Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton
Stock Split Effected in Form of Stock Dividend (“Stock Split”) Alphabet today announced that the Board of Directors had approved and declared a 20-for-one stock split (the “Stock Split”) in the form of a one-time special stock dividend on each share of the Company’s Class A, Class B, and Class C stock. The Stock Split is subject to stockholder approval of an amendment to the Company’s Amended and Restated Certificate of Incorporation to increase the number of authorized shares of Class A, Class B, and Class C stock to accommodate the Stock Split. If approval is obtained, each of the Company’s stockholders of record at the close of business on July 1, 2022 (the “Record Date”), will receive, after the close of business on July 15, 2022, a dividend of 19 additional shares of the same class of stock for every share held by such stockholder as of the Record Date.

So, we're back to the "Could Tesla announce a split subject to shareholder approval?"

So, we're back to the "Could Tesla announce a split subject to shareholder approval?"
I'll take stock splits over politics and California stops :D

But I am curious, what downside would there be to do a 100:1 stock dividend split vs a 10:1? Would it exacerbate the short term issue of heavy option trading causing volatility?

You might be disappointed then because on the earnings call, Tesla made it seem like they're going blend the production of Fremont and Austin Y's together with the same specs (with the Austin Y using the 4680 cells/structural pack which means overall less cells needed). So there would be no way of knowing if you have a Fremont or Austin made Y at the point of delivery.....and I'm sure if you tried to decline the delivery over it being a Fremont made Y, they'll cancel your order and make you pay the new/higher sale price.
Maybe. But there will probably lots of people like us who just don’t care. Our delivery window has been delayed again till 26 feb to mar 26. To us it makes no difference. They’ll be people willing to take a rejected freemont car. I’m sure.

What would be the risks though that they aren't already taking in ramping Austin with 4680 Cells and the structural battery pack? Because those risks are already there.

Seems like a win win win to create a plaid or extra range version with a higher price tag with bigger margin to actually help mitigate the risks that they're already taking.

There will be a time and a place for adding higher priced versions with higher margins but, for now, I like their laser focus on keeping it simple and making as many as possible, as quickly as possible. manufacturing is hard and, once that is fully grasped, the path they are taking now makes the most sense. It may not be the sexiest or most interesting path, but it's the way to create the most "value" for the most customers, with the least resources and least amount of risk.

Keep it simple and ramp as fast as possible. Hopefully the chip situation has eased, and they can dazzle us with the quick ramp.

AMD up 10%. Just need Nvidia to not suck. Tech reversal here we GO!
NVDA is 2/16, but they'll be great, huge demand and throughput currently with all their products. Really the only shop in town currently for AI development and massive cloud scale. AMD is nowhere to be seen other than in Tesla's and game consoles.

Looking better than ever for moving back up to ATHs.

I read that Ford is going all in on EV manufacturing with a press release saying $10-$20B investment over the next 5-10 years (Reuters in my Fidelity portfolio feed). I think that works out to $1-$4B per year! That is a mix of factory retooling and R&D, and that sounds like R&D plus capital expenditures.

Looking back over the last year of Tesla's financials I see ~$6.5b capital plus ~$2.5B R&D. Of course some of that is for non-auto segments, but I'm treating those other segments as trivial enough to round to 0. Could make it $8B total and assign $1B to those though if you wanted.

Comparison - press release saying $1-4B per year over the next 5-10 years vs. actual ~$8-9B last year. I'm liking option 2.

I guess it is fair to point out that this is probably a promise of incremental expenditure on Ford's part relative to previous press releases. I don't have those other press releases at hand so I'm unable to add those additional future promises.
Tesla is also incredibly efficient with capital so the impact will likely be bigger that the numbers suggest.

Though Ford is seemingly making a good run at #2.

GM just reported earnings and gave guidance of 13-15 billion in "operating" profits for 2022. Meaning 2022 will be the year that Tesla's passes GM's annual profits.....likely comfortably beating GM"s operating profits.
But did we beat them on total Q4 EV ‘sells’? That’s what Gordon wants to know. I reckon it is close.

GOOG + 9% AH .. on good results news AND 20:1 split

From Dave on Twitter

$GOOG reported impressive Q4 earnings.
- 2021 net income: $76B (compared to $40B in 2020)
- 2021 revenue: $257B (compared to $182 in 2020)
- 2021 operating profit: $78.7B (compare to $41B in 2020)

AND they announced a 20:1 stock split effective July 15.

Keeping in mind, TSLA is in aggressive growth mode ..

FIN.GOOG.TSLA.jpg

Last edited: