Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The financials track with this. While "service" is technically profitable in their reports, it's a bit muddled because I believe CPO sales are included in that. @The Accountant could probably clarify that.
Indeed
From 10Q:

Services and other revenue consists of non-warranty after-sales vehicle services, paid supercharging, sales of used vehicles, retail merchandise, sales by our acquired subsidiaries to third party customers and vehicle insurance revenue.

I rarely share stuff like this about other EVs because sharing any sort of EV FUD can be a bit hypocritical but I think this underscores the advantage Tesla has with vertical integration of charging network and vehicle. Speculation that the charger provided more juice than requested and this isn't an isolated incident.
View attachment 879106

EA seems to be on a roll. On the Rivian forums I found out that if a Rivian runs into three charging faults with a fast charger, it'll go into a hibernation mode to protect the electronics. You have to wait for the vehicle to go through a sleep cycle before it'll auto-reset (about 30 minutes, walk away) before you can try fast charging again. And EA is the fast charger that has done this to Rivian owners...

Edit: Does anyone know how power is requested and delivered in fast charging? I know in AC charging, the supply EVSE tells the vehicle the max. amperage it can deliver and the vehicle then just draws what it needs up to that maximum.

Is it the same when fast charging? Does the vehicle draw what it wants at the time, or can the fast charger overwhelm the vehicle and deliver a higher current (and even voltage) to the vehicle? The reason I ask is that the Rivian forums have also had stories of people fast charging at EA sites and the Rivian sometimes goes into an overheat mode where it needs to cool down before being able to be driven after a 220 kW fast charge session or whatever.

Last edited:
I am going with under 20. Tesla is a long way from ramping semi production.
Rather premature to assume we know what Tesla has inside of the Nevada Semi building in regard to production lines. No has seen inside and there's been zero insights into production. For all we know, there's a production line set up and operational to crank out 100 Semi's a month. That would only be 1200 Semi's annually which seems perfectly in the realm of possibility. Obviously for Tesla to achieve the 50k/annual run rate by 2024, a much bigger production line would need to be set up.

And if you think the Semi will take a while to charge, look at this (and good on Caterpillar BTW):
Large mining trucks are mostly electric and have been for decades. The "engine" is just to generate electricity that powers the motors. Only the very smallest have engine to transmission linkage. All they have done is replace the engine with batteries. This isn't really a big technical feat. (Perhaps getting the charger for the truck is.)

I also have used only Costco for our tires; regardless, Tesla at least used to have as its business model not to have Service as a profit center. Now I'm not remembering if that officially has changed.
Sometimes you charge more for work you really dont want to do. If someone takes you up on it then you do the work.

Is it the same when fast charging? Does the vehicle draw what it wants at the time, or can the fast charger overwhelm the vehicle and deliver a higher current (and even voltage) to the vehicle? The reason I ask is that the Rivian forums have also had stories of people fast charging at EA sites and the Rivian sometimes goes into an overheat mode where it needs to cool down before being able to be driven after a 220 kW fast charge session or whatever.
It's conceptually the same for fast charging. There is a negotiation and the charger should never try to deliver more than the car will accept. At least that's how it is supposed to work....

Reactions: Drumheller and JimS
I was always impressed with Tesla service, this despite the numerous horror stories I read here on line. I am now starting to be a victim of bad service as well.

I have been waiting for the new cameras to be installed for FSD to work since August. (basically since I bought the car when they even said that all hardware was in place for FSD) It was always rescheduled. Now my appointment was for tomorrow. Over the weekend I had a confirmation email so everything was set to go. Just now a got a notification that it was resheduled again to December 29!

The excuse is that cameras are on backorder.

I don't understand. There are thousands of new cars made every day with the cameras in place. There should be plenty of cameras available within the Tesla Organization. How hard is it to pull some cameras off the assembly line and send it to the service centres for the cars of owners who supported Tesla when Tesla needed the most.

I asked for clarification but I am still waiting.

EA seems to be on a roll. On the Rivian forums I found out that if a Rivian runs into three charging faults with a fast charger, it'll go into a hibernation mode to protect the electronics. You have to wait for the vehicle to go through a sleep cycle before it'll auto-reset (about 30 minutes, walk away) before you can try fast charging again. And EA is the fast charger that has done this to Rivian owners...

Edit: Does anyone know how power is requested and delivered in fast charging? I know in AC charging, the supply EVSE tells the vehicle the max. amperage it can deliver and the vehicle then just draws what it needs up to that maximum.

For Teslas and superchargers, the same pilot signal pin that an A/C EVSE communicates current capability to the car via duty cycle is used for digital comms. The charger uses a duty cycle that falls below the J1772 standard to request digital comms, and the car responds with a digital handshake, and establishes a link. At that point the car commands the supercharger to deliver specific voltage/current.

All DC fast chargers are similar in principle. The PHY layer and protocol are different, but accomplish the same thing.

How hard is it to pull some cameras off the assembly line and send it to the service centres for the cars of owners who supported Tesla when Tesla needed the most.

Correct, if the car was inop but FSD is not exactly like that. Very frustrating of course. I could go into my experience which was similar but this is not likely to change since there is no clear executive at Tesla who is responsible for service. Maybe at next quarterly call the top service exec will be present.

On another note, I have a spare set of side cameras (not pillor camera) from a 2018 model 3. Not sure if your issue is with a model 3.

Reactions: petit_bateau
Really, friend, did you *have* to go and post that??? :)

Gains erased. :(
Man.......really just be happy TSLA isn't being pummeled today.

