Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's not typically how that works though.

They don't literally say "this specific tax money goes to this specific program" for each new tax.
I know that. The point is that if/when congress decides to levy a "direct" tax, they will need to ensure that the money derived from it is spent in the various states in proportion to their populations. Actually doing that has been so difficult that no congress has seriously tried.

Again, I know that's not typically how it works. Congress doesn't typically do direct taxes! This is different from what Congress typically does.

So even if the wealth tax (which is unlikely to even be in the final bill) was kicked out by courts, it wouldn't change the rest of the bill---they'd just get the $ for the rest of the bill elsewhere (probably by just printing it if history is any guide).
Well, there you go. Frankly, I just don't think this bill will pass if the plan out of the gate is "print more money". There are enough moderate Democrats who aren't going to sign up for a trillion dollars of unfunded spending.

Remember how part of the ACA funding was from the penalty charged for not having coverage? The penalty went away- but the ACA did not.

This analogy doesn't make sense, and I think you know it.

The penalty was never going to be a significant source of revenue for the program because the whole point was that everyone should sign up for healthcare (the other provisions, like non-denial of pre-existing conditions, don't work if everyone plays chicken and waits until they are sick to sign up). If everyone signs up, there's no penalty to pay for the ACA.

Further, the ACA penalty was repealed in an attempt to remove the constitutional grounds for the ACA. In other words, an attempt to back-door repeal the ACA (because doing it directly would be unpopular). Remember, the federal government was found to have authority for the ACA because the penalty was a tax (a direct one at that, which had to be apportioned to the states--and was), and the constitution says grants the feds the power to tax.

Finally, the optics of passing a bill that "a super-majority of Americans like this, but maybe it's not quite constitutional" is very different from "50% of both parties dislike this, it's expensive and the funding is plainly unconstitutional".

This will probably get us modded into the other thread (so I'm going to stop after this), but: You have to remember that 50% of both parties are suspicious of the rich (even the petite-rich, who will continue to get subsidies under this bill). Additionally, a large super-majority of one party is suspicious of anything "green" and a growing minority of the other party's extreme thinks that we should abandon cars completely. And this bill is expensive.

So how will you convince this (fairly large) coalition of doubters to pass the EV subsidy? Simple, promise to pay for it by soaking the rich. Oh, except that--oops--the particular way you're promising to soak the rich is clearly unconstitutional.

• Helpful
Reactions: Drax7 and Gigapress
TSLA way up on heavy volume during the After-hrs session. Flight to Quality after AAPL+AMZN misses?

TSLA After-Hours Quotes Live​

This page refreshes every 30 seconds.
Data last updated Oct 28, 2021 06:20 PM ET.

Consolidated Last Sale$1087.5 +10.46 (+0.97%)
After-Hours Volume1,065,531
After-Hours High$1088.8 (05:57:18 PM)
After-Hours Low$1037.8599 (04:26:31 PM)

TSLA way up on heavy volume during the After-hrs session. Flight to Quality after AAPL+AMZN misses?

TSLA After-Hours Quotes Live​

This page refreshes every 30 seconds.
Data last updated Oct 28, 2021 06:20 PM ET.

Consolidated Last Sale$1087.5 +10.46 (+0.97%)
After-Hours Volume1,065,531
After-Hours High$1088.8 (05:57:18 PM)
After-Hours Low$1037.8599 (04:26:31 PM)
That's exactly what they were preaching on CNBC coincidentally.

Not to sound paranoid, but it does seem like this Hertz deal has given the symbolic "ok" for companies to embrace Tesla. We saw it first with a few suppliers, and now it's moving to the mainstream.

Isn't it crazy to see an Amazon and Apple miss and AF drop translate into money flowing INTO Tesla AH? In the olden days Tesla would have dropped just for the fun of it.

Further, the ACA penalty was repealed in an attempt to remove the constitutional grounds for the ACA. In other words, an attempt to back-door repeal the ACA (because doing it directly would be unpopular).

That was kinda my point in mentioning it-- turns out removing one funding element in a law doesn't negate the rest of the law even though they'd hoped it would in that case.

So how will you convince this (fairly large) coalition of doubters to pass the EV subsidy? Simple, promise to pay for it by soaking the rich. Oh, except that--oops--the particular way you're promising to soak the rich is clearly unconstitutional.

Even Manchin was fine with the EV subsidy-since cars don't run on coal.

It was one of the least controversial bits in there (the DETAILS of it were subject to fair bits of debate, but not its existence) which is why I'm not shocked it survived (relatively largely) in tact.

And as mentioned, they already dropped the wealth tax idea, so apparently it wasn't needed to convince anybody.

• Informative
Reactions: floydboy
I do not care WHY the price is going up. That has been the plan all along.
You said a mouthful there. I've spent 48 hours trying to figure out why a 100,000 order by Hertz matters at all when TSLA can't fill all the orders from consumer demand as it is. What about this makes people decide now to buy TSLA? Meanwhile there seems to be a complete lack of any discussion (IRL not here, I mean) about 2 enormous factories that are about to open and essentially double production capacity of one of the fastest growing companies in the world. If anything that should have been a slow-burning catalyst for sustained buying for the last 6 months at least. I don't get this game at all. It did, however, give me the opportunity to increase my holdings this year so....thanks? It just seems impossible that I'm that much smarter than all these "professionals," but whatever. Crazy times.

You said a mouthful there. I've spent 48 hours trying to figure out why a 100,000 order by Hertz matters at all when TSLA can't fill all the orders from consumer demand as it is. What about this makes people decide now to buy TSLA? Meanwhile there seems to be a complete lack of any discussion (IRL not here, I mean) about 2 enormous factories that are about to open and essentially double production capacity of one of the fastest growing companies in the world. If anything that should have been a slow-burning catalyst for sustained buying for the last 6 months at least. I don't get this game at all. It did, however, give me the opportunity to increase my holdings this year so....thanks? It just seems impossible that I'm that much smarter than all these "professionals," but whatever. Crazy times.

Same reason the last couple awesome ERs were met with silence. It takes a while to build up enough pressure but once you do, the dam bursts.

Same reason the last couple awesome ERs were met with silence. It takes a while to build up enough pressure but once you do, the dam bursts.
Sure sure, but the last couple awesome ERs were awesome because of gigafactory China. Now, there are 2 more GFCs about to go on line and the stock rockets up in a couple days because of...Hertz?

Sure sure, but the last couple awesome ERs were awesome because of gigafactory China. Now, there are 2 more GFCs about to go on line and the stock rockets up in a couple days because of...Hertz?

Like the straw that broke the camels back. But Hertz was also on the back of an ATH after a record quarter and simultaneous with the Morgan Stanley upgrade.

Edit: And your're right, it probably is the gigafactories, Hertz is more of a media story, anyway.

You said a mouthful there. I've spent 48 hours trying to figure out why a 100,000 order by Hertz matters at all when TSLA can't fill all the orders from consumer demand as it is. What about this makes people decide now to buy TSLA? Meanwhile there seems to be a complete lack of any discussion (IRL not here, I me
Tesla is cell (and recently, chip) constrained. Until the supply chain improves, they cannot build more cars regardless of the number of factories. Hertz is buying the SR 3 which uses the lower energy density LFP packs. This version is not super compelling to most consumers (26% less range for 12% less cost) and use of the new cell supply is thus additive to total production.

In a year when internal (and external) 4680 production is flowing, additional LFP pack supply usage will still free up cells for Energy products.