Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Me. I don't think Twitter is important nor do I think Elon has any special ability to make it into something significantly better than it already is and quite likely could make it worse. It's very much a waste of his time at best, he could better spend his time working on issues at Tesla.
Time will tell.

Edit:
If there is one thing that Elon has no aptitude for, that thing would be "wasting time"

Last edited:
Assuming this does get signed into law, can anyone here state how this is more than symbolic? OPEC exists to set prices (well, production but it amounts to the same thing). So we can sue OPEC for existing? And what court would decide it has jurisdiction over an antitrust suit against OPEC?
Yea, I can't imagine it's anything more than symbolic. We can't pressure OPEC or the Saudis, how bad ya want that oil?

Me. I don't think Twitter is important nor do I think Elon has any special ability to make it into something significantly better than it already is and quite likely could make it worse. It's very much a waste of his time at best, he could better spend his time working on issues at Tesla.
You don’t think someone who uses Twitter consistently and effectively can improve on a platform which is run by people who never use the service?

I get the concerns over it being a distraction. But the idea that Musk couldn’t massively improve Twitter is just silly. Twitter doesn’t need genius leadership, it just needs competence. From the sounds of it Musk isn’t even going to run Twitter himself, my understanding is he has someone else in mind for CEO.

Critics have been laughing/complaining/doomsaying about Elon's business choices for decades. So far, he has proved them wrong. I'm willing to give the man a chance to implement his plans for Twitter before I join the critic chorus.

Elon started his career in software. Twitter is software.

Here, here!

As Jesus once said, those who are not against us are for us. I'm not a super fan of PHEVs, but as long as full ICE is still in the new car market, we can congratulate ICE to PHEV conquest sales. PHEVs are only about 1/3 of the EV market, so once BEVs are half of the new car market, we can focus on PHEV to BEV conquests. But till then, any ICE to EV conquest is a victory.

BTW, I'm still projecting that BEV will achieve 50% market share by about 2027. That's some serious ICE kicking!
Hmm. That’s a valid point. Here’s mine; should I sort of fix that broken leg or should I fix it properly and entirely right off?

You don’t think someone who uses Twitter consistently and effectively can improve on a platform which is run by people who never use the service?

I get the concerns over it being a distraction. But the idea that Musk couldn’t massively improve Twitter is just silly. Twitter doesn’t need genius leadership, it just needs competence. From the sounds of it Musk isn’t even going to run Twitter himself, my understanding is he has someone else in mind for CEO.

Not for nothing, but when Elon took over as CEO of Tesla way back when that was also supposed to be temporary :)

And he was promoted after that...absolutely zero that comes from them can be trusted without peer review.

Not for nothing, but when Elon took over as CEO of Tesla way back when that was also supposed to be temporary :)
I am very curious how much time Musk spends running the day-to-day aspects of Tesla, SpaceX, and The Boring Company.

It seem to me he has delegated most of the daily running to others and he can step away from any of them and they would run just fine for a significant amount of time. That frees Musk up to get involved in the engineering decisions which he prefers to be engaged in. When he gets involved in the day-to-day; it means things are seriously screwed up (Model 3 “production hell”)

This is my assumption, which is why the the idea that things will fall apart because he spends a week or two getting Twitter sorted isn’t really a huge concern. Right now things are running well at Tesla.

Last edited:
And folks - I'm a fan of Elon's work. I just don't believe having him focused as CEO of Twitter (an area where he's not proven to have great insight - social media) is an unwanted distraction away from his great, proven work at Tesla.

I suspect Tesla is being run on a day to day basis by others now. Drew and Zach seem very capable. I suspect even strategic decisions are starting to be made by them as well. I doubt Elon was intimately involved in the latest decision to expand Shanghai again, for example. Obviously he gave his blessing, but others probably came up with and developed the idea.

Elon was always the accidental CEO of Tesla. I suspect that he has been waiting for years and years to be able to finally quietly exit stage left as CEO of Tesla. While he hasn't pulled this trigger yet, he did warn us that he may not show up to all Tesla quarterly meetings going forward.

