Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So instead of adding a new M3 line due to demand so insane they had to close the orders (which btw tesla rarely close the ability to order on a production car in the US..tesla has closed orders before on non-production cars), they decided now we have enough chips so let's start semi production early?

Tesla never even closed Model X refresh orders even knowing it's delayed for 6 months and back orders exceeded 1.5 years wait.

This is different. Those were products that were eventually going to be delivered. In light of the IRAct, Tesla can't even be sure they want to manufacture additional lower price variants.

There hasn't even been any clarity on how the $55k/$80k/whatever limits will be applied. Until there is, what's the point in taking/filling orders for anything other than the highest margin variants?

For all Tesla knows, they may need an entirely new variant mix and LR disappears completely. We should be spending (wasting?) our time brainstorming that new variant mix based on each possible interpretation of the subsidy limits.

Weekend retirement off-topic.

Watch out for One-More-Year syndrome.

Many of us are focusing our energy on building up the wall of protective money and insurance policies around us to ever-greater heights, working one last year and funding one last insurance policy against an obscure risk, when really our deficit is not in money. It’s in confidence.
Every day, I get emails from people describing their plentiful savings and unpleasant jobs, and then a description of the golden handcuffs or fearful assumptions that keep them working in their jobs.

They wonder when, if ever, they’ll be able to quit. When really, the problem is not the money, it’s the confidence. With confidence, they could quit right now.

Confidence allows you to change your current life entirely and instantly, without the need to change anything – because you’re just rearranging the feelings in your mind.

1660501521186.png

I disagree as one day, FSD will go wide release and everyone can see that this is pure fraud. I still hear folks talk about the Top Gear episode as fraud. Even though Tesla lost that, time has told that it was pure manipulation and outright fraud. They lost mainly due to the show being an 'entertainment' show rather than a fact based news show.
In the USA, there is no law or regulation that news / media must tell the truth. All of them hide behind the 'entertainment' excuse when pulled into a court room. There are no fact based news shows in the USA.

In the USA, there is no law or regulation that news / media must tell the truth. All of them hide behind the 'entertainment' excuse when pulled into a court room. There are no fact based news shows in the USA.
Should be a defamation libel lawsuit and if it is broadcast, the FCC will have involvement.

This is different. Those were products that were eventually going to be delivered. In light of the IRAct, Tesla can't even be sure they want to manufacture additional lower price variants.

There hasn't even been any clarity on how the $55k/$80k/whatever limits will be applied. Until there is, what's the point in taking/filling orders for anything other than the highest margin variants?

For all Tesla knows, they may need an entirely new variant mix and LR disappears completely. We should be spending (wasting?) our time brainstorming that new variant mix based on each possible interpretation of the subsidy limits.
The point is to sell cars. Tesla does not live or die by this tax credit. There's no world in which Tesla gets zero demand from M3 LR AWD UNLESS they qualify for the tax credit. I'm sure Tesla will try their best to accommodate but in this environment in which they can't meet demand and there's no other mass manufactured alternative, Tesla doesn't have to close order books and scramble to meet tax credit requirements for next year.

Yep, the Dawn Project "ad" is running nationally during the Sunday morning news shows days after it was shown that their methodology and results are suspect if not downright fraudulent.
It's not like the "Sunday morning news shows" care about integrity or facts. Anything for an audience, and pushing the lies and fud get more attention than pointing out that cars with FSD beta get in accidents at about 1% the rate of non-FSD cars.

That's not correct. The 2 months on the S LR is for the upgraded 21" wheels. If you want the Model S LR with no upgrades, delivery is Feb-May 2023.
There is a 6 to 9 month wait on the Model S LR; if you select options, you move to the head of the line.
Well, I just put in a dummy order for each of the models I wrote about, and that was the estimates Tesla gave me. I could have pushed one more button and completed the order AT THOSE DATES. I ordered white, black interior, small wheels, no FSD. I could go over to Orlando or Miami tomorrow and drive a Plaid home. I’m just stating the result of my test. I’d put up a screen shot if I knew how to do it.

