Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Large mining trucks are mostly electric and have been for decades. The "engine" is just to generate electricity that powers the motors. Only the very smallest have engine to transmission linkage. All they have done is replace the engine with batteries. This isn't really a big technical feat. (Perhaps getting the charger for the truck is.)
Maybe not a huge technical feat, but they eliminated a big polluting diesel engine. And my point was it would probably take a long time to charge, not their technological prowess. I for one applaud their effort and wish them well.

Then, there is this...

My imagination reels with the thought of just how they plan to economically store liquified hydrogen fuel on the aircraft to support this engine.

FSD can currently do the same routes that Cruise and Waymo are running. If autopilot works in the rain why would FSD not work? It seems that they are being extra careful. I have driven my car on some bad storms on AP. I have seen that same message before on FSD.

Because AP just needs the forward cameras to work-- which there's 3 of, and they sit behind a windshield, and have wipers to clear that windshield.

FSD needs the side and rear cameras for things like lane changes, visibility at intersections to cross traffic, etc.... and none of the side or rear cameras have duplicates or anything to clear them being obscured by water or dirt.

Likewise even NoA sometimes turns itself off in moderate rain for the same reasons FSDb can. But AP just keeps working-- because it needs a lot less input to work safely.

But reminder there's a whole forum where this stuff gets discussed in detail:

My recollection is that driving in northeast USA in winter is much like driving in northern Europe in winter.

So ....... is FSD only going to be available 90-days/year in 50% of the world ?

Then, there is this...

My imagination reels with the thought of just how they plan to economically store liquified hydrogen fuel on the aircraft to support this engine.
That amount of hydrogen will also make a nice boom / fire should it run into the ground or other immovable object.

Figure out a way to turn liquid hydrogen into something that is stabilized with something else - say ammonia (nh3) or methane (ch4) - that sounds like a practical and usable fuel, given that it is created via renewable electricity.

That's a caveat whether we're talking hydrogen, ammonia, methane, or some other of liquid energy.

That amount of hydrogen will also make a nice boom / fire should it run into the ground or other immovable object.

Figure out a way to turn liquid hydrogen into something that is stabilized with something else - say ammonia (nh3) or methane (ch4) - that sounds like a practical and usable fuel, given that it is created via renewable electricity.

That's a caveat whether we're talking hydrogen, ammonia, methane, or some other of liquid energy.

I'm sure we'll hear more about how this might affect the market from the analysts at Hindenburg Research...

Then, there is this...

Economically? How about safely? That first burst pressure vessel accident is going to be epic!

Tesla Partnership with Buc-ee's (26 New Locations) is a Buc-ees thread. Just a quick note on why you might care.

"They are building largest convenience store in the nation being over 74,000 square feet and hosting more than 120 fueling positions, EV Charging Stations."

This is sure to have Superchargers as it fills a hole in the supercharging network. I've been asking for superchargers at this area since the first supercharger was added to Knoxville years ago.

buccees-sevierville.jpg

I also have used only Costco for our tires; regardless, Tesla at least used to have as its business model not to have Service as a profit center. Now I'm not remembering if that officially has changed.
I’m not sure what the goal was. I think I remember the goal always being to break even on service to eliminate any perverse incentive to profit off of bad customer experiences and poor quality.

The result, however, is what counts and service & other profitability has been steadily improving for years. It remains to be seen just how high it will go, especially after used car resale prices calm down after the bump since 2020.

1669673386545.png

Berlin production per week still stuck at 3500’ish according to the Norway Vin tracker.

It has been mentioned that Berlin doesn’t need a third shift to get to the planned 5000 a week end of year but I have my doubts about that, the math of a third shift is just too compelling.

Just found this article from 11/25, they seem to have insider info that Tesla is in fact planning to add a third shift in December again after previously delaying it. They also say weekly production is around 3300 which fits the VIN analyis: Tesla moves up plans for Giga Berlin's third shift after crews set new single day production record

Maybe not a huge technical feat, but they eliminated a big polluting diesel engine. And my point was it would probably take a long time to charge, not their technological prowess. I for one applaud their effort and wish them well.
Yeah. I didn't say it was a bad thing, just that it wasn't a great leap of technology (My assumption was that most folks don't realize that large earthmovers are basically electric vehicles. The reason is that a transmission with gears would never stand the load without being so heavy that there would be no payload capacity.)

Correct, if the car was inop but FSD is not exactly like that. Very frustrating of course. I could go into my experience which was similar but this is not likely to change since there is no clear executive at Tesla who is responsible for service. Maybe at next quarterly call the top service exec will be present.

On another note, I have a spare set of side cameras (not pillor camera) from a 2018 model 3. Not sure if your issue is with a model 3.
I was thinking about it. It seems that manufacturing and service operate totally independently from each other. It is not only the cameras that are on backorder for months while they easily can be taken from the assembly line.

Take for instance tires. Why are they more expensive at Tesla than entities like Discount Tire? The excuse I heard was that Discount Tire buys them in bulk. Well, Tesla buys millions of the same tires each year! They have regular shipments of new cars going to Service Centres. Why not put a few tires or other parts taken from the assembly line, put them in the trunks of the new cars when they ship them? I think a lot of steps in savings can be made here.

Judy wondering who I can contact about this.

I was thinking about it. It seems that manufacturing and service operate totally independently from each other. It is not only the cameras that are on backorder for months while they easily can be taken from the assembly line.

Take for instance tires. Why are they more expensive at Tesla than entities like Discount Tire? The excuse I heard was that Discount Tire buys them in bulk. Well, Tesla buys millions of the same tires each year! They have regular shipments of new cars going to Service Centres. Why not put a few tires or other parts taken from the assembly line, put them in the trunks of the new cars when they ship them? I think a lot of steps in savings can be made here.

