seemingly needs to arrive at these conclusions on his own. Maybe he just feels like the time has come. Maybe it’s the recent FUD tsunami.

I'm with Elon on this one. I have often wondered why they don't openly call it Bioweapon defence mode anymore, and why they don't make more of a big deal about this. This is one of the things that I really hope the CT has.

I know of at least 3 people who I told about Bioweapon who ordered Teslas for no other reason but this. They had no idea about it's effectiveness until I elaborated at length about it. Tesla should make more people aware of this, it really sets Tesla apart from the crowd, beyond horsepower, acceleration, efficiency, tech (all of which I love) - in a much more unexpected way that I have not seen another car company address.

Last edited:
i wouldmt get too excited about Elon compensation plan finishing - it seems logical that once it’s complete there will be another new compensation plan right behind it.
Biggest risk is that Elon rejects another compensation plan. His mind is already 60% SpaceX, 5% Neuralink, 5% Boring & 30% Tesla IMO. Neuralink and Boring could increase significantly. Elon spent less than 4 hours at the Plaid event - attending SpaceX facilities either side. Lets not worry too much about dilution - I'm praying for it.

Gary Black is gonna lose his sugar. Funny how Elon seemingly needs to arrive at these conclusions on his own. Maybe he just feels like the time has come. Maybe it’s the recent FUD tsunami.

Elon responded to the advertising question at an AGM in 2019 stating that he wasn't against advertising at some point in the future should the need arise. He did say he was against the disingenuous nature of current advertising and asked the audience to suggest better alternatives. Here's the timestamped question from the 2019 AGM.

If you think Elon is going to get anywhere near as big of a pay package for his next deal, I have a bridge to sell ya. It's one thing to get a pay package like he got when the company is only a 30 billion company. Drastically different when the company is valued at 600 billion

Plus the conditions would be 10X harder to hit. The only reason it's been so impactful to earnings so far is literally because of the 2020 rally....otherwise it would have take years longer to complete.
For arguments sake. How much do you think he should get if Tesla's value increases from c.$600b to (e.g.) $3T? he would have created 5x more value than has been done to date. Should he get paid 5x what he has currently earned?

I think there's a strong argument for the next bonus plan to pay more than the current one, but it would probably bump up against limits on what is acceptable to society at some point.

Biggest risk is that Elon rejects another compensation plan. His mind is already 60% SpaceX, 5% Neuralink, 5% Boring & 30% Tesla IMO. Neuralink and Boring could increase significantly. Elon spent less than 4 hours at the Plaid event - attending SpaceX facilities either side. Lets not worry too much about dilution - I'm praying for it.
Biggest risk is that Elon, unlike Jobs 2.0 and Bezos, continues failing to put a strong management team in place.

The term spending should include the cost to get the product out. I'm not sure they itemized what they spending on. Lots of times they use the term including R&D, factories, equipment, retooling/retraining cost. I don't know for sure. They normally like to report larger number to sound more serious investment.

It does not and should not include raw materials, parts purchased from suppliers nor in house manual labor.

What R&D is for BEV and which is for ICEv can be blurred. Chassis, safety systems and material science for example. So OEMs can fudge a bit without straight up lying.

Most half ton trucks are already used like that today. F150 King Ranch editions are today’s Cadillacs. The way are more luxury cruising vehicles than actual work for many Americans and that has fueled most of the growth of the truck market over the last 25 years. Also why we’ve seen multiple full size SUVs die and other barely sell. They have already converted to trucks at Ford and GM. Ram doesn’t make a body on frame SUV because it simply doesn’t make sense to with the sales. ~3m might be a tad low, but we are not talking about a 6-7m TAM.

The case I made was equal or better than the single best selling vehicle in the US. That would be a massive achievement and fundamentally change the outlook of the company.

1) The F-150 King Ranch are today's Lincolns.

2)The only full size body-on-frame SUVs that died/don't sell well are 2 doors and/or weird half truck/half SUV vehicles.

3) Chrysler/FCA have stupidly not sold a full size SUV in the US for ~35 years. Stellantis is now remedying that stupidity with Jeep Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer. They are using the body-on-frame chassis from the current generation 2018 RAM.

4) Ford makes money hand over fist selling Expedition/Navigator. GM makes money hand over fist selling Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon(XL) and Escalade. They limit production/sales on these vehicles in order to remain CAFE compliant.

Any thoughts, rebuttals?
We have discussed this in detail previously, I don't think he has an actual weight for the battery pack, he is just looking at,the total weight of the car.
Weight savings could come from many areas.

The hasn't taken taken into account the size and shape of the pack, which seems to be the same size and shape as a Raven pack...
This speculation is pointless, IMO he is almost certainly wrong...

The facts are we know the specs and the price of the Plaid, those are the numbers that count.

IMO cell form factors are a bit like cardboard boxes, they are containers in which you can put stuff, sometimes the size and shape of the container affects the costs and the performance.... but mostly what counts is what is inside.

I think part of the issue is that, to Elon, things like this are reruns from 2015-2016: Putting the Tesla HEPA Filter and Bioweapon Defense Mode to the Test

Whereas, to the world at large, they are like this:
Ten Thousand
mobile version (for mouse over text (meta))
xkcd: Ten Thousand
ten_thousand.png

Some may require a little knowledge to get this joke:

5 Places to Try a Deep Fried Mars Bar in Glasgow - Glasgow Living

I am sure we all are a bit disappointed that the whole investing world doesn't have any clue what is happening with Tesla.
However, that will all be solved by time.
Now, it may be helpful that in the mean time we at least understand each other when communicating about our beloved stock.
As we have some British members here, may I suggest reading this in order to understand what some of us are writing?

IMG_6095.jpeg