Reactions: lafrisbee
I would think, when getting to retirement age, the thing to do would be to liquidate enough to establish a reliable income stream. At that point you can’t really have your entire net worth tied up in a volatile stock, no matter how much you believe in it.

I've been retired over 20 years and I decided NOT to develop a reliable income stream. In fact, I've had almost no income beyond capital gains (and an incidental amount of dividend and interest income) for those 22 years.

My capital gains have been so much larger than any income bearing security or instrument I could have bought with the same amount of money that it's not even a close call! The volatility of the market doesn't bother me, it actually helps me, because I liquidate stock periodically when the market is high, pay the capital gains and keep two years cash on hand so I am never forced to sell stock when I don't think the prices are favorable. Depending upon the current economic climate, it's often difficult to find any safe instrument that pays much over 5% (or even 3%). My capital has been growing at an unknown rate that is far above that, and also far above the rate at which we spend it, so this has left me in a *much* better position than if I had set up a safe, steady income stream. Capital gains are only unpredictable in the short-term, in the long-term it turns out they are very predictable! Even the non-Tesla portions of my accounts have been growing at a much faster rate than I could get using the same capital to buy an income stream.

But, yeah, you might be hard pressed to find a "professional" financial advisor that doesn't suggest setting up a regular income stream for retirement, I have a very dim view of conventional financial advisors (and I classify over 99% of them as conventional). Some things only seem to make sense due to the way the human brain works but actually makes little sense when looked at objectively. I have an irregular income stream of capital gains that is far superior. Of course, everyone has a somewhat different situation, so everyone should do what they think they must. Most will make bad decisions, that is an objective fact.

Well, I just put in a dummy order for each of the models I wrote about, and that was the estimates Tesla gave me. I could have pushed one more button and completed the order AT THOSE DATES. I ordered white, black interior, small wheels, no FSD. I could go over to Orlando or Miami tomorrow and drive a Plaid home. I’m just stating the result of my test. I’d put up a screen shot if I knew how to do it.

I did too and got Feb to May 2023. You are looking at Model S LR . . and not Plaid . .correct?
1660508955845.png

Last edited:

Assuming you know how to take a screenshot, but not how to add it to the site? You can just press Ctrl + P if on the desktop version of this site when posting and put your screenshot there. This is what I get by the way for the complete base Model S (see image) for US delivery. Feb 2023 - May 2023.

Model S LR.png

Last edited:
Reactions: WarpedOne
The point is to sell cars. Tesla does not live or die by this tax credit. There's no world in which Tesla gets zero demand from M3 LR AWD UNLESS they qualify for the tax credit. I'm sure Tesla will try their best to accommodate but in this environment in which they can't meet demand and there's no other mass manufactured alternative, Tesla doesn't have to close order books and scramble to meet tax credit requirements for next year.
Or perhaps Tesla knows what they are doing, and makes decisions for a reason.

We don't necessarily need to second guess every decision they make, worry about every decision, or know the full details on why decisions were made.

My guess is that the Fremont M3 line is still cranking out cars at the normal rate.

Strategically making Model Y with Front and Rear castings at all factories with a diverse mix of packs is important. Starting volume production of the Semi is important.

Weekend retirement off-topic.

Watch out for One-More-Year syndrome.

Hope he posts a follow-up article on how to pay a family of four’s health insurance premiums in “confidence”.

I did too and got Feb to May 2023. You are looking at Model S LR . . and not Plaid . .correct?
View attachment 840947
Yup. No need to order a Plaid as there are plenty available here. Since Tesla seems to be dumping excess Plaids here, I wonder if dates can vary by location. Puzzling. Even with your date range, that’s only a backlog of a few thousand cars. Did you order white/ black? Makes a difference too. If I order a Plaid, I get August delivery. Probably one of the cars already here. Maybe the difference we’re seeing on LR is related to cars already in the pipeline or refused at delivery.