Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The roadster will probably need less than 1 GWh to satisfy production.

It probably also has the highest profit per KWh of capacity as well as being a rolling advertisement.
Not talking about the battery needs. More talking about factory space and distraction from ramping up other vehicles. I would say until Model S and Model X are being produced in numbers so that wait is weeks rather then months then vanity project like Roadster can really get going. Honestly with demand the way it is now do we need rolling advertisement that very few people will actually see?

All I want to hear is that 4680 production is on, or ahead of schedule. Everything else flows from that.

What about the 60% of CATL's planned 80 GWh/yr LFP pack capacity already up and running in Shanghai, <2km from Tesla's Gigafactory?

That's easily enough battery packs for 1.2M Models 3/Y SR (each w. 60KWh packs). And how about the cost of $80/KWh which is about 33% less than Panasonic NCA cells?

Then all those unneeded NCM cells from LG Energy can be shipped direct to Giga Berlin, where the Performance Model Y will sell for outstanding margins?

No, 4680 cells are the cream of the crop, but LFP packs are the meat and potatoes. :D

Cheers!

The "service issue is a problem" needs to be analyzed in a competent manner which means avoiding the temptation of using media reports of antidotal incidents and applying them to the general population of Tesla owners. First principles thinking must be used

Elon himself has repeatedly agreed Tesla has done a poor job opening enough service centers, in enough places, fast enough.

Do you think he failed to analyze in a competent manner using first principles thinking and was instead using media reports to reach that conclusion over and over again?

Why, specifically, do you disagree with Elon on this?

Thanks for pointing this out. I wasn't checking MSFT today but this information changes my opinion on what Tesla needs to post for positive traction.
I think if JPOW calms the market, any beat will send us up. If JPOW makes the market flat, we will need a hefty beat. If JPOW destroys us, could be another few days of pain.

Im hoping a calming with a MASSIVE BEAT =D

Elon TOLD investors to pay attention to Batteries and FSD duirng the 2019 AGM Q&A, and yet somehow you resist. Is it that some very basic, pre-frontal level of abstraction, don't believe in exponetials?

If you don't, I suggest you are in danger of selling. JMO.

HTH. #DOJO
I'm just not seeing the FSD progress being or getting exponential, and even if it was, it won't eliminate the occasional disastrous corner case on any particular time scale.

But we'll see how this discussion ages. Not in danger of selling, I'm just not adding FSD valuation to my evaluation cart any time soon.

Meanwhile strange queens dancing about in front of bricks distributing rice is no basis to form a system of FSD valuations.

And another edit- I'm not suggesting a lower TSLA value, only that we're unrealistically eager ad we'll have to wait longer for the full FSD value.

Last edited:
Before we get into yet another @Knightshade / @StealthP3D marathon argument about nothing.......lets all take a deep breath and think about how we'd like to spend our earnings day.

Yes, this has been tumultuous at best. But the macros are cooperating! Lets laugh as the shorts get squeezed for the 900th time rather than engage in the same old masturbatory technical "discussion".

its-a-celebration-enjoy-yo-self.jpg

I think if JPOW calms the market, any beat will send us up. If JPOW makes the market flat, we will need a hefty beat. If JPOW destroys us, could be another few days of pain.

Im hoping a calming with a MASSIVE BEAT =D
I don't think the numbers will matter that much unless they are surprisingly bad or spectacular good. What matters is if Elon says to much or to little to satisfy the media/analysts. There is a larger than zero chance of him saying something that can be seen as negative if you are looking for negatives. We know many will.

please translate?
There are people reading here which are non-native english speakers, and such things are hard to understand/follow :)
10 Year Treasury bond yield is a metric used to determine the outlook of the market. As people become wary of the market, they invest in treasury bonds that have a steady yield, but don't pay very well. Id like to hear others explanations here also. Everyone has been watching the 10YR increase slowly as inflation fears have spooked the market. I like to look at this on a 5-10 year timeline.

I don't think the numbers will matter that much unless they are surprisingly bad or spectacular good. What matters is if Elon says to much or to little to satisfy the media/analysts. There is a larger than zero chance of him saying something that can be seen as negative if you are looking for negatives. We know many will.
Agreed. Elon is a wild card and it makes me nervous.

So, about gap filling...

If we closed yesterday at 918, and open today at 955, does it mean there will be a day where we go back to 918 anyway?
I am not an expert by any measure, but my understanding is that a gap is defined between the high of one day and the low of the next day, i.e. we would have a gap if today's low was above yesterday's high, which was 951, but today we already went below 940, so no gap.

ps: In other words, there is a gap if the daily candles do not overlap, but between yesterday and today, we already have a $11 overlap.

Note:my gut feeling is that we will have a gap between today and tomorrow, though...

Last edited:
Someone help me here....

Isn't the main cause of inflation right now the result of limited supply and not incredible economic growth?
Why on Earth would the Fed want to raise interest rates and further slow down an economy that is being strangled by supply chain disruptions?
Hold on and I'll call a press conference to discuss it. Does 2:30 today work for you? :)

Well I hate to say it but I just sold the shares I bought Monday on margin for almost $100 profit per share. I'm still very long 95% of my accounts but that nice little profit will both pay my taxes for 2021 AND buy me the RadRover 6 electric mountain bike I'm planning to buy in the spring, woohoo! :D

Now I can just relax and watch how the rest of this unfolds peacefully, without a care or stress in the world. As a HODL'er I don't really care much what Powell says today or how the market reacts to Tesla's ER this evening, it will all even out long term. Good luck to anyone doing options this week, man I wouldn't be able to sleep if I was. 😮

Someone help me here....

Isn't the main cause of inflation right now the result of limited supply and not incredible economic growth?
Why on Earth would the Fed want to raise interest rates and further slow down an economy that is being strangled by supply chain disruptions?

The current cause(s) of inflation, and if it's transitory or not, is a matter of considerable debate

The short answer is: It's complicated.

Longer decent overview of some of these factors (with of course the authors own interpretation of them) and which may or may not translate to short term vs long term inflation here:

The current cause(s) of inflation, and if it's transitory or not, is a matter of considerable debate

The short answer is: It's complicated.

Longer decent overview of some of these factors (with of course the authors own interpretation of them) and which may or may not translate to short term vs long term inflation here:

Turns out you can't just print up trillions of dollars....who knew ? 🤷‍♂️

Top negative arguments when speaking to german peers on tesla are build quality and service - built quality everyone thinks will be adressed by made in germany this year - but service is still bad, you can watch KnowYouKnow video on details - but from my perspective in Germany there needs to be a corporate commitment on good service.
That is a very interesting perspective. So, as I ponder this and observe how Tesla has adjusted its operations to be successful in China, I’m going to conjecture that Tesla will make such a commitment in Germany to be successful there. And further one can extrapolate or more correctly interpolate what it might mean for why Tesla operates in the US and Canada and possibly other countries as it does..