Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something to think about:

Declining oil prices are really a US-only phenomenon. Between the dollar rising in value and Brent-WTI spreads widening from ~$2 to almost $10 now, the US is the only major country where oil prices are below their January average
Well the impetus for this price gouging was Russian sanctions, which weren't in place til Feb/Mar. All this fake volatility and manipulation has been only since then.

Looking at Brent or WTI, the chart shape is the same. We're mostly out of this manipulative period. Just need Putin to fall now.....

Screenshot_20220928-080335_CNBC.jpg

Well the impetus for this price gouging was Russian sanctions, which weren't in place til Feb/Mar. All this fake volatility and manipulation has been only since then.

Looking at Brent or WTI, the chart shape is the same. We're mostly out of this manipulative period. Just need Putin to fall now.....

View attachment 857698
However here is the European gas index price for comparison with that oil chart. Given that Tesla is a global company and the world economy is pretty interconnected, I'm afraid we are not out of the woods yet.

OIL
1664367282366.png

GAS

1664367175673.png

Something to think about:

Declining oil prices are really a US-only phenomenon. Between the dollar rising in value and Brent-WTI spreads widening from ~$2 to almost $10 now, the US is the only major country where oil prices are below their January average:

01/2022avg → today
🇺🇸 $83.22 → $78.80
🇨🇳 ¥549.97 → ¥626.03
🇪🇺 €76.47 → €90.50
🇯🇵 ¥9,942 → ¥12,522
🇬🇧 £60.28 → £81.64
🇦🇺 $120.59 → $135.18
🇨🇦 $105.05 → $108.55
🇷🇺 ₽6,619 → ₽3,990
🇨🇭 ₣73.53 → ₣85.60
🇸🇪 kr792.22 → kr1,031.70
🇳🇴 kr765.46→ kr947.61
🇩🇰 kr568.93 → kr673.32
🇳🇿 $128.38 → $154.04

The major exception is Russia, which after Europe stopped selling them imports, saw their trade surplus and currency soar, while simultaneously having to sell their oil at a ~$20 discount. This is now starting to severely impact their finances, as Russia is not a low cost producer the surplus over extraction costs (probably around ₽3,000/b) has dropped considerably.
U.S. to release 1 million barrels of oil per day from reserves to help cut gas prices

US Govt intervention ... guess we are good atleast till mid-terms ;)

Lest we forget, many of the same entities going after TSLA on a regular basis play no favorites when it comes to manipulating stocks.

The source is 'someone familiar with the matter'. The article also continues to say, that AAPL will now only produce as 'per guidance' 90 million units instead of the additional six million units that it never officially announced it was doing anyway. This production pop was reported previously by 'sources familiar with the matter' who stated that Apple expected an additional six million unit demand from the new product launch and was pushing suppliers to meet the new demand.... which it is allegedly not pushing for anymore.

Does all of this nonsense sound familiar? It should. We see it all the time.

BTW, it also mentioned that AAPL is seeing the highest demand for its highest priced product, the Pro. All in all, I would guess that come earnings time AAPL will beat expectations.

The timing of this is impeccable. A strike against the market leader and the entire market as it was struggling to regain support levels from previous lows. Our FUDster friends are pros for a reason.

Really curious to see how TSLA does tomorrow. Which stock is going to lead the next bull market anyway?
This 'news' is a daily occurrence over the past 10 years, sometimes hourly. TSLA remains highly sensitive to any (un)related news since continued profits, filled order books, increasing number of factories, and increasing margins are just too much positive for the market to handle.

As an aside, my iphone from 3 years ago needs replacing, sure i could have ordered it and waited, but thought why not check local inventory. Looking everyday for 2+ weeks, still no iphone pro in stock, only need one not six million. No one is giving up on apple's iphone, apple stores remain packed.

macro intervention ...

Futures tied to the Dow Jones Industrial Average rebounded into positive territory Wednesday following the Bank of England’s bond-buying plan to stabilize the falling British pound.
Plan is to raise interest rates while buying bonds?

No wonder UK such a hot mess.

I think Elon had something to do with iPhone 14 flop.
Any T-Mobile phone would be able to send text or make phone call with satellite coverage next year, this single handedly destroyed the biggest selling point of iPhone 14. I for one would be waiting for iPhone 15.
This has everything to do with an underwhelming product, and nothing about consumer confidence.
The iphone 14 (non pro) does not have the new A16 chip in it, it carries last years chip for the first time in a while. This would be for most the single biggest improvement and usually happened on each years upgrade. So they cut sales there. Then the pro version has little to offer even with the satellite option. That being said, Apple is selling a lot of $1000+ phones and making huge profits. Consumers are spending plenty.

Tesla focusing on fleet deliveries at quarter end - should help with making the wave less stressful on employees as delivering big batches to few professional customers should have much less overhead than to many individual private customers:

Tesla focusing on fleet deliveries at quarter end - should help with making the wave less stressful on employees as delivering big batches to few professional customers should have much less overhead than to many individual private customers:

The Q narrative of course is this is proof of the demand cliff and it's a desperate ploy to put off showing it in deliveries for one extra quarter.... (the "news" about Tesla planning to intentionally run Shanghai below max capacity just amplified that narrative)

I'm glad for India (especially since Tesla won't be there anytime soon).

We should all be glad for the mission. I backpacked 5 months throughout India in 2014 and the smog is some of the worst.

