Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope. I don't want it to fail. I want EVs on the road and it a good thing Tesla kicked the butt of everyone. But I want them to change couple of things. Elon should stop behaving like a kid. He should stop claiming unproven or incorrect things about the car. He should stop false advertising. He should stop releasing untested features.

550,000 smart summons and only two questionable videos. That's nearly perfect. Seems like you have some homework to do to prove how horrible this feature really is.

On the plus side it will result in significantly more profits on those units (50% vs. the usual ~20%) - but the income is spread out over ~3 years.

Would you be so gracious as to share your calculations of the 50% profit?

Using grossly optimistic lease residual values to attract lessees with lower monthly payments is great for the lessees but not so much for shareholders.

The piper is paid at the end of the lease term, except the payment shows up in Services & Other rather than Auto Leasing on the Operating Statement. In 2Q19 Services & Other Gross Margin (i.e. NOT Net Margin) was a negative 22.8%.

Some of the detriment also shows up in COGS but there is no visibility of how much relates to use Automotive "Finished Goods" inventory:
"We write-down inventory for any excess or obsolete inventories or when we believe that the net realizable value of inventories is less than the carrying value. During the three and six months ended June 30, 2019, we recorded write-downs of $24.8 million and $89.0 million, respectively,"
Also, while not necessarily lease returns the same phenomenon applies:

The increases in the three and six months ended June 30, 2019 compared to the same periods in the prior year were primarily due to increases in used vehicle sales from increased volumes of trade-in vehicles, partially offset by lower average selling prices for them due to price adjustments we made to our vehicle offerings during the first half of 2019

As a result, along with the estimated variable consideration related to normal future product returns for vehicles sold under the buyback options program, we adjusted our sales return reserve on vehicles previously sold under our buyback options program resulting in a reduction of automotive sales revenues of $64.1 million for the three months ended June 30, 2019.​

Very happy that LR S/X sales came in 17K+. This will benefit cash flow and EBITDA.

Yes, there was a lot of calls that S/X would drop significantly (made up for by numbers of 3s) so this was a positive surprise. The fact that Tesla hit 17k S/X is going to be way more impactful to cash flow then just hitting 100k deliveries total. Something it seems has not been properly appreciated investors.

It sounds like you are saying you were using money you weren't prepared to lose? And with options no less? What were your strike prices?

Zero sympathies here.

I do not understand why people like to make these idiotic assumptions. None of that can be extracted from my post. I don't get it. What do you gain from this?

Today is one of those days I suspect Elon is deliberately engineering target misses to keep his people motivated, and he really don’t care about TSLA traders.
Only way to work through it, is to keep buying when it drops and don’t gamble, I am bad at either, I usually spend all dry power too soon, and can’t help buying calls, my bad...:(

Orders (demand) in the Qtr were 110,000. Telsa produced 96,155 and delivered 97,000 vehicles. Seems like a production constraint to me.

sorry i cannot agree... basic economics tells us, when demand is higher than supply, the price goes up, and now apparently tesla is using all kinds of price reductions and promotions to make sure it uses most of its production capacity (without working overtime though). how could tesla cut price and offer free charging etc when the demand is high enough and the production capacity is the bottleneck?

tesla's business model is to order then build (kind of), and it is very likely to have some orders waiting to be fulfill any time. also, this quarter there was some unexpected tax cut in china, and the sudden surge of orders couldn't be filled immediately (transportation requires almost 20 days from US to china)...it was just one time thing and you can refer it to some region allocation problem but not a shortage of supply.

sorry i cannot agree... basic economics tells us, when demand is higher than supply, the price goes up, and now apparently tesla is using all kinds of price reductions and promotions to make sure it uses most of its production capacity (without working overtime though). how could tesla cut price and offer free charging etc when the demand is high enough and the production capacity is the bottleneck?

tesla's business model is to order then build (kind of), and it is very likely to have some orders waiting to be fulfill any time. also, this quarter there was some unexpected tax cut in china, and the sudden surge of orders couldn't be filled immediately (transportation requires almost 20 days from US to china)...it was just one time thing and you can refer it to some region allocation problem but not a shortage of supply.

