Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The question is, will pumping more money accelerate the program as per Elon's timeline, or are we talking about fundamental technical/engineering issues still to be solved.. which can only be solved by bright dedicated minds and not by money.

Is this a money problem or a technology problem?
Hard to say from the outside looking in.

Money is probably to give people the time/resources to solve the problem.

Elon's past form is, the problems are often not a dire as he claims.

Last edited:
😂😂😂 (look closely at the cover)

1638248408065.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Have we ever seen analysts so universally non-negative on TSLA? I only see three red ones on my Fidelity screen!

Also, doesn't JPM have a $215 target? How does that translate to "neutral"?

View attachment 738899
JMP Securities (Neutral) is not JP Morgan (ridiculously low price target).

FUD? There is no need or expectation that the bed should be Aluminum.

View attachment 738641
I suspect that this is FUD. One of the most abused surfaces of a truck is the bed. Are we supposed to believe Tesla will use space grade hard cold rolled SS that can be hit with a sledgehammer and is bulletproof against a 9mm on the body panels and then use Aluminum or plastic for the truck bed? No way. More likely the story is about an optional accessory which would not hold up production of the CT at all....

Tesla-Cybertruck-tailgate-open.jpg

My super bull sonar is going off the charts haywire.

Just in the last 12 hours:
  • Elon may have sold all shares
  • More numerology on splits that I won't go into
  • Product roadmap update in 50 days time - will include bot, CT, Roadster, RT?, M2 and more
  • Cybertruck tech going to be even more futuristic
  • Possible SpaceX merger
  • Blow out qtr rumour theories
Product roadmap is my favourite. I can imagine that Elon will do 2 updates per year. Q4 call to set the tone for the year and annual shareholder meeting update in the summer.

NASA puts $3 Billion into SpaceX for Lunar mission,
(We have seen a SpaceX launch and _landing_ from the Cape, ArabSat), (we illegally parked almost next to a Tesla with SpaceX tags), and have seen a constellation of ~60 sattelites drift overhead and night launches from very far off. I doubt SpaceX is in trouble

(Isn't it nice when you consider the $60 Billion in aggregate losses by the shorts, could possibly have actually, unwittingly, funded the building of _all_ the gigafactories, SpaceX 'n other projects, the ca$h left over. (such a deal, barely controlable smiles-)

Perhaps we should actually thank the shortz, for their ongoing, unwavering, support of Tesla and SpaceX and Elon and that incredible pile of money they keep throwing at us for inscrutable reasons

I thank them for a very comfortable retirement when chatting with them, (ungrateful wretches though they are, shouting most foul imprecations at me))

My super bull sonar is going off the charts haywire.

Just in the last 12 hours:
  • Elon may have sold all shares
  • More numerology on splits that I won't go into
  • Product roadmap update in 50 days time - will include bot, CT, Roadster, RT?, M2 and more
  • Cybertruck tech going to be even more futuristic
  • Possible SpaceX merger
  • Blow out qtr rumour theories
Product roadmap is my favourite. I can imagine that Elon will do 2 updates per year. Q4 call to set the tone for the year and annual shareholder meeting update in the summer.
no sales _reported_ as of 3:37 EST 11/30/2021 (GMT -5)

Regarding the Nikola FCEV, I wonder, am I missing something? No one seems to be reacting to the 200kW maximum output of the truck. When asked to translate to horsepower, the Nikola spokesperson said "100 kW is roughly 135 horsepower, so we're looking into(the total output of the two fuel cells) around 270 HP."

If that is the production intent, this seems to be an extremely underpowered rig. For reference, the average class 8 semi has 400-600 HP and the original specs for the Tesla Semi had 4 Model 3 electric motors, EACH outputting 211 kW.

My RWD Model 3 has great acceleration, but I'm not sure I'd feel the same way if I was moving 80,000 lbs.

Will the Nikola have a large battery pack or ultracapacitors for better peak power and use the sustained output to charge? Even so, a long haul up a steep grade would be painfully slow...
I saw a study testing real world power requirements for a fully loaded truck in moderately hilly terrain. It was around 150 KW.
So for continuous travel Nikola should have enough. There's still a high power battery pack as a buffer for peak loads and regeneration.

• Informative
Reactions: Stretch2727
Curious article in WaPo (not by Siddiqui) about semiconductor shortage potentially delaying EV targets. Tesla has managed to navigate this issue better than other automakers. However, it seems illogical to me that an EV would inherently need/use more semiconductors than a modern ICE vehicle. Does anyone know if this statement is accurate?

According to the Commerce Secretary “Probably the car you drive now has hundreds of chips. The [electric vehicle] that we want you to buy over time has two thousand chips,”

According to the Commerce Secretary “Probably the car you drive now has hundreds of chips. The [electric vehicle] that we want you to buy over time has two thousand chips,”

The EV "they" want you to buy? Likely true since it's gonna be a mismash of 3rd party suppliers parts bin junk forced to work together.

Tesla EVs? not so much.

The EV "they" want you to buy? Likely true since it's gonna be a mismash of 3rd party suppliers parts bin junk forced to work together.

Tesla EVs? not so much.

don’t forget the “over time” stipulation to her statement. gm and ford need more time from all the can-kicking

leading the world in delaying-ev-adoption-

(Timestamp: 4:18)

I've listened to Mary Barra's answer to this question (about EV market share) a few times now and have been completely baffled every time - wondering if she's crazy, delusional or just outright lying. But I think I have just figured out what she is saying. It seems she is deliberately ignoring that the question was about EV market share and instead focusing on the overall market share for all vehicles (including ICE!!).

For all light vehicles, GM had the largest market share in the US at around 17% in 2020 (about 2.5M):
https://www.statista.com/statistics/249375/us-market-share-of-selected-automobile-manufacturers/

It seems like she is saying they are the current market leaders (for all vehicles including ICE) - and have been for many years - and they are not ceding that position to anyone.

Even if you look at it from that perspective though, GM sales for ICE vehicles are going to fall off a cliff in the next few years and their plans for ramping EVs are not sufficient for them to continue to maintain that leadership position (given how quickly Tesla plan to scale production).