Right now, SpaceX, and now Twitter, are much more interesting problems to work on. Tesla is all about straightforward execution right now. Unless they have another manufacturing screw up like they did model 3 ramp, Elon will likely be content letting Drew handle things...

I suspect Tesla is being run on a day to day basis by others now. Drew and Zach seem very capable. I suspect even strategic decisions are starting to be made by them as well. I doubt Elon was intimately involved in the latest decision to expand Shanghai again, for example. Obviously he gave his blessing, but others probably came up with and developed the idea.

Elon was always the accidental CEO of Tesla. I suspect that he has been waiting for years and years to be able to finally quietly exit stage left as CEO of Tesla. While he hasn't pulled this trigger yet, he did warn us that he may not show up to all Tesla quarterly meetings going forward.

Right now, SpaceX, and now Twitter, are much more interesting problems to work on. Tesla is all about straightforward execution right now. Unless they have another manufacturing screw up like they did model 3 ramp, Elon will likely be content letting Drew handle things...

I hear you, but for simple example, I want Elon's mind on figuring out how to iron out the challenges with the 4680 program, bringing the Cyber Truck into reality, and being 3 years ahead of everyone else on what a low-cost compact Tesla should look like.

Otherwise Tesla turns into Apple, which yeah is profitable, but doesn't really innovate and change the industry like it did under Jobs.

Except that the next of the layered Tesla S-curves depends completely on generalized AI development - for FSD/Robotaxi and Optimus Bot. I don’t get the feeling that’s straightforward execution at this point.

Have we hit bottom yet? (Asking for a friend)

Maybe someone can tweet a reminder that there is a stock split coming up…? need to get the conversation back on track.
The stock split doesn't matter.......at least for the next 1-2 months minimum.

If it's not clear to everyone by now, didn't really matter what Powell said. Wall St had already predetermined that the market overall was going down. They already have a target that they're going for and every stock is going to get caught up in it. Then they'll claim the bottom is in and ride the market back up......all while saying now the Fed's are dovish.

The goal obviously is create as many stop losses and margin calls as they can before the ride back up. If it only costs tens of billions to drop the market enough to trigger those stop losses/margin calls, they'll make hundreds of billions.

Food for thought...we are actually at a higher SP now than where it opened on Monday:

1651778455292.png

Tesla stock is his currency, he can’t ignore that. The transition to sustainable energy and
FSD are strong objectives that keep him engaged.
Its highly unlikely he will abandon that for a chit chat website.

Hmm. That’s a valid point. Here’s mine; should I sort of fix that broken leg or should I fix it properly and entirely right off?
Another thought here. If we're dealing with millions of broke legs and we don't have enough surgical supplies to do surgery to repair all of them, maybe casts for some and surgery for the rest is a good starting point. Come back and do the rest of the surgeries later.

Ok - totally trying to extend your word picture, and not sure I'm at all successful :D. I'm willing to take an A for effort and D for execution though.

In the current world we have nowhere near enough battery supply to go all-in on EVs yet. Extending that battery supply by improving mileage on some of those ICE cars by turning them into hybrid / PHEVs - cars that will be on the road 12+ years from now either way - while the battery supply is catching up seems like a pretty good, though not ideal, solution.

The good news is that the hybrids / PHEVs will naturally disappear from the market. If nothing else the steadily shrinking pool of ICE vehicles on the road will drive lower and lower demand for gasoline, pushing gas station out of the market, to the point where ICE vehicles will become hard to refuel. Talk about a demand driver as the final scramble to ditch ICE vehicles hits.

Have we hit bottom yet? (Asking for a friend)

Maybe someone can tweet a reminder that there is a stock split coming up…? need to get the conversation back on track.

(in the voice of the Matrix kid with the spoon)

Don't think of it as hitting bottom.

Instead ask, how many more turns of the crank before Jack pops out of the box again?

🚀🌛🥳🤑