Lol so you are flat out are saying that Tesla is putting out fraudulent informatio . How else are you disagreeing with Tesla saying order rates are 110,000 per quarter. Good to know that's what your hanging your hat on. Always a good strategy to base your decisions on a company based on the fraud strategy

Lol so you are flat out are saying that Tesla is putting out fraudulent informatio . How else are you disagreeing with Tesla saying order rates are 110,000 per quarter. Good to know that's what your hanging your hat on. Always a good strategy to base your decisions on a company based on the fraud strategy

no offense, just share my thoughts... no doubt elon musk is a genius, but he is also a narcissistic man who always put his ego far far before everything, including the interest of investors, and sometimes truth... however, we are talking about investment not religion, and i dont need the ceo of tesla to be a saint when invest in it... i still believe the opportunity surpasses the risk for tesla, so my money is here with it...

I'm not a TSLA super bull and I strongly disagree with this bear guy. Tesla is not demand constrained at all. In fact, Tesla is gaining and will gain more organic demand over time. EVs become more and more enticing by the month and year.

To say that Tesla is demand constrained is to say that the tens of billions being invested by other oems right now will go to waste. Tesla makes the best EVs. If Tesla ever has a problem with demand, the industry will implode.

Where is the significant production increase Jerome was talking about?
It seems like they only managed a 10% increase in Model 3 production :(

upload_2019-10-3_16-5-28.jpeg

Are you saying a 10% production increase in one quarter in an existing operating factory (with little downtime) is not significant?

110k orders in a 97k quarter, with production growth of 10% during that quarter.

Strewth. I would call that “priced to bloody perfection”.

I doubt they will do 5k in GF3 in Q4. But then, GF3 has been breaking records, so we’ll have to see.

I expect GF3 to start making just a couple of dozen cars a day until they can get the quality right. They may hit 100 per day by end of Q4.

I expect the China launch to go quite smooth. Two points.

-I have done a few transfers of manufacturing into China and they went amazingly well. The amount of resources applied is incredible and they meet the timelines. They can afford to have more people so what might take a week here gets done in a day or so in China. In the end they may not be as efficient in labor hours/car but they are more efficient in $$/car.

-The model 3 is now a stable design so they will not be dealing with design issues as they ramp production.

Another example of not understanding the Tesla mission and expecting Tesla to behave like a traditional company.

no offense, just share my thoughts... no doubt elon musk is a genius, but he is also a narcissistic man who always put his ego far far before everything, including the interest of investors, and sometimes truth... however, we are talking about investment not religion, and i dont need the ceo of tesla to be a saint when invest in it... i still believe the opportunity surpasses the risk for tesla, so my money is here with it...

Obvious care bear is obvious

You are behind the times. My understanding is...

Tesla is building a mix of variations of Model 3s. Color, battery size, motors etc.

Tesla is guessing what the mix needs to be for each local market.

Orders are matched to available inventory and used to build then next batch.

Tesla uses discounts to get buyers to modify their order to what is available in the local inventory. Particularily towards the end of a quarter.

You are behind the times. My understanding is...

Tesla is building a mix of variations of Model 3s. Color, battery size, motors etc.

Tesla is guessing what the mix needs to be for each local market.

Orders are matched to available inventory and used to build then next batch.

Tesla uses discounts to get buyers to modify their order to what is available in the local inventory. Particularily towards the end of a quarter.

To clarify:
Interested buyers were working with advisors to find an inventory model that they liked given sufficient discounts—before orders were placed.

If I’m understanding Bullish_Bear correctly, he’s questioning why Tesla needs to offer free SC for everyone and discounts for buyers willing to pick up an available inventory. If demand far outweighs supply.

Last edited:
Quick note regarding the Model Y prototype that was spotted in the wild today.

The first time we saw a Model X prototype was in February of 2015. Model X entered production 7 months later.
The first time we saw a Model 3 prototype was in April of 2017. Model 3 entered production 3 months later.

I think it is reasonable to assume that we are about 5 months away from the start of Model Y production. The official production start that Tesla has given is fall 2020. Elon has said that internal targets are more aggressive. My estimate is production will start in February/March of 2020. Volume production by the end of summer.
Are you sure it's not a linear trend and production started a month ago?

If demand far outweighs supply.

Demand fluctuates based on the available options and pricing. Tesla just needs a good mix of options and pricing to satisfy all the different buyers. Some buyers like premium features, others like bare-bones.

The misconception here is that there is "one" demand level, and while everyone is caught up about demand, the more important metric is gross margin. If Tesla can lower prices and still have a high margin, current demand is meaningless, since demand is contingent on pricing.