Judy wondering who I can contact about this.
Reputable shippers won’t touch a car with unsecured items inside them.

Take for instance tires. Why are they more expensive at Tesla than entities like Discount Tire?
The reason is that Tesla really doesn't want to be in the tire replacement business. It's a pain for them, so they price it high. It's what I would do if I were Elon. Let the tire shops handle it.

Your post is informing and a great segue into a larger discussion that absolutely quantifies the immense need for the Tesla VPP, and that discussion sheds a little more light on one more reason why states are slow to adopt VPP, and why one Whale investor in particular is slow to invest in Tesla. Casting a wider net your response could easily read:

".40/kWh is high. Here in California, our peak pricing is unnecessarily expensive at around .58/kWh"

California could/should have MUCH lower energy prices already, and was moving in that direction quickly under the previous administration. But PG&E protectionism and intentionally slowing mass adoption of solar & a distributed grid by the current CA administration combined with some unusually large outside influences IMO has prevented that. In a time frame that could greatly accelerate any current 'goals', CA alone could produce enough power with solar, wind, and storage to meet all of its needs and export surplus power to the Pacific Northwest on a grid that many of us Electrical Rate Payers paid to have upsized after the Enron crisis. The goal of upsizing after the Enron crash was to allow excess NW hydropower to be sent to CA at a time that Portland and Seattle areas had a much lower population (surplus hydroelectricity on the grid). And at the time, those planning on making more money from NW hydro never conceived that the day would come so quickly when the NW needed additional power after they had created a grid capable of carrying that power from CA and the Southwest. Oh, the irony...............that Grid managers didn't plan for the future...........and they didn't even stop to think that electricity can be sent either direction on the same grid. And yet here we are, at a time when CA and the Southwest could be ramping to meet their needs and to allow Oregon and Washington to reduce/eliminate the use of PacifiCorp Natural Gas power by importing solar and wind while more efficiently utilizing their hydroelectric capacity. The game is rigged heavily IMO. There is no reason that CA is paying $0.58/kWh when rural Idaho with the fewest customers per line-mile in America is paying $0.10 on the same connected grid, and parts of Central WA are paying half that amount/kWh.

Its important to remember that it was the current Gov of CA that recommended using Utah Natural Gas power be used to supplement the CA grid after the now-famous $0.019/kWh solar project was awarded outside LA.

And let's remember who has a big stake in Utah's power grid:

Buffett grabs Utah's power

And it was Gov Jay Inslee of WA that wrote an open letter to the San Francisco Chronical essentially telling CA not to disrupt the Western Grid by putting too much cheap solar on it because that would disrupt profitability for NW hydro generators (that's my interpretation having more than a little insight to Northwest Federal hydro generation costs and operations, and I found this particularly disturbing):

And when NW hydro and wind is insufficient to supply all of the NW's needs, back-up and peaker-power comes primarily from Natural Gas despite the NW being connected to the CA and Southwest grid which offers massive solar potential. And let's remember who has a big stake in Pacific Northwest Natural Gas generation:

And even if you weren't already aware from all the exposure @TheTalkingMule had posted in the past, you don't have to look to far to see who is not a fan of residents and small businesses being properly compensated for the solar energy they can put on the grid:

Which is of course amplified in Arizona, where the state could meet all of its energy shortcomings and much of its water supply shortcomings by simply putting solar panels over the Colorado River aqueduct to Phoenix - the Central Arizona project. I discussed that briefly in a previous post - Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

But of course that would more rapidly disrupt AZ's primary generation which is currently coal, and is produced at coal plants owned by you know who (WB) from coal produced by your know who (WB) and delivered in trains owned by you know who (WB).

"Berkshire Hathaway Energy is the largest U.S. power company without a net zero goal"

And of course let's not forget about the proposed hydrogen refueling system for CA and the Pacific NW that goes back to the previous CA administration, and has been a pet project of Mr. Gates for some time.

The original vision of the Green New Deal presented a path towards clean, green energy that would be even cheaper than Central WA energy costs across the entire US, all connected on the same grid with wide-spread distributed grid implementation - and it did so by laying out a TVA-type vision that included distributed grid production and storage by residential and commercial properties. And it gave those generators adequate compensation for their investments in that production. The new IRA will likely create a similar amount of power........maybe more? And it will do so with the same owners of today's grid owning the grid of tomorrow now. And they will do so without the need to adequately compensate small residential and commercial projects for their energy produced. And it will do so with loans for those projects being at the highest interest rates we have seen in a long time.

There is only one way come out on top as a small residential or commercial solar project owner that I am aware of...........and that is to participate in the Tesla VPP. IMO it will be the only way we see energy prices falling below those unnecessarily high levels that @Cosmacelf mentioned. The Tesla VPP will become adopted almost everywhere eventually. And those willing to purchase and install the latest Powerwalls with their projects will then benefit far beyond anyone installing an Enphase, or LG, or other battery system if they remain connected to the grid IMO. Protectionism isn't Red or Blue, and its everywhere. Elon and crew are doing more than just making great products and making the planet more sustainable. They are challenging the current Paradigm at the highest levels. And Tesla must win if we are all to win.
Brilliant comment. Unfortunately, you really have fully justified why CA will put a target on Tesla VPP. California has been keen on protectionism for the PUC and utilities run by donors for decades....it has resulted in a laughable arrangement where rate payers are financially pillaged ($0.58/kWh, please). It will be a miracle if Tesla can keep their VPP from being unfairly taxed like everything in the Golden state. Fingers always crossed though!