Hell we should all be celebrating that the stock didn't give way to weakness in the second half of trading today. Most of the time the stock starts off outperforming only to get weaker throughout the day and then either be down as much as it's beta says it should or worse 🥴

Hell we should all be celebrating that the stock didn't give way to weakness in the second half of trading today. Most of the time the stock starts off outperforming only to get weaker throughout the day and then either be down as much as it's beta says it should or worse 🥴
Considering all the China hysteria and Elon drama, I'm happy enough.

Fair enough, everything else looks ugly.

Not 4 days after Thanksgiving, and I'm already forgetting to be grateful. Put me in the penalty box! :)

Your post is informing and a great segue into a larger discussion that absolutely quantifies the immense need for the Tesla VPP, and that discussion sheds a little more light on one more reason why states are slow to adopt VPP, and why one Whale investor in particular is slow to invest in Tesla. Casting a wider net your response could easily read:

".40/kWh is high. Here in California, our peak pricing is unnecessarily expensive at around .58/kWh"

California could/should have MUCH lower energy prices already, and was moving in that direction quickly under the previous administration. But PG&E protectionism and intentionally slowing mass adoption of solar & a distributed grid by the current CA administration combined with some unusually large outside influences IMO has prevented that. In a time frame that could greatly accelerate any current 'goals', CA alone could produce enough power with solar, wind, and storage to meet all of its needs and export surplus power to the Pacific Northwest on a grid that many of us Electrical Rate Payers paid to have upsized after the Enron crisis. The goal of upsizing after the Enron crash was to allow excess NW hydropower to be sent to CA at a time that Portland and Seattle areas had a much lower population (surplus hydroelectricity on the grid). And at the time, those planning on making more money from NW hydro never conceived that the day would come so quickly when the NW needed additional power after they had created a grid capable of carrying that power from CA and the Southwest. Oh, the irony...............that Grid managers didn't plan for the future...........and they didn't even stop to think that electricity can be sent either direction on the same grid. And yet here we are, at a time when CA and the Southwest could be ramping to meet their needs and to allow Oregon and Washington to reduce/eliminate the use of PacifiCorp Natural Gas power by importing solar and wind while more efficiently utilizing their hydroelectric capacity. The game is rigged heavily IMO. There is no reason that CA is paying $0.58/kWh when rural Idaho with the fewest customers per line-mile in America is paying $0.10 on the same connected grid, and parts of Central WA are paying half that amount/kWh.

Its important to remember that it was the current Gov of CA that recommended using Utah Natural Gas power be used to supplement the CA grid after the now-famous $0.019/kWh solar project was awarded outside LA.

And let's remember who has a big stake in Utah's power grid:

Buffett grabs Utah's power

And it was Gov Jay Inslee of WA that wrote an open letter to the San Francisco Chronical essentially telling CA not to disrupt the Western Grid by putting too much cheap solar on it because that would disrupt profitability for NW hydro generators (that's my interpretation having more than a little insight to Northwest Federal hydro generation costs and operations, and I found this particularly disturbing):

And when NW hydro and wind is insufficient to supply all of the NW's needs, back-up and peaker-power comes primarily from Natural Gas despite the NW being connected to the CA and Southwest grid which offers massive solar potential. And let's remember who has a big stake in Pacific Northwest Natural Gas generation:

And even if you weren't already aware from all the exposure @TheTalkingMule had posted in the past, you don't have to look to far to see who is not a fan of residents and small businesses being properly compensated for the solar energy they can put on the grid:

Which is of course amplified in Arizona, where the state could meet all of its energy shortcomings and much of its water supply shortcomings by simply putting solar panels over the Colorado River aqueduct to Phoenix - the Central Arizona project. I discussed that briefly in a previous post - Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

But of course that would more rapidly disrupt AZ's primary generation which is currently coal, and is produced at coal plants owned by you know who (WB) from coal produced by your know who (WB) and delivered in trains owned by you know who (WB).

"Berkshire Hathaway Energy is the largest U.S. power company without a net zero goal"

And of course let's not forget about the proposed hydrogen refueling system for CA and the Pacific NW that goes back to the previous CA administration, and has been a pet project of Mr. Gates for some time.

The original vision of the Green New Deal presented a path towards clean, green energy that would be even cheaper than Central WA energy costs across the entire US, all connected on the same grid with wide-spread distributed grid implementation - and it did so by laying out a TVA-type vision that included distributed grid production and storage by residential and commercial properties. And it gave those generators adequate compensation for their investments in that production. The new IRA will likely create a similar amount of power........maybe more? And it will do so with the same owners of today's grid owning the grid of tomorrow now. And they will do so without the need to adequately compensate small residential and commercial projects for their energy produced. And it will do so with loans for those projects being at the highest interest rates we have seen in a long time.

There is only one way come out on top as a small residential or commercial solar project owner that I am aware of...........and that is to participate in the Tesla VPP. IMO it will be the only way we see energy prices falling below those unnecessarily high levels that @Cosmacelf mentioned. The Tesla VPP will become adopted almost everywhere eventually. And those willing to purchase and install the latest Powerwalls with their projects will then benefit far beyond anyone installing an Enphase, or LG, or other battery system if they remain connected to the grid IMO. Protectionism isn't Red or Blue, and its everywhere. Elon and crew are doing more than just making great products and making the planet more sustainable. They are challenging the current Paradigm at the highest levels. And Tesla must win if we are all to win.

Nominated for post of particular merit