Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

So..............VW and the German auto makers are still screwed, but at least they're acknowledging they're screwed.

Meanwhile here in the US, Ford and GM are in complete denial that they can compete even though they have Giga Texas staring them in the face which will decimate them even more than Giga Berlin will decimate the German auto makers.

So..............VW and the German auto makers are still screwed, but at least they're acknowledging they're screwed.

Meanwhile here in the US, Ford and GM are in complete denial that they can compete even though they have Giga Texas staring them in the face which will decimate them even more than Giga Berlin will decimate the German auto makers.
Well, some US auto makers are not so much screwed as Bolted ...

The whole thread is a must read.

The fractured tipping point continues to fracture...and tip.

Even though this has been predicted for years, it still surprises me with the speed at which the transition is happening.
They’re screwed, only they are finally beginning to understand just how screwed they are. I hate to laugh; no, no I don’t.

Zero sympathy. Die a slow, painful death, VW, like all the people affected by your well-thought out systematic lies.

They’re screwed, only they are finally beginning to understand just how screwed they are. I hate to laugh; no, no I don’t.

Zero sympathy. Die a slow, painful death, VW, like all the people affected by your well-thought out systematic lies.
Think about what an equity time bomb big auto companies are right now. In 20 years what is the collective value of Ford, GM, Stellantis, & VW going to be compared to now?

I think of companies like Blackberry and Nokia and how the smartphone industry rolled over their valuations and cringe thinking of all the people who's retirements are hinged on these companies which are likely not going to last until 2040.

Think about what an equity time bomb big auto companies are right now. In 20 years what is the collective value of Ford, GM, Stellantis, & VW going to be compared to now?

I think of companies like Blackberry and Nokia and how the smartphone industry rolled over their valuations and cringe thinking of all the people who's retirements are hinged on these companies which are likely not going to last until 2040.
Plus all those people with pension positions in funds that hold Exxon, DB, Monsanto ... oops, did I just mention bees again? 🙃

"Chips" is this super generic sounding term, but it encompasses hundreds of different processors. Most of them are super basic, VW's CEO suggested $0.50 chips holding up $50,000 cars.

Even if a processor is powerful enough, you can't just sub-in another one. Otherwise the auto industry would just slurp up the processors they use to make these: Raspberry Pi Pico

"Regulation driven"?

So Musk, along with the executives of every major auto maker have invented this giant cover up story? I think your tin-foil hat is a bit tight.
FYI, same team and at this point simply talking past each other.

There is a chip shortage. The extent of that shortage is what’s up for debate. None of us have enough information to say for certain and that’s really the problem.

I know I’m not taking GM at their word because they are known liars. Elon says there’s a shortage, Tesla is navigating that shortage with changing software, shortage should resolve itself some time next year. That’s all I need to know as a long term investor in TSLA.

might see a double edged sword of a P&D report this weekend: production of 250k with a quarter end annualized production rate of above 1 million, but deliveries somewhat less than that and closer to the Wall Street expected number due to unfavorable transport logistics situation

1633121419423.png

Nonsense.

In the first place, "chips" is a vast array of different products. You might as well say "Hoses" or "Clamps". For some tasks you can use a fairly basic micro-controller. For others you are looking at complete processors similar to what you might find in a smartphone.

Most of the chips in cars are used are for extremely basic functions. "When the temperature exceeds 200 degrees and this valve is open, turn on this pump".

Supercruise is a whole other problem set. You can't just run the Supercruise on the same microcontroller the fuel pump uses.

True, but has GM quietly stopped shipping all cars equipped with Supercruise? Or, is it just Cadillacs? Is this the beginning of the end of Supercruise? I don't think it's really about chips.

Supercruise has significant costs associated with it. Since it only works on designated freeway sections it requires precision mapping and verification of roads. This entails frequent OTA map updates to account for temporary road construction zones, road modifications like added, removed or re-designated lanes, carpool rules, speed limit changes, etc. These are safety critical updates that must be timely and error-free. Then there is the wireless bandwidth to download updated maps. Maps are one of the more data intensive downloads and it's critical they are up to date with Supercruise. The team required to keep all of this up to date and expand the capabilities to new freeways is substantial and, I would suggest, unsustainable. I think this is the beginning of the end of Supercruise as we know it. I bet the expansion of new roads slows to a halt and the system is quietly shelved. Unfortunately (for GM), they need to keep the existing system updated or offer refunds to every buyer. They will probably transfer the name "Supercruise" to whatever system they end up transitioning to in the next couple of years.

This is all my speculation but I don't see how their chosen system makes any sense in a modern world.

Last edited:
My cat Applesauce has been dead for 7 or 8 years, but the last few weeks I've been reading your posts in her voice. You two are shockingly alike.
That is an epically good name for a cat. ♥️ it! Good to know she still lives in your heart and mind, makes me like you more. Not enough to invite you to the mountain, just enough to stop work on your voodoo doll, though. For now.