Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait... I swear this just arrived on my inbox. Is Waymo seeking help from the public to analyze their own data and solve FSD? WOT!
I did not click on any links, I'm not sure if it's real as it's so absurd. 10,000 Google Cloud credits if I win. o_O

To: Me personally!

We’re excited to announce the launch of our 4th annual Waymo Open Dataset Challenges and the latest expansion of the dataset with new sensor data and labels.

Our 2023 Waymo Open Dataset Challenges include:
  • 2D Video Panoptic Segmentation Challenge: Given a panoramic video of camera images, produce a set of panoptic segmentation labels for each pixel in each image, where each object in the scene is tracked across cameras and over time.
  • Pose Estimation Challenge: Given one or more lidar range images and the associated camera images, predict 3D key points for pedestrians and cyclists in the scene.
  • Motion Prediction Challenge: Predict the future positions of multiple agents in the scene given 1 second of past history. We have made lidar sensor data available as a model input.
  • Sim Agents Challenge: Produce sim agent models that control agents in the scene, which will be evaluated against the goal of being human-like. This is the first competition on simulated agents, a fundamental but relatively underexplored topic in autonomous driving, now available to the research community.
First-place winners in each of the four Challenges will receive $10,000 in Google Cloud credits. Additionally, teams with the best performing or noteworthy submissions may be invited to present their work at the Workshop on Autonomous Driving at CVPR in June 2023. The 2023 Waymo Open Dataset Challenges close at 11:59 PM Pacific on May 23, 2023, but the leaderboards will remain open for future submissions. You can find all the details in the Official Waymo Open Dataset Challenge Rules.

In addition to the 2023 Challenges, we are releasing newer versions of the Perception and Motion datasets, as well as introducing a new dataset structure, the Modular dataset. You read more about the dataset updates here and download it here.

The technical achievements in the autonomous driving space would not be possible without the underlying innovative research that helps drive progress forward. Thank you to all of the Waymo Open Dataset users for your invaluable contributions to fields like computer vision, behavior prediction, and machine learning – the AV industry would not be where it is today without your support.

Good luck and we can’t wait to see what you accomplish! As always, please don’t hesitate to reach out to [email protected] with questions or comments.

Sincerely,
The Waymo Open Dataset Team
If you win you get a job offer, which is the real point of all this.

Reactions: SOULPEDL
TL;DW? Does it confirm that a brokers assets are separate from their customers assets and not part of the liquidation mass, and so unless there was massive fraud FTX style going on, your shares will just be sent to another broker or to your home as certificates, and the $500k insurance only is needed in the extreme fraud cases... so with potentially the exception of robin hood, I think you will be fine ?
Basically, it seems so,yes. Which is a relief. Both shares and cash at your broker are safe, but shares more so.

So???? What ye make of this....
FrsJy1kXgAcGU7g

Here’s what I make of it:

I thought there would be more of a reaction to the Moody's news in after hour trading than being down 14 cents.

Nah, the stock will be affected as funds who couldn't buy TSLA will now accumulate it over the next month or so. It will likely be a slow and gradual impact, but one that should be noticeable over time in the near future.

I think. Hopefully. Who really knows? It's still very good news either way. 🤔

Moodys upgrade and a decently written, fair yahoo article on FSD in the same day...
We are in the Matrix

Tesla has started rolling out a huge update to its FSD (Full Self-Driving) software, one that addresses the big recall NHTSA issued for its autonomous driving ...

TL;DW? Does it confirm that a brokers assets are separate from their customers assets and not part of the liquidation mass, and so unless there was massive fraud FTX style going on, your shares will just be sent to another broker or to your home as certificates, and the $500k insurance only is needed in the extreme fraud cases... so with potentially the exception of robin hood, I think you will be fine ?

Is also true of SVB, and all banks, which why so many of the headlines regarding SVB are wrong. Companies don't park $50m in a cash savings account when there are plenty of 3-4% options with overnight liquidity available from JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, etc. in which actual shares are bought with the excess funds.

Even the balance of margin accounts - in excess of the actual margin - are separated if they are in shares of something and not just cash.

That is the start of the wide release. Tesla always does is this way to catch any unforeseen.
No. This has the potential to turn into a wide release, but it isn't one yet. At this point they will either find no serious problems and proceed to a wide release; or they will find some thing(s) they have to fix and put out 11.3.3 (hence no wide release yet, but maybe soon); or they will find serious problems and back off the whole thing.

You'll know that 11.3.2 is a wide release when you see >1000 newly pending installations on TeslaFi, probably >2000. Right now it's just a tentative push out to 10% of the possible audience, and 1/3 of them haven't installed it yet, and there's been no further action for the past 21 hours. By tomorrow morning (maybe sooner) we'll know which way this is going.

Remember, they've been delaying this for months (remember Elon saying wide release before Thanksgiving, after its "release" on 11/11/2022?). They won't release it now with serious problems.

Cash only up to $250k

Cash SIPC limit is 250k.... but it can get a little weird in that many brokers have sweep accounts available-- where they essentially transfer your brokerage cash to NON broker "regular bank" accounts (typically money markets) that ARE FDIC insured... even more fun some will offer a way to spread the sweep across multiple banks.... Ameriprise for example does it across up to 10 banks, meaning you have 2.5 million in FDIC insurance on your swept balance (5 million on joint accounts).

But the main point was that unless the broker is doing a bunch of fraud, these insurance limits aren't especially important because they're not allowed to mingle customer cash with operating cash in any way.

Unlike a bank account, they're not lending your deposits to the next guy to buy a house or whatnot, and thus they can't be in a position to not have your cash available should you ask to withdraw it.

The amount of money waiting to buy on a moody’s announcement is much much smaller than the amount of money that was waiting for the S&P500 inclusion. I don’t believe there is much in the way of “front running” profits to be had here.

A little bit of extra buying pressure over the next couple of weeks perhaps, but no one should be expecting any large run up based on the moody s upgrade.
Even after years of this discussion - none of the esteemed, resourceful people on this board have provided a single reference to a fund, investor, charity, trust, public investment committee, school PTA or even a financial blogger on YouTube that states they will only make an equity investment in companies that have their debt rated investment grade by two or more CRAs - despite many, many, thousands of said groups publishing their investment criteria on their websites in plain english.

This is the same group that investigated the metallurgy of gigacastings, the benefits and drawbacks of different magnetic field configurations of various electric motors, the raw material export policies of foreign nations that don't publish in English, and arcane tax documentation covering hundreds of thousands of pages.

The investment criteria people are assuming above does not exist - at best there could be a correlation because the factors that cause CRAs to rate company debt investment grade are similar to the criteria that conservative investors are interested in.

It would take a few minutes of googling to prove me wrong with a relevant document from a fund - but I doubt anyone will find an example.