Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During my 45 year professional career I helped create, worked in or helped dismantle many joint ventures. Factually, more than 100, in many countries, at least a few on every permanently populated continent. None have been successful unless one side had absolute control and the other acted as a supplier or semi-passive investor.

Thus entities such as Airbus, Shell, SWIFT and the ones that have been structured to actually avoid governance issues by not really being quite JV's (e.g. Apple/Foxconn, Tesla/Panasonic) are not really exceptions to the rule. Even those have periodic crises that threaten their survival.

Frankly I think it would be quite plausible for Tesla to have relationships with OEM'S, public energy utilities, mining companies and others that could be durable and beneficial. For example, CATL seems quite close to that already. Probably there are a fair number of other suppliers and customers (mostly in TE, probably) already in that category. We will also see some emerging JV-like relationships with financial institutions including insurance companies.

As Tesla grows there will be more and more of those. It is not implausible for those to develop from Supercharger sharing, tier one suppliers beyond batteries (is LK/IDRA already there?) and more.
We don't really need to have the old-fashioned JV's to extract the benefits without enduring the pain.

Whether we like it or not the hugely complex supply chain issues are now being sources of conflict and outright business failures. Government policies play an outsized role in that (see UK today for reference). So too do business short-term thinking (see semiconductor crisis for reference).

Thus far Tesla has done a stellar job of developing and executing fast workarounds for such issues. That very fast reaction and manufacturing change to cope with unforeseen events distinguishes Tesla (and SpaceX) from nearly everyone else.

This quarter Tesla once again proven that it has manufacturing, design and process advantages oven nearly all competitors. Those would ahem been impossible if Tesla did not have very close connections with myriad outside entities. They don't call them JV's or anything like that.

Less us consider those things when we observe business volume and profit numbers from Tesla.
I actually believe Tesla has succeeded more because they’re willing to do it themselves as relying on others has brought on many of the issues.

We need more batteries. We’re telling the whole world we need more batteries. Who moved first? Tesla. It doesn’t count after the fact in my world.

We need to improve manufacturing processes. Make better use of factory space. Simplify the process. Make cars like Mattel makes toys. Who moved first? Tesla.

Make us space age doors. We tried, we failed. Never mind we’ll do it ourselves.

Build us safe and comfortable seats for cars. Pfft! Never mind we’ll do it.

More raw materials? Fine we’ll look into going directly to the mines.
We need special stainless steel - meh, we’ll come up with the formula ourselves. Oh, did we forget Tesla’s foundry?

Solar has to have battery storage and an integrated inverter and smart software - yup, we got this ourselves.

Chip shortage? Fine, we’ll just do some new software so we can use whatever chips we can get our hands on. Oh, it’s too expensive for Tesla to mfg their own chips. Uh, huh.

Insurance costs our customers too much. Fine, we’ll do that too.

And we’ll build our own AI stuff and Dojo and a Tesla bot and on the list goes.

I think it irks Elon to no end that he has to depend on others; others who move like snails, others who can’t deliver what they promise, others who don’t get it.

How many times has he said in frustration, we can only go as fast as the slowest part? We have to go faster.

No. As much as you think partnerships and relationships will grow in number and significance, I believe the opposite will happen simply because nobody to date has stepped up to the table and laid it all out. Everyone else is playing at it. Some playing better, but nobody risking everything for all except Elon and his companies.

I hope this works .... I've been watching Elon for two years now. And while I appreciate what he has done for me, and is doing for the world, I always saw him as having an inferiority vibe. To me he's uncomfortable all the time... I don't know what it is..sometimes I think he's tired of herding cats, other times I think he just feels like he is incapable of making anyone understand him...
But dude! If this photo shows up (my tweet skills are in embryonic form) look at this image. You know he's the man, the photographer knows he's the man, the graduates know he's the man. And he knows we all know..the truth.
The photographer captured it perfectly... look at the graduates in the background. Most of them are no longer facing the stage.Even though Elon has his back to them and is walking away, and is far from them there are still quite a few staring at him.

Was he famous even when he was at college? What was his accomplishment at that time for him to be famous?

Funny, but Tesla and Elon are going to get exactly the type of driver they want for FSD. A driver who will monitor FSD and their surroundings insuring they will take over quickly and avoid accidents. Its no surprise Elon pointed out there are 2k FSD beta drivers with no accidents in the past year. Drivers that don't care about their Safety score probably won't monitor FSD as well as they should and Tesla knows that.

The greatest danger by far these days is people distracted on phones.

Turning on camera monitoring and submitting DMV points is the rock solid approach for gating FSD beta admission. Sharp turns and harder braking are weird metrics. Randy Pobst would be an awful driver under the current scoring system.

Should score along the lines as

+10 clean DMV record
+10 married with children
+10 FSD priority for owners since 2016
+9 FSD priority for owners since 2017. etc
+10 speed limit adherence (to a certain degree)
+100 for long term, significant shareholder (you'd protect your own shares wouldn't you?)

-50 if your phone contains "selfies"
-200 if you have an Instagram account.

Throw me at this algo. I'll get you high reward, low risk drivers in a hurry.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the weekend headline on CNBC:

"Tesla misses estimates, delivers 250,000 cars"

Haha we may laugh, but the Media has literally done just this in the past: claimed Tesla had a 'miss' when the P&D report clearly showed a 'beat'. Then they wait a few hours for all the secondary news media amplify and reinforce their misinformation. Finally, they print a low-key 'correction' in a non-headline story to CYA for legal purposes (all while hiding behind the 1st Amendment).

