Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see you post here very often. You don’t want TSLA to build the machine that builds the machine?
I don’t understand how an active member here can hold this point of view.

Can you go into more detail as to why you think TSLA should not pursue robotics?
I think Tesla should, and will pursue robotics. I just hope that they leads with SaaS first since it's more easily scalable, has a higher gross margin, and will be immediately profitable.

Reactions: gabeincal
I'm assuming the real world AI they want to apply to robotics is more sophisticated than mindless builder bots that does one task over and over again really well. Unless this is something that can help Tesla improve operational margins by giving builder bots more brain, I really don't care for them and would rather Tesla becomes AWS for AI training.
Once a robot is advanced enough to pick up fluff, the Dreadnaught can be launched.

Tesla probably need to do robotics to advance DoJo as a Service (DJAAS) for their other customers. Besides, SpaceX will need robots & advanced AI to go & hunt down inner asteroids for nickel, water etc.

The White House only invited the recognized leaders in the EV industry. /s

American politicians, regardless of party affiliation, seem to have an uncanny ability to overlook Tesla.
Sources familiar with the matter says Tesla is a company built on an anti-union reservation land that's not sovereign to the United States.

Ok, so it's AH...story time.

My ex currently has a company car, a hybrid. I can't count how many times she rolled her eyes when the kids would get all excited about my Model 3 or talk about the features etc. Recently her company car was wrecked (not by her). She is looking at buying a new car b/c a company car won't be included with a new gig. After asking for my thoughts on new cars she mentioned that a Model Y was at the top of the list.

I can't explain how bullish this is folks. She kinda hates me so skipping past the association with me and going for it is impressive. Seriously, bullish AF. Now I have to look at lease vs purchase and help out there.

TL;DR: US legislators are proposing a $2500 used EV credit for vehicles under 25K and 2 years old. Not much direct help to Tesla, but positive for the mission by creating more awareness.

"Dubbed the "Affordable EVs for Working Families Act," the bill would create a tax rebate of up to $2,500 for used electric cars. The credit would only apply to used cars that are at least two years old and cost less than $25,000, and be structured for EVs and PHEVs much like the existing EV tax credit."

Ok, so it's AH...story time.

My ex currently has a company car, a hybrid. I can't count how many times she rolled her eyes when the kids would get all excited about my Model 3 or talk about the features etc. Recently her company car was wrecked (not by her). She is looking at buying a new car b/c a company car won't be included with a new gig. After asking for my thoughts on new cars she mentioned that a Model Y was at the top of the list.

I can't explain how bullish this is folks. She kinda hates me so skipping past the association with me and going for it is impressive. Seriously, bullish AF. Now I have to look at lease vs purchase and help out there.

When my ex heard that I had bought a Tesla, she augered herself into the ground. I haven’t heard from her since, but that’s just braggadocio.

Model S- 39 or 48 months from unveil to first production delivery (depending if you start from official announce, or first prototype shown)

Model X- 43 months from unveil to first production delivery.

Model 3- 16 months from unveil to first production delivery.

Model Y- 12 months from unveil to first production delivery.

Cybertruck- 20 months since unveil, appears minimum of 5-6 more months before first production.

Roadster 2 and Semi- Both looking like minimum 60 months from unveil to production, best case.

So pretty dubious they go from unveil to deliveries in a few months here. Especially on a car they're gonna need a TON of batteries given the volumes it'd sell in, when they've already been delaying earlier announced products (and starving TE) for lack of batteries.

More beans probably spilled for AI day by this job listing.

Software Engineer, Autonomy - Mobile Robotics​

The Role

Tesla’s Mobile Robotics team designs, builds, and deploys systems enabling scalable and flexible manufacturing lines for Tesla's growing product and factory portfolio. Products include multi degree-of-freedom autonomous mobile robots. The team joins mechanical, electrical, software, and manufacturing engineering disciplines in a highly collaborative team.

Core to the robot’s full autonomy, the perception stack presents a unique opportunity to work on state-of-the-art algorithms for state estimation and motion planning, culminating in their deployment to real world production applications. The perception software engineer will develop and own this stack from inception to deployment. The ideal candidate will have previous hands-on experience developing mobile robot perception solutions for commercial applications.

