Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The excuse is that cameras are on backorder.

I don't understand. There are thousands of new cars made every day with the cameras in place. There should be plenty of cameras available within the Tesla Organization. How hard is it to pull some cameras off the assembly line and send it to the service centres for the cars of owners who supported Tesla when Tesla needed the most.
You are assuming that they put the same cameras on current cars as your car needs as a retrofit, and that likely isn't true. For one thing the old Model S cameras were chrome instead of black. And the current Model S cameras are a different size/shape because of the body changes. (For both these points I'm talking about the repeater cameras, I don't know about the other cameras and what might have changed.)

• Informative
Reactions: Skipdd
Somewhere in the recesses of my memory I remember someone super rich getting one at their house or business back in the Supercharger v1 days. Like 2015 I want to say. But I can't remember who it was.

Believe that there was one either in Dubai or Saudi Arabia, that was for an individual owner, exclusively, and placed in their garage.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Yeah. I didn't say it was a bad thing, just that it wasn't a great leap of technology (My assumption was that most folks don't realize that large earthmovers are basically electric vehicles. The reason is that a transmission with gears would never stand the load without being so heavy that there would be no payload capacity.)
Yep. Would be a interesting to know how big the diesel is that the batteries are replacing and how big the batteries are along with who made them and what type/kind they are... and how long it takes to charge a behemoth like that! Couldn't find any of that on the Caterpillar site either...

Electrek Fred is reporting there is no Annex company... haven't researched it enough to know, but worth investigating.

I was thinking that Tesla in a J/V with anyone in China would be running afoul of recent restrictions for technology export placed in China. This would be a gigantic target on Tesla's back.

I was thinking about it. It seems that manufacturing and service operate totally independently from each other. It is not only the cameras that are on backorder for months while they easily can be taken from the assembly line.

Take for instance tires. Why are they more expensive at Tesla than entities like Discount Tire? The excuse I heard was that Discount Tire buys them in bulk. Well, Tesla buys millions of the same tires each year! They have regular shipments of new cars going to Service Centres. Why not put a few tires or other parts taken from the assembly line, put them in the trunks of the new cars when they ship them? I think a lot of steps in savings can be made here.

Judy wondering who I can contact about this.
While Tesla could certainly flex their buying power to get an affordable set of radials at all the local service centers...would that traffic improve the overall service experience? Probably not, the technicians would be inundated with tires IMO. Once service centers are more common and bored, maybe that would make sense? I'm just scratching my head as to why my Tesla tires have become the overwhelmingly highest priced tire at Costco? 18" MXM OEM Michelins are $307 per tire...No, that's not CAD....WTH!
3B3F30AF-8A59-438A-AF57-059B5CECFCF4.jpeg

Then, there is this...

My imagination reels with the thought of just how they plan to economically store liquified hydrogen fuel on the aircraft to support this engine.

Hydrogen for use as a jet fuel was solved over 50 yrs ago by Forrest Guppy Aero Spacelines:

2015jan-DE-SuperGuppyDelivery_620.jpg

/s

While Tesla could certainly flex their buying power to get an affordable set of radials at all the local service centers...would that traffic improve the overall service experience? Probably not, the technicians would be inundated with tires IMO. Once service centers are more common and bored, maybe that would make sense? I'm just scratching my head as to why my Tesla tires have become the overwhelmingly highest priced tire at Costco? 18" MXM OEM Michelins are $307 per tire...No, that's not CAD....WTH!View attachment 879229

Tesla Tax.

That amount of hydrogen will also make a nice boom / fire should it run into the ground or other immovable object.

Figure out a way to turn liquid hydrogen into something that is stabilized with something else - say ammonia (nh3) or methane (ch4) - that sounds like a practical and usable fuel, given that it is created via renewable electricity.

That's a caveat whether we're talking hydrogen, ammonia, methane, or some other of liquid energy.

The recent ground test of a hydrogen jet engine was done using much more expensive green hydrogen because they didn't need much of it and they wanted to make a point that it was "green". This is just to get their foot in the door so they can use fossil fuel derived hydrogen when push comes to a shove.

The technical problem of making green hydrogen safe to store is a small part of the problem compared to the economic barriers. When planes crash, the survival rate is already very low, the solution is to crash less. But how many people would still fly if a typical ticket on a plane using green hydrogen cost 10 times as much?

If using hydrogen in its pure liquid state, generating the hydrogen is just part of the equation, it still needs to be chilled to -423 F to liquify it and stored in insulated tanks to keep it from boiling. They need to be actively cooled for longer term storage because, as it boils, it must be allowed to escape to the atmosphere. Using hydrogen in its gaseous state requires extremely high pressures to store it, even then the volumetric energy density is very poor.

Using hydrogen attached to other compounds greatly reduces the gravimetric energy density of the fuel from while simultaneously increasing the cost beyond its already impractically high price.

The solution to green flying is the same as for green cars, it just needs to wait for a battery with a higher energy density, likely a solid-state battery. Because a practical battery will almost certainly precede that of cost-effective green hydrogen flight. In the interim, I would suggest a carbon tax on long-distance flights that would reduce the current situation created by cheap fossil fuel technology in which anyone with a middle-class or better income is able to fly around the globe on a whim on a regular basis. Perhaps the proceeds of the carbon tax could be invested in a combination of hydrogen research (in case we are over-looking a solution that is economically feasible) and solid-state battery development.

Mod: We have plenty of non-native English ('Mercan, Strine) speakers on this forum and encourage even more. So as a matter of policy we don't try to correct or comment on spelling, grammar or writing style. And even if we did, it's off topic for this thread. Two posts (at least, I haven't caught up) deleted. --ggr

Haven't seen this posted yet. Looks like an official tesla announcement of formal Thailand launch in December 2022. @CaliBear1 any local info?

You scooped me! Hosting friends and family for a traditional Thanksgiving feast here in Phuket has thrown me off my game.😎

Things tend to move slowly here. My understanding is that the Tesla flagship Bangkok store will be in a mall under construction called “Emsphere.” However, that mega-mall is not scheduled to open until the end of 2023. Tesla is thought to be one of its retail anchors.

And I can say with a high degree of confidence that there are currently no Tesla service centers or Supercharger stations in Thailand. There is a gray market for Teslas for which the importers charge silly prices. I won’t pay silly money for a Tesla until there’s at least a service center in BKK. Otherwise you have to ship the vehicle to HK or Singapore for repairs if there is a major mechanical or electric failure or collision damage.

The financials track with this. While "service" is technically profitable in their reports, it's a bit muddled because I believe CPO sales are included in that. @The Accountant could probably clarify that.
As you commented, it's difficult to parse out the different components of Services revenues and profit . . but I do think that the service center operates on a slight loss or tiny profit with recent profits in the Services category coming mainly from the sale of used cars.

Yep. Would be a interesting to know how big the diesel is that the batteries are replacing and how big the batteries are along with who made them and what type/kind they are... and how long it takes to charge a behemoth like that! Couldn't find any of that on the Caterpillar site either...
The largest require 23,000 hp. Two 16 cylinder engines per earthmover. Batteries might actually weigh less. Of course, most are smaller.

• Informative
Reactions: wipster
If using hydrogen in its pure liquid state, generating the hydrogen is just part of the equation, it still needs to be chilled to -423 F to liquify it and stored in insulated tanks to keep it from boiling.

Ammonia is more suitable:- Ammonia - Wikipedia

NH3 boils at −33.34 °C (−28.012 °F) at a pressure of one atmosphere, so the liquid must be stored under pressure or at low temperature.

Most things that you can do with Hydrogen, you can also do with Ammonia.

However, battery electric is definitely the best option for short haul flights, and as energy density improves what battery powered planes become increasingly capable.

What improved battery energy densities can ado for land based transport is also very significant.

As 3 metrics can be improved:-
  1. Energy Density
  2. Longevity
  3. Lower Cost.
The form of transport where Ammonia might win in the end is cargo ships.

Is this different from, or a repost of, the fake tesla semiconductor story Fred debunked earlier today?

That was just this the beta fake semiconductor story, this a release 11.69.69. You'll find more fake details, fake excitement, and generally a very professional veneer of fraud.

Reactions: wipster