Some version of this media scam happens every quarter, so reliably that you can bet your money on it. ;)

Cheers!

Haha we may laugh, but the Media has literally done just this in the past: claimed Tesla had a 'miss' when the P&D report clearly showed a 'beat'. Then they wait a few hours for all the secondary news media amplify and reinforce their misinformation. Finally, they print a low-key 'correction' in a non-headline story to CYA for legal purposes (all while hiding behind the 1st Amendment).

Some version of this media scam happens every quarter, so reliably that you can bet your money on it. ;)

Cheers!

While aggravating it's basically a derivative of a SHORT on TSLA.

What is short must be covered. On blowout numbers but crash due to propaganda is a confirmation buy signal. While they keep yapping, we just keep loading.

Though lets ask honestly, does this fake reporting actually hurt big money with longs? Would someone with a million TSLA shares see 250K as a miss and unload the position?

It's good for shorts to attack but those are short term gains for them and quite risky.

While aggravating it's basically a derivative of a SHORT on TSLA.

What is short must be covered. On blowout numbers but crash due to propaganda is a confirmation buy signal. While they keep yapping, we just keep loading.

Though lets ask honestly, does this fake reporting actually hurt big money with longs? Would someone with a million TSLA shares see 250K as a miss and unload the position?

It's good for shorts to attack but those are short term gains for them and quite risky.

Nope. In fact no matter what CNBC or Rueters or whoever reports on the Q3 P/D numbers, it does practically nothing when it comes to how the share price will act on Monday.

The Wall St media coverage of TSLA is annoying for sure, but it does nothing to actually impact the stock. The forces that actually push the stock in one direction or the other could care less that CNBC tries to paint anything less than 203k as a "miss" when the consensus is 220k.

Cheers!
And you can too (bet your money on it)! Buy a few puts or sell a few calls to benefit when the shares go down...

• Informative
Reactions: Paul_SF
I...

No. As much as you think partnerships and relationships will grow in number and significance, I believe the opposite will happen simply because nobody to date has stepped up to the table and laid it all out. Everyone else is playing at it. Some playing better, but nobody risking everything for all except Elon and his companies.
As much as I usually agree with you, this time I think you misunderstood the point. It is precisely the Teals approach that allows them to work with suppliers to get the best they can for their needs, and that makes Tesla a better partner for others because Tesla 'improves the breed':

Tesla uses suppliers when they can do better from them, batteries for example:
-CATL has a growing Tesla relationship. (Elon repeats that they have no plan to replace suppliers, but to supplement them.
-Both Samsung SDI and LG are bidding on 4680 supplies and both already supply Tesla.
-Then there are the LG/IDRA cases.
- and there are a huge array of shipping and logistics relationships, some fo which seem to be very close.

and many more.
Your point about Tesla vertical integration is valid, but ignores how crucial supplier networks are to Tesla. When a supplier fails they are replaced as we have seen, but Tesla does work hard to keep suppliers efficient and successful. They must do so.

It's really not fair that NIO released their numbers last night and we have to wait for Saturday. :(
I understand the "Chinese Automakers" delivered record numbers, but did anyone else notice how much more was made of the story in the USA?
I immediately thought it was an attempt to make TSLA's numbers appear "normal" considering everyone in China is selling a huge number of EV's.

Reactions: Nocturnal
It's really not fair that NIO released their numbers last night and we have to wait for Saturday. :(

Will it make you feel better to know that even with a 100% YOY increase in deliveries for Nio, they (along with all the other Chinese EV makers) are continuing to fall FURTHER behind Tesla? Because Tesla is already at such a larger scale, a 75% increase in YOY sales for Tesla means that Nio with 100% YOY sales is falling further behind.....not catching up.

Now think about the next 2 years where Tesla will be able to match their YOY growth rates....making Nio and the other EV makers fall not just behind......but so far behind that they can't be seen.

I think we may be forgetting how fast this is all moving, the 45 minute PBS show really put it back in perspective for me.

Yes, Elon is blasting his way into every corner of human society and is taking on more and more as necessary to keep momentum. But his wake will be massive. As disruption turns to status quo, commodity markets will conform to Elon's speed.

Hell, soon enough he'll be able to offload some responsibilities. I think he's shown that even with things as crucial as supercharging infrastructure. He's purposely moved that from being part of the purchase to being something you pay for. The hope here is that the market will bring their charging efforts up to Tesla's level and Elon won't have to do the whole thing.

Panasonic has been read the riot act and is now compliant, others will be forced to follow. Elon's only been king for like 24-32 months, it'll accelerate.

🤔 🤷‍♂️
View attachment 716693
My only concern that keeps nagging at me is.... has GM and Ford paid off enough federal officials to have all self driving software halted no matter what the data says? Remember it is a fact GM does not care about lives, only dollars. You are free to google that info yourself.

Realistically I think the other auto manufacturers are just confident they can simply buy third party software later when it is fully fleshed out and Tesla does not have a lead over other software companies like.... Waymo. (are they in for a surprise.... AGAIN)

Also as a side note. I don't think it should be legal for an auto manufacturer to be called an "AUTO" manufacturer because it is deceiving since their factories are not fully AUTOnomous. AND an automobile should not be have that name since it does not automatically make me mobile. I can not believe the regulators allowed that. I guess people were not as stupid back int he day.