Responsibilities

• Build, integrate, and deploy real-time state-of-the-art perception models and algorithms into existing system architecture
  • Develop online and offline state estimation algorithms by fusing information from cameras, IMUs, and other sensors
  • Test and debug your solutions in realistic situations including in customer applications
  • Validate and document performance of algorithms and models in real and simulated environments
  • Design and build automatic data pipelines that create high quality, unbiased ground truth labels for neural network model training and deployment
  • Create robust sensor calibration routines that perform reliably in complex and unpredictable environments

More beans probably spilled for AI day by this job listing.

Software Engineer, Autonomy - Mobile Robotics​

The Role

Tesla’s Mobile Robotics team designs, builds, and deploys systems enabling scalable and flexible manufacturing lines for Tesla's growing product and factory portfolio. Products include multi degree-of-freedom autonomous mobile robots. The team joins mechanical, electrical, software, and manufacturing engineering disciplines in a highly collaborative team.

Core to the robot’s full autonomy, the perception stack presents a unique opportunity to work on state-of-the-art algorithms for state estimation and motion planning, culminating in their deployment to real world production applications. The perception software engineer will develop and own this stack from inception to deployment. The ideal candidate will have previous hands-on experience developing mobile robot perception solutions for commercial applications.

Responsibilities

• Build, integrate, and deploy real-time state-of-the-art perception models and algorithms into existing system architecture
  • Develop online and offline state estimation algorithms by fusing information from cameras, IMUs, and other sensors
  • Test and debug your solutions in realistic situations including in customer applications
  • Validate and document performance of algorithms and models in real and simulated environments
  • Design and build automatic data pipelines that create high quality, unbiased ground truth labels for neural network model training and deployment
  • Create robust sensor calibration routines that perform reliably in complex and unpredictable environments
For robotaxi, there may be high robotic need to clean, service the car while it is charging all done by robots

Model S- 39 or 48 months from unveil to first production delivery (depending if you start from official announce, or first prototype shown)

Model X- 43 months from unveil to first production delivery.

Model 3- 16 months from unveil to first production delivery.

Model Y- 12 months from unveil to first production delivery.

Cybertruck- 20 months since unveil, appears minimum of 5-6 more months before first production.

Roadster 2 and Semi- Both looking like minimum 60 months from unveil to production, best case.

So pretty dubious they go from unveil to deliveries in a few months here. Especially on a car they're gonna need a TON of batteries given the volumes it'd sell in, when they've already been delaying earlier announced products (and starving TE) for lack of batteries.

Model 3 and Y had biggest potential Osborne effect so those timelines had to be minimized.

Model 2 will be minimized even further. This is so obvious in how they won't even describe it with any detail in their development chart in the earnings report.

Model 2 unveil to release will be less than a year. You can take that to the bank.

I'm presuming -nah I know- Elon and his team are way smarter than I am ( even was, at my best), and know a whole lot more about tech /AI / sources of revenues that advance the mission. So even tho I'll play guess, it's only for personal entertainment purposes.

My most entertaining idea so far re investments and EV's is the toss up between Lucid and Faraday. I'm looking to bet 8:1 in favor of Faraday. And 60% of success one of them survives in some form ( becoming the luxe brand of Volvo aka Chinese owner X )
Why Faraday?

Following my observations on the pricing on the Model X Plaid in Europe, I ordered one... Yes, I have a Model S Plaid on order too, but wifey is very much leaning on me to stick with an X, given that we have three kids and three dogs... Yes, I was thinking to keep the current X for road-trips, especially as I have life-time Supercharging and connectivity, FSD and HW3, etc., but it's a 7-seater with the old monopole seats, which look very sexy, but aren't remotely useful, i.e., you can't fold them flat... and it charges real slow, plus being pre-raven it's not the most comfortable and quite creaky and rattly, etc, etc...

As deliveries appear to be probably not until 2022, I'll sleep on it a few months before deciding, if I choose the X I can console myself that the car after that will be an R2...
View attachment 691915

All this talk about the MX Plaid being a screaming deal has me majorly “FOMOing.” Now look what you made me do:

3A56E10E-1492-4CC4-8C62-999D9B4E541E.jpeg

Last edited: