Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you seen which direction the size of the average American has gone in the last 20 years? I don't see XXXL people finding XS cars popular. Granted, that may be less of an issue internationally. But the 3 and Y are hardly large cars to start with, at least by American standards.

Perhaps this is but another supporting argument for a cargo van as a portion of the US Robotaxi fleet? 🤔

Last edited:
Sounds like there's more room for price cuts or an adjustment to the extended range option price, with the caveat that the tax credits are likely changing after March along with all the other annual changes coming up and whatever other tweaks occur.

This is capitalism at work, competition breeds competition and we shouldn't expect any of these companies to sit still. Consumers benefit in the end.

It's not a matter of other companies sitting still, no one believes that. When a bear takes after two people, neither of them sits still, but the slower one still loses. Anyone who expects Ford or GM to move quickly enough to keep up to Tesla is probably living in an alternate reality. Tesla is widening the gap and this will become even more obvious with the release of the Cybertruck in just a few months, a new platform to showcase Tesla's latest technologies and price efficiencies.

It sounds like you think Mach-e price cuts can make them competitive with Tesla and save Ford. However, the more Ford cuts prices, the less incentive they have to make a lot of them. They are cutting prices because they know that not cutting prices ends up looking even worse. No matter how much people talk up the desirability of Ford's and GM's EV's, and tell us they are really nice cars, the fact remains that compared to the most comparable Tesla models, these cars are simply not nearly as competitive as the Ford and GM boosters claim. They end up just looking archaic, considering they are supposed to be the pinnacle of EV technology.

People who avoided Tesla and paid just as much for the Mach-e, are coming to realize the Mach-e is simply not all it was cracked up to be. Even though many buyers are still actively defending them, you can tell their defense is sounding more hollow. The Mach-e's biggest advantage for many is that it's not a Tesla. And I totally get that as evidenced by my inability to ever buy a BMW, as much as I like good driving cars and was not afraid to pay the premium price of their less exotic offerings, I simply couldn't buy into what I perceived as "BMW snobbishness". I think this is a similar dynamic at play with people who want any EV but a Tesla.

Thankfully, that anti-Tesla dynamic will weaken slightly with the recent large drops in price and will weaken even further with the impending announcement of a less expensive model. It will never go away entirely which is not a problem because it's a relatively small segment of the overall new car market anyway.

Claimed Model S "spontaneous battery fire" but the damage looks to be mostly in the front

Fake news...

1675097375232.png

30,000 gallons or more or its fake :)

No matter what, we are all dumb for buying Tsla and driving Tesla's because it is a fact that ICE cars are less expensive to operate, maintain, less warranty repairs, less brake jobs, better for the environment, etc....I read some posts today that contained definitive proof. The media would never tell a lie.

/s
Such Idiocracy.

/s

Do you guys think opening up the Supercharger network will be a net positive or negative for Tesla? The network is Tesla's biggest advantage, but opening up the network will enable another potential source of revenue, and if Tesla structures the prices right, they may incent even more people to buy their cars since the cost saving will be more obvious.

Upon first assumption, we would think it is our good friend Russ M. However, he is probably sick and tired of Tesla twitter coming @ him so...

View attachment 901324

"But look under the hood and you’ll see the stubborn, underlying reality: The majority of new electric vehicles sold were higher-end models that remain unaffordable to most Californians. More than 70% of fully electric vehicles sold in California last year were Teslas, as has been the case each year since 2018.

The fact that California’s electric vehicle market remains dominated by Teslas and other vehicles dealers classify as luxury and near-luxury is evidence of a socioeconomic divide that remains a barrier to California’s push to replace polluting, fossil-fueled vehicles with electric models powered by clean, renewable energy."

"The 2022 sales figures indicate the most popular electric models remain significantly more expensive than the bestselling gas-powered ones. Tesla’s Model 3 and Model Y are California’s top two bestselling EVs. Even with recent price cuts, you can expect to pay at least $45,000 for a Model 3, while the Model Y goes for about $54,000 and up.

Compare that to the Toyota Camry, one of California’s top-selling gas-powered cars, with a price tag starting at around $27,000. That’s in line with nationwide figures showing electric vehicles sell, on average, for about $17,000 more than gas-powered ones."

The 'editorial board' clearly haven't read Master Plan parts 1 & 2.

Master Plan part trois is due to be published and they will probably ignore that too...

It will soon be time to release the Kraken!! :D (for 'Kraken' read 'compact car'....gen 3 platform with half the production cost and huge volume!)

Do you guys think opening up the Supercharger network will be a net positive or negative for Tesla? The network is Tesla's biggest advantage, but opening up the network will enable another potential source of revenue, and if Tesla structures the prices right, they may incent even more people to buy their cars since the cost saving will be more obvious.

It will be a net positive. Tesla will charge non-Tesla cars more than they do Teslas. It will generate revenue, and EV buyers of other brands will get to sit there and talk with Tesla owners and compare notes (about what their car doesn't do, that a Tesla does).

It's not a matter of other companies sitting still, no one believes that. When a bear takes after two people, neither of them sits still, but the slower one still loses. Anyone who expects Ford or GM to move quickly enough to keep up to Tesla is probably living in an alternate reality. Tesla is widening the gap and this will become even more obvious with the release of the Cybertruck in just a few months, a new platform to showcase Tesla's latest technologies and price efficiencies.

It sounds like you think Mach-e price cuts can make them competitive with Tesla and save Ford. However, the more Ford cuts prices, the less incentive they have to make a lot of them. They are cutting prices because they know that not cutting prices ends up looking even worse. No matter how much people talk up the desirability of Ford's and GM's EV's, and tell us they are really nice cars, the fact remains that compared to the most comparable Tesla models, these cars are simply not nearly as competitive as the Ford and GM boosters claim. They end up just looking archaic, considering they are supposed to be the pinnacle of EV technology.

People who avoided Tesla and paid just as much for the Mach-e, are coming to realize the Mach-e is simply not all it was cracked up to be. Even though many buyers are still actively defending them, you can tell their defense is sounding more hollow. The Mach-e's biggest advantage for many is that it's not a Tesla. And I totally get that as evidenced by my inability to ever buy a BMW, as much as I like good driving cars and was not afraid to pay the premium price of their less exotic offerings, I simply couldn't buy into what I perceived as "BMW snobbishness". I think this is a similar dynamic at play with people who want any EV but a Tesla.

Thankfully, that anti-Tesla dynamic will weaken slightly with the recent large drops in price and will weaken even further with the impending announcement of a less expensive model. It will never go away entirely which is not a problem because it's a relatively small segment of the overall new car market anyway.
I don't actually follow Ford, GM, or any other car company's stock. I'm trying to figure out what will happen with Tesla because Tesla is what I want to buy, but I want a measured and *real* view of what might be coming whether it's good or bad.

These companies will probably eat a loss to move vehicles if they need to, some of them might cut further to put more pressure on Tesla. Tit for tat, back and forth, consumers are the benefactors. My concern is solely what it might mean for Tesla.

Reactions: UrsS and Nocturnal
It will be a net positive. Tesla will charge non-Tesla cars more than they do Teslas. It will generate revenue, and EV buyers of other brands will get to sit there and talk with Tesla owners and compare notes (about what their car doesn't do, that a Tesla does).

The charging experience is also less convenient for non-Tesla EVs as they need to use the app and select the stall they want to charge at to initiate the charge. Whereas Teslas just rock up and the car communicates everything it needs to automatically.

And fund more stations.

I doubt an existing EV owner would look to buy another EV any time soon, but one big advantage of opening up the network is basically driving all other charging networks out of business and thus cutting non-Tesla EVs off non-Tesla charging options.

I don't actually follow Ford, GM, or any other car company's stock. I'm trying to figure out what will happen with Tesla because Tesla is what I want to buy, but I want a measured and *real* view of what might be coming whether it's good or bad.

These companies will probably eat a loss to move vehicles if they need to, some of them might cut further to put more pressure on Tesla. Tit for tat, back and forth, consumers are the benefactors. My concern is solely what it might mean for Tesla.
It won't mean much because legacy auto will only be able to cut price so much, and as time goes on they won't have the funds to support a negative gross margin car. This will reduce legacy's ability to do any R&D for BEVs as well. It can only be a positive for Tesla. Didn't you look at Tesla's gross margins as compared to legacy auto?

Claimed Model S "spontaneous battery fire" but the damage looks to be mostly in the front

The packs in the S do vent through the side box-section frame rails and vent away from the passenger cabin & doors to the front, so it it plausible. I've seen pics of a few S battery fires where flames were exiting from the rear of the front wheel wells.