Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please throw us a bone: is it a "software feature" something else, or a "bunch of nicely configured atoms on wheels" something else? :D

My guess, tesla mobile base. Pickup + battery advancement = mobile distributed power grid. Connects to any supercharger or destination for upload to the grid and earn money. Plus you can hookup all your construction equipment to the base.

For a numbers guy you don't seem to understand the accrual accounting for those refundable deposits. $20m > $0
It's 500m of cash and 500m of deferred revenue in one case or 20m of cash and 20m of deferred revenue in the other. In both cases the cash can be spent as Tesla sees fit and they only recognize the revenue when they deliver the car.

If I were to attach significance to this change I'd say Tesla feels they no longer need the additional cash and chose to reduce credit card processing fees. They may also feel a small non-refundable deposit better predicts actual orders than a large refundable one. Firmer orders allow them to more accurately plan production and logistics.

I’ve been wondering for awhile how widespread option manipulation is. It’s really not surprising that whichever hedge funds are targeting TSLA also target other stocks with similar characteristics.

There’s really no macro news causing the drop today. If anything, the macro business news has been favorable this week. Maybe the sudden drop off is just normal random walking, but it sure is suspicious that today is a monthly option expiration day.

It would be enlightening to see some research on what’s happened on previous option expiration days when targeted stocks of manipulators have recently risen and need a last-day batting down. Do these hedge funds have such clout that they could possibly impact NASDAQ macro trading? If so, that is truly alarming, but it seems unlikely.
Cheating, souless, greedy, S.O.B. the face sucking parasite that is the likes of Goldman Sachs..and the like.

What exactly do they provide except a vacuum of people's money.

Thank you so much for posting that, Karen. I was working far off the grid at some remote projects when that came out and I missed it. This is more than just a brilliant effort to entice Elon to their event.........it is literally a metaphor for what keeps TSLAQ and the Old Paradigm up at night. Elon's star power is beyond their grasp. There is not another CEO on the planet receiving such positive attention despite one of the most intensely coordinated mass smear campaigns against any company and any one individual in our human history.

I am hopeful that Dana, Lora, Linette and others take the time to see this and that they reflect internally on what they are really trying to accomplish at this critical point in our history..............especially Dana Hull. We have diligently followed every move of this company long before buying our first TSLA shares in early 2013. And in that process we had come to look forward to Dana's truthful and thoughtful updates while she was writing for the San Jose Mercury News. She was very helpful for us and we are grateful for who she was and what she did back then. But that is not who she is now. And it is extremely disappointing because of all the 'reporters' in that crowd, she at least was once focused on making the world a better place. Had we continued to 'invest' in her advice we would have lost our investment long ago - and in doing so, she would have succeeded in convincing yet another share holder not to allow TSLA to borrow their money to advance such an extremely important mission for human kind. Dana is the antithesis of the young entrepreneurs in this video. I hope she is trolling TMC again today and reads this. She has consciously contributed to slowing our progress towards a brighter future and she should be required to stop and think about that from time to time. And of everyone in that crowd, at least she might.

if you want to know her motives, follow the money.
Somehow it pays for her to malign Tesla.

It's 500m of cash and 500m of deferred revenue in one case or 20m of cash and 20m of deferred revenue in the other. In both cases the cash can be spent as Tesla sees fit and they only recognize the revenue when they deliver the car.

The $20 million would not be deferred revenue because it would be comprised entirely of order fees. Tesla earns the $100 as soon as they take your order and they don't have to give it back if you cancel so it's not deferred revenue.

OT Seen at Twenty One Pilots concert, imagery for "Don't believe the hype" features plaid.

20191012_211504.jpg
20191012_211556.jpg
20191012_211618.jpg

Ohhhh... That's so nice to see someone's doing it smartly and lets community nominate knowledgeable people rather than collecting dumb FUD from Twitter.
Another example of how social power and focus could move a stock, maybe tame/boost TSLA some by filtering out the flood of garbage media attacks on Tesla.

Shorts fear factor, same as China with Hong Kong IMHO.

Re: One more thing at Pickup event.

1) I think the Pickup is going to be massive in size. It could be a "smaller", more normal looking pickup will be the one more thing.

2). Model Y deliveries happen at the event.

3). A Model S comes into parking lot having just completed a autonomous coast-to-coast trip. First version of Nav on Surface streets is released that night.

Tesla’s Model Y Is Coming. Elon Musk May Have Hyped It Too Much.

clickbait title, so here's a quote:

RBC’s Spak doesn’t feel the same way about the stock or investor expectations. He rates shares the equivalent of Sell, with a $190 price target. He says that CEO Elon Musk has hyped the new crossover too much, leading to heightened expectations.

“Elon has bulls excited by implying the Model Y could achieve 1.1 million units,” wrote Spak. “He has also indicated the Model Y market is 2.5 times larger than Model 3 though our analysis suggests the market opportunity for Model Y is closer to 1.5 times Model 3.”

That’s a lot of ratios. Overall, Spak believes a more reasonable estimate of the global market for Model Ys is around 500,000 units. Of course, investors may not be taking Musk’s optimistic comments at face value. If the Y is delivered to the market on time and sells well, the stock would likely rise.

Can anyone explain why marketmakers almost always want SP to go down on expiration day? Why is max pain almost always lower than current SP? I can’t remember them manipulating the stock upwards. Shouldn’t it be more like fifty-fifty?
The 3 main factors responsible for skewing the pegging of strike prices to the negative side at expiry are:

1) The Madoff Exemption
2) The removal of the uptick rule in 2007
3) Regulation SHO

Those with market-making status (i.e., brokers and some hedge funds) can sell stock without borrowing real shares. Accordingly, they are required to deliver stock at T+2 (in two days). Often they do not produce real shares within two days and then, thanks to Reg SHO, the shares become FTDs (fails-to-deliver). These short sellers then have an additional 12 days to "clear" the FTDs. So, by the time they really have to come up with the shares, expiry is a distant memory.

On the flip side. If one were to try to manipulate a stock to close at a higher stock price, the cash used to purchase these shares is due at T+2, no monkey business.