Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The fact that the Semi order sizes were fairly small (not Hertz fleet sized orders - maybe only 10 or 100 at first). This tells me we have a customer learning curve to process as well. So not a big revenue item until the Pepsi's out there start showing savings and solid use cases. Initially with fuel, then big time with FSD.
There's enough concern in CA about diesel truck emissions that Tesla might be able to get a good start on sales if customers are satisfied that they just won't lose money ordering Semis. Then their experience will lead to additional large orders.

or disguised as a boat :)
Or all sides polished to mirror finish.
A7B3111B-4847-45C9-A944-D777DAC3A0B8.gif

OTOH, European natural gas prices keep dropping: The dutch TTF future has now dropped back to levels not seen since june (155, to be compared with the 350 at the peak in august). This has also caused the electricity prices to go down, with base load prices down to around 16 cents/kWh (to be compared with prices briefly approaching 1 euro in august) in NL, BE and DE.
Tomorrowafternoon we have again negative hourly spot prices in NL and BE. There was a lot of wind this week in NL, with long periods of practically zero gas usage for electricity generation. France nuclear is slowly ramping up, but seems to be significantly behind the schedule I mentioned a few weeks ago.
OT, but of some relevance to Tesla's mission.

The first technology in the video RedoxBlox is having discussions with European factories requiring industrial heat. It is an elegant 'drop in' replacement for gas in many industrial applications.

OTOH, European natural gas prices keep dropping: The dutch TTF future has now dropped back to levels not seen since june (155, to be compared with the 350 at the peak in august). This has also caused the electricity prices to go down, with base load prices down to around 16 cents/kWh (to be compared with prices briefly approaching 1 euro in august) in NL, BE and DE.
Tomorrow afternoon we have again negative hourly spot prices in NL and BE. There was a lot of wind this week in NL, with long periods of practically zero gas usage for electricity generation. France nuclear is slowly ramping up, but seems to be significantly behind the schedule I mentioned a few weeks ago.
In a previous post you spoke about Germany's plan for LNG, but I think the cited articles were from May. Are they implementing their plans?

Amazingly clear explanation what makes the CyberTruck mechanically so good compared to any other design. The first 3 minutes is fluff though, so you may want to skip that.

(Found on Reddit)
@kanweg Thanks for posting this, excellent explanation of why CyberTruck is going to be superior to any other truck on the road, and not just because it's electric!

On Thursday, I checked out a Lyriq. I was quite impressed with the appearance inside and out and with the roominess. Sitting in the Y afterwards, I felt like I was in an economy car.

The MSRP of the Lyriq AWD version is $1,000 less than the Y LR (before dealer markup). This price comparison might lack significance though, as GM plans to make few 2023 Lyriqs, and prices will go up for 2024 with 2024 production starting in the spring.

To get to my point, in the future Tesla might benefit from having higher priced deluxe versions of the 3 and Y, along with lower priced plainer versions. If priced appropriately, this could give them similar average margin per car, higher unit sales, higher total margin, and some room to delay introduction of a new cheaper vehicle that might have lower margins than previous vehicles.

Last edited:
I hope everyone has a nice FUD free weekend! If you have survived this week you deserve to indulge in your favorite vice.
On Thursday, I checked out a Lyriq. I was quite impressed with the appearance inside and out and with the roominess. Sitting in the Y afterwards, I felt like I was in an economy car.

The MSRP of the Lyriq AWD version is $1,000 less than the Y LR (before dealer markup). This price comparison might lack significance though, as GM plans to make few 2023 Lyriqs, and prices will go up for 2024 with 2024 production starting in the spring.

To get to my point, in the future Tesla might benefit from having higher priced deluxe versions of the 3 and Y, along with lower priced plainer versions. If priced appropriately, this could give them similar average margin per car, higher unit sales, higher total margin, and some room to delay introduction of a new cheaper vehicle that might have lower margins than previous vehicles.
Would be an easy matter to offer upgraded seats and interior trim as a package vs offering entirely different lines like legacy offers.

My experience in examining Tesla competitors is that I need only look at what's under the hood to tell whether their engineering is even worth considering. Most feature a tangle of wires and hoses, an embarrassing nightmare of bad design and future repairs. But most at least try to have some sort of storage space. The Lyriq doesn't even try. Which means that it's almost certainly a complete piece of *sugar*. But it sounds like it's got lipstick!

So, anybody who knows different?

My experience in examining Tesla competitors is that I need only look at what's under the hood to tell whether their engineering is even worth considering. Most feature a tangle of wires and hoses, an embarrassing nightmare of bad design and future repairs. But most at least try to have some sort of storage space. The Lyriq doesn't even try. Which means that it's almost certainly a complete piece of *sugar*. But it sounds like it's got lipstick!

And just wait until the recalls start...

Paywalled, but you can get the drift. And I think this is just the start of difficulties that both startups and OEM's are going to have for the next few years...
Rivian Is Recalling Nearly All of Its Vehicles Rivian Is Recalling Nearly All of Its Vehicles
This would have been a much bigger problem if they were already closer to producing and delivering on that 25,000 target, they saved money when you really think about it

Bullish

I hope everyone has a nice FUD free weekend! If you have survived this week you deserve to indulge in your favorite vice.

Would be an easy matter to offer upgraded seats and interior trim as a package vs offering entirely different lines like legacy offers.
Apparently it's not an easy matter. Remember how Tesla was going that route but then decided to give every Model 3 the exact same trim but just have the range difference? They even give you all the hardware and all you need is to software unlock them later(minus the subwoofer).

I’m really not interested in comparing specs and looks of competing EVs. Tesla sells both a luxury car and is the undisputed leader in EVs, with a massive first mover advantage, including supercharger infrastructure.

Few people in the previous generation would compare the specs of a Ford car with a BMW or Mercedes, no matter how luxurious Ford made a car. BMW and Mercedes were status cars, and if you were not a status car you needed to significantly beat their prices to move cars off the lot.

There’s only one way at the moment for any car company to offer a car that would be a serious competitive threat to Tesla, and that would be to offer a decently spec’d car at 10k less cost. How can anyone do that now without massive losses?

Good

Tesla did just that years ago. My first Tesla had cloth seats and a metal roof. They also offered an executive rear seat and a 7 passenger version in the S.

Is that the cost before or after the dealership adds its 'market adjustment' fee?