Some delivery questions.
Florida. How much of a hit on deliveries do we think the Hurricane will hurt deliveries? Anything really measurable?
Europe. See not many deliveries in Norway today and also very few Model 3 all quarter. Has demand for Model 3 in Norway dried up or has the MIC Model 3s not arrived in Norway yet and all the Model Y that have been delivered this month come from Berlin?

I'm glad for India (especially since Tesla won't be there anytime soon).

We should all be glad for the mission. I backpacked 5 months throughout India in 2014 and the smog is some of the worst.

Great for the mission. Just annoying when TSLAQ uses cars like these (that would lose in a head-on crash with a bicycle) to say that competition is coming for Tesla....

This national debt issue is mostly overstated. ..

The Federal Reserve also forgives interest payments on certain US Gov't debt (in theory, the FED is owned by the U.S.A), but this is more difficult to quantify. Paging @unk45 for insights.

In reality, it's interest payments on Foreign Debt that is the main issue. I think that also resolves to a 'Balance of Trade' issue,,,

It'll be fine... ;)

Not so fast, please. I'll skip most of the details, but if anybody wants a monetary policy primer I can make another thread on the subject. (my primary background on this subject stems form being a graduate student with seminar leader Scott E Pardee, Secretary of the FOMC at the time and later working with FOMC staffers on US Treasury open market operations). This response will also explain why Tesla will navigate all this with minimal risk.

The rare logical error for @Artful Dodger is that he's posted about 'stock' rather than 'flow'.
In order:
1. Social Security is a huge holder, but shrinking as boomers retire, pre-boomers live longer, and the present workforce is shrinking proportionately. This problem is in many countries so retirement ages are rising and eligibility tightening worldwide. Not enough:
2. China has been the largest buyer but now they are reducing US Treasuries. They are a net seller and have been for a while:
3. I'll not list more of the 'flow' problems, but here is the source that is definitive about the challenges:
4. So, why don't we see rapid rises in US Treasury yield this year:

Answering that accurately requires fairly deep analysis of buyers and sellers. The simplistic answer is that globally at the moment the US$ is less unattractive than are other options. That is what the idiot newspapers call, nationalistically, a 'flight to quality'. As it stands today more global trade is moving from US$ to CNY and Euro as well as various national currencies.
As this is developing the US$ global reserve position is falling, but still is dominant:
blog-dollar-dominance-and-the-rise-of-nontraditional-reserve-currencies

All of this makes clear that the US deficit problem is very serious and has been seriously neglected since the Clinton administration. This is not a crisis today but it soon will be. Why?
The IMF article pinpoints part fo the issue the issue succinctly, and as they always do, mildly.
1. Russia now is placing new reserves in CNY;
2. While China is steadily selling US Treasuries in small, for them, quantities;
3. The entire Eurozone is right now in serious deficit, Germany included.
4. With all that happening the US treasuries are getting a larger share of many countries national reserves;
5. So, the immediate problems dominate almost everyone, everywhere, and the auctions are fine so...
6. The only large clue that all is not well is the Fed tightening. Many people say Powell and the Board are incompetent. That is False. To those who are paying attention to detail they're being quite cautious.

Finally, much of this couples with commodity prices, transportation costs and logistic issues.
In y opinion, Elon Musk is one of very few major industrialists who actually understand all that and looks very hard at details. Everything I just posted is ignored by most people. Not Elon, not Zach. That, in turn is one key reason Tesla is now effectively debt free except for securitizations that give more liquidity at low cost and lower risk.

Just to clarify, when Elon Musk and his two partners formed x.com in 1999 they benefitted fro work done by Bank of Nova Scotia (Harris Fricker and Elon Musk met while entering at BMS). They, locally situated with SRI International (Stanford Research Institute) which had helped launch non-bank banks, and BNS was an SRI customer. The two learned US bank regulation and Federal Reserve functions very deeply. x.com was a non-bank bank. (anybody who wants more on that subject just PM me). Practically, liquidity management and funding were the two crucial requirements to launch a non-bank bank. The weaker the applicant the high the necessity for superb command of the subject. They( Elon and Greg Khouri )had only Zip-2 proceeds from sale to Compaq. Elon mastered all the principles ell enough to sail through Fed approval. At the time, IIRC, they were the only recipients of such a charter that had no corporate backing. FDIC insurance came with the package. This si not really a digression because Elon's Twitter plans, if they happened, were intended to form the base for a 2023 version. As a result of that interest Elon could write a PhD dissertation in liquidity management, bringing that knowledge to all his later ventures.

I know some of us talk about this rather than only about manufacturing, distribution and cash conversion cycles. Those are fundamental and Tesla is demonstrably superb at those.
We need to realize that, as some like @The Accountant for example, repeatedly focus on liquidity. Another equally important issue is that Tesla is rapidly moving to reduce the risk of disruption of any single factory, market, component or material. That is also mitigating FX risks without engaging in expensive hedging in open markets.

[I'm serious about the monetary policy primer, but I'll need a bit of time to gather information and translate all the jargon.]

Last edited:
Would be good to have an independent source for this accusation, this smells like total clickbait to me (have been following this and not seen any information pointing to arson). Although surprised electric viking would do that, not willing to give the video a click.
Nor I.

Kinda assumed it was much ado about nothing over the cardboard boxes that they put out with fire extinguishers at the German gigafactory a couple of days ago...