Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mod: I wasn't even aware that tags existed. I can only edit them on threads here. I will report to other moderators. I have deleted them on the three threads I can control. --ggr
My advice is to turn off the ability to add tags, except for the original poster in that specific thread. If that's not possible, turn the feature off except for mods.

PSA, if folks don't know, this is a wonderful daily watch (now that Rob has gone away), it has named chapters so you don't have to watch the whole thing.

Why?

Everyday, there's something that I learn...

For instance, today, check out the BYD part.

Spoiler: BYD outspent Tesla by $10B on capital exp.

0:00 BYD's Stunning $19 Billion CapEx1:06 Fisker Slashes Prices Up to $24K2:03 Nissan Aims for 40% EVs in the EU2:45 Baltimore Bridge Collapse Impacts Autos Most4:22 Hyundai/Kia's Big Splash in the Big Apple6:08 XPeng Enters the German Market7:28 Metallica Goes Electric7:57 Ford Remote Service Booming

Anyone have guesses how much the total and new vhicle take-rate for FSD grows to at quarter end? I believe its last reported at 19%.

Im guessing they're going to report take-rate of all newly sold vehicles as significantly higher than 19%. What that number is though... 🙏🤷‍♂️

Did I miss a new color option? 10 seconds in on the video? ( It's "kinda the weekend" ;) )
1711675269657.png

Anyone have guesses how much the total and new vhicle take-rate for FSD grows to at quarter end? I believe its last reported at 19%.

Im guessing they're going to report take-rate of all newly sold vehicles as significantly higher than 19%. What that number is though... 🙏🤷‍♂️

My guess is it hasn't grown much since last quarter. Sure FSD Beta is improving nicely, but it still costs a LOT of money and that will likely make it prohibitive for most people to buy it, at least until it's much more proven than it currently is.

FSD will sell very well someday, but my gut feeling is we're still too early for that right now.

Agree... both SbW and 4WS should have contributed to a better handling score there.

I totally agree...and I'd expect better from a review by Doug Demuro.

I didn't see much of anything he did to actually test the handling. No mountain roads. Not even a U-turn. Without actually testing it, Steer by Wire and 4 Wheel Steering are just specs....and it's easy to say they don't do much if you're just toodling around on suburban streets and the freeway, where handling doesn't usually matter.

On the other hand, one of the early reviews put the Cybertruck up against a professional driver in a go-kart on a tight track full of tight turns:

Of course, it was done, in part, for comedic effect...and who knows what the specs on the go-kart were. But the reviewer was thoroughly impressed, and calmly narrating and reviewing while driving this giant truck quickly around tight corners while being chased by the kart. I'd like to see how the Hummer or Rivian or Lightning would handle around a similar course...

Tesla publishes official numbers every quarter, and when we get official numbers, we also get two very important things - context and explanation,

Often, but not always.

We never (to this day) got a good explanation of the terrible S/X refresh ramp timeline for example. Or why, 1.5 years after removing USS Tesla still hasn't brought FSD on those cars to parity with USS cars (though 12.3.2 will apparently move them a step closer, but still not all the way there).

Unclear if we'll get one for whatever has been holding up the Highland refresh in Fremont either this quarter.

IMO information without context and explanation is fairly worthless, especially if that information is speculative, and not official.

I think there's varying quality of info.... Troys #s, esp. late in the quarter, tend to be very accurate... if you're someone to whom the quarterly P&D number matters (this is more folks on the other thread in most, but not all, cases) that's the opposite of "fairly worthless"-- for example it's what told us:

Highland is having issues at Fremont
AND
CT is finally, as of a couple weeks ago, ramping exponentially at Austin

Seems worth knowing to me.

If it's speculation on "wen robotaxi" then yeah, pretty worthless.

My guess is it hasn't grown much since last quarter. Sure FSD Beta is improving nicely, but it still costs a LOT of money and that will likely make it prohibitive for most people to buy it, at least until it's much more proven than it currently is.

FSD will sell very well someday, but my gut feeling is we're still too early for that right now.
Probably should see a quarter of no growth since Tesla started the free 3 month trial for all those who used a referral link.

OK, years ago I expected TSLA to beat the Stephenson indicator (not smoothly but I was expecting progress).

To date I haven't sold a single share, and I've avoided buying Tesla's with money I could put into TSLA.

I've finally done it and put ~$21k into a 2018 Model 3 Long Range AWD. Still waiting for a delivery date but

1711679263546.png

and I still haven't sold any TSLA.

The main psychological support for my HODL strategy is this thread, thank you guys. But this is helped along by the real time sales in the world's most mature EV market.

No the competition is still not coming, but who earth is buying those BZ4Xs ?

View attachment 1032995

Curious what your definition for “competition” is.

As your data shows, in Q1 2024 so far Model Y is the clear leader in sales of a single model, but it also clearly shows that 79% of Q1 EV sales in Norway are other EVs models.

How high a percentage of the market do competitor EV sales have to become before the competition has officially arrived?

• Informative
Reactions: primedive and unk45
Curious what your definition for “competition” is.

As your data shows, in Q1 2024 so far Model Y is the clear leader in sales of a single model, but it also clearly shows that 79% of Q1 EV sales in Norway are other EVs models.

How high a percentage of the market do competitor EV sales have to become before the competition has officially arrived?
To be fair, Tesla do not (yet) compete in all segments. Given its size and price, the model Y does extremely well. The nissan leaf and MG4 are great cars, but not the price or size of the model Y.
Its just more evidence that Tesla need to get their act together on the model " and start production. I'm not *too* worried, because given what they did with the cybetruck, it should be good. The CT was LATE, giving time for the rivian and Lightning. Now its here, it looks likely to give the existing EV trucks a real challenge.
I think there are a lot of short range, low-speed small 'affordable' EVs that are currently doing very well, that will struggle against a model 2. Especially as we are at least a whole years FSD updates away from that. Imagine a $25k model 2 with the option of FSD. How does the Nissan leaf beat that?

I'd expect better from a review by Doug Demuro.

For real? You haven't been following him closely in that case, I don't expect anything fair or unbiased from someone that says "If you have a Bluecheck your opinion or comment will be promptly ignored", gets in a fight about Tesla frequently when he is totally wrong on his points, doubles down when lots of people correct him and so on

The fact that it got the top of the line score is showing how great CT is, because even in this case he had to bring down a bit so it wasn't too far ahead, like in acceleration