Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, what took them so long: Opening the North American Charging Standard

Edit: This would have made more sense to do five years ago ... why now?
They did, if the OEMs would contribute to the SuperCharging network.

Things since then:
The government funding requires charge stations can't be locked to a single OEM.
Startups have been pinging Tesla to use the connector.
Network has more capacity
Other cars have decent charge speeds

Relatedly, Tesla now has a process for re-enabling SuperCharging on salvage vehicles (news report).

We don't know what they can charge. Currently they are selling at 2x the BEV volume in China with a 700k car backlog as of september(and lets say half of them are BEV). So could they charge more and sit at a lower backlog? How much more? No idea.

So, you are claiming BYD is running a charity because they could raise their prices substantially and still sell in the same volumes? Your original statement was that BYD could produce cars nearly as cheaply as Tesla and that implies the two cars you are comparing are equivalent in value (even though the BYD sells for considerably less). Does it threaten Audi sales if VW can make cars almost as cheaply as Audi? Of course not, VW should be able to make cars considerably cheaper than Audi because they can't sell a VW for Audi prices.

My commonsense deduction is that BYD are selling at the highest price that they have confidence they won't run out of buyers before the production run is sold out. Anything less would be a colossal failure to execute well.

Wait a minute.

You are arguing that changes to a bill that are added to accommodate foreign car manufacturers by phasing in the introduction of rules that favor (and were designed to favor) American manufacturers, would be viewed less favorably if such changes also favored American manufacturers?

That seems mostly non-sensical and highly unlikely to be the motivation of the story that Elon called false.
It makes good political sense, if you recognize that Tesla x China is a double negative in some Democratic Party quarters right now. The bill was introduced for consideration in this lame duck congress and would need 100% Democratic Party agreement in order to pass and be signed into law.

Make the All Tesla charges open to autos using this charging standard. Or at lower rate than non-compliant autos.
Can you imagine the chaos this would cause? Non Tesla's sitting there charging staring at the ceiling of their cars while Tesla owners are playing games on screen, hitting the fart button, watching Netflix, Disney plus, etc. Of course charging faster. It might have them think hmmm, why doesn't my ev do that?? They might even come over and ask for a look. We all know how bashful Tesla owners are at giving others a peek... absolute chaos! /s

One aspect of Bezos selling a $billion of stock every year is that he actually did pre-announce that he would be doing that.

I would be fine with Elon announcing that he will sell $x amount of stock every year to invest in things he feels are important.

Actually with the urgency he has with us being a multiplanetry species, amid other things, I'm surprised he hasn't already.

To me, the logic says that he will not be satisfied to just sit on his $100+billion in $TSLA

When the time comes to build a thousand Starships it is reasonable to assume that Elon will sell off large chunks of TSLA.

The reason people get weird with CEOs selling is because they worry that the CEO has lost confidence in the investment. Not the case with Elon although many are and will try to spin it that way.

Great visual! Let this sink in...

"It has no moving parts, is half the size, and twice as powerful as Combined Charging System (CCS) connectors."

View attachment 873599

Who will be first to eat humble pie? Maybe they'd rather stick to adapters and all the handshaking glitches. Will look good in the future for their brand. /s​
Soooo, no CCS compatible V4 superchargers in the pipeline? I thought there was some kind of US government funding for this. Hmmmm

• Helpful
Reactions: hobbes
A very US centric view. Europe‘s financial industry is a lot more modern. You can basically wire money from any EU bank account to any other EU bank account. In the worst case this takes a couple of days max, in the best case the payment arrives in real time.
In Belgium everybody stopped accepting checks as a form of payment 2 decades ago.
Electronic payment via chip cards is available everywhere. For situations where a bank terminal is too expensive (because of the rental price of the terminal) QR code payments are used more and more. There’s nothing to disrupt in the EU anymore. Elon can only create a me-too payment system like Paypal.
I was waiting for somebody from EU to chime in. From my experience in EU in 2019, US is 6+ years behind.

Soooo, no CCS compatible V4 superchargers in the pipeline? I thought there was some kind of US government funding for this. Hmmmm

I hope we will not see CCS at all. It is a monstrosity and Tesla plug will do.

Whenever I fake a large check to my bank, they clear it while I stand there. It can be and is done in the US. I just tell
Apparently the bar to get IRA funds is that the supercharger is compatible with more than one manufacturer’s vehicles. So, go Aptera, I guess? Or I wonder if a Chinese manufacturer will now jump on the Tesla bandwagon. I would…

Honestly, what took them so long: Opening the North American Charging Standard

Edit: This would have made more sense to do five years ago ... why now?
Totally agree. Maybe this will push some other car makers over the edge. If they could get just one other big manufacturer to pick up the standard, Tesla wouldn’t have to put CCS adaptors in order to get government funding for Superchargers

Thank you. Makes a lot of sense. I couldn’t really grasp the difference in the effect of float increase and dilution. Thanks again for making it clear.
Also, I also believe S & P only considers the "float" for the weight in their index. So Elon selling could help to increase the weight in the index. This is part of what they consider when they periodically rebalance as well as any newly issued stock. I'm not going to calculate as it's probably not meaningful but has a small impact. Rob Mauer was good at these calculations back in the S & P inclusion days 2 years ago.

Which they will have 6.08 different variants on each vehicle for a total of 420 options 🤔
Lol. I remember a toy airplane assembly kit I got as a kid. It offered 230 (or so) different aircraft. Well, turns out that was the total number of permutations/combinations of wings, vertical stabilizers, horizontal stabilizers, etc. Most of these resulted in ridiculous looking configurations.

Totally agree. Maybe this will push some other car makers over the edge. If they could get just one other big manufacturer to pick up the standard, Tesla wouldn’t have to put CCS adaptors in order to get government funding for Superchargers
I'm not sure if that is true. In addition to the Federal standards, each state adds their own standards on top. And a lot of states have specified that CCS connectors are required to get funding. Of course, now that NACS is open they could change their standards. (But NACS is only the connector not the communication side, which seems like only half of what is needed. Now Tesla could add the CCS protocol to the Superchargers to be used over the NACS connector, at which point would that qualify as CCS as far as the NEVI funding is concerned?)

Apparently the bar to get IRA funds is that the supercharger is compatible with more than one manufacturer’s vehicles. So, go Aptera, I guess? Or I wonder if a Chinese manufacturer will now jump on the Tesla bandwagon. I would…
Interesting. Whoever jumps first will see a significant jump in sales in my opinion. Access to the supercharger network is what keeps lots of Tesla owners buying teslas.