Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While they also used the phrase "by the summer of 2020", Elon further clarified it during the conference call:

"Well, we've talked about the launch time. What really matters is the timing to volume production where volume production is some number in excess of 1,000 units per week. And we're confident of reaching that point no later than the middle of 2020. Yeah, so from an interest standpoint, we do not expect it to interfere. Yeah, the body line is separate, the paint line is -- basically we do not expect it to interfere with Model 3. No, we do not expect any downtime."​

The "middle of 2020" is June 30. That's also when Q2 ends - so I'd expect a "1k/week final sometime in June" milestone. (Assuming nothing goes seriously wrong, but after GF3 this would be the third time they bootstrapped a new production line based on the Model 3 platform, so I'd be surprised about major problems.)

Just in time for S&P 500 inclusion, which might be official by May and might happen sometime in June. :D

But yes, 1-2 months of delay is entirely in the cards, at this point.

It’s Tesla time, add 3 months.

BTW, speaking of doors getting jammed in accidents, I was wondering if maybe this is somewhere that Tesla could innovate, too. Taking SpaceX's experience with explosive bolts, they could have the door hinges and latching mechanisms physically sever themselves in an accident if the impact force/speed is great enough. Possibly even preemptively, and with a bit of a kick to make sure that the door moves out before the frame deforms in a way that could wedge it in.
The Mercedes gullwing doors had explosive bolts in case it ended up on it's lid:

And he said if Tesla decided to, not that they were actually doing it.

Last I heard he thinks cheap vehicles will be irrelevant in a world of autonomous vehicles.

yeah, we’ve gotten mixed messages over the years, but agree that’s the last thing we’ve heard publicly that I am aware of.

would not be surprised if there’s a scaled down Tesla vehicle (or a few) for “developing countries” (~half the planet’s population) and/or massive urban centers. such products not necessarily what the $25k Tesla referred to.

I've been waiting a long time to use this again:

source.gif

With a newfound attention on Tesla Energy, and Elon's strategic answer to a very open-ended question about the most under appreciated part of Tesla's business, I can't imagine the roof v3 reveal will be a letdown. Tesla Energy is really going to start hitting its stride, and this will have to be factored into the valuation of the company well before any of the autonomy stuff starts hitting.

Meaning, 100bn valuation shouldn't be that far off...

Come on folks, let's show a little sympathy for the short sellers. They are fellow human beings with hopes and feelings. They might be credulous pawns in the hands of hedge fund manipulators who feed them nonsense, but their ignorance may ultimately be due to something missing in their education. Hug a short today. ;)
Hug them really good, give them a real big SQUEEZE!

Tesla Chairwoman Robyn Denholm on the company's goals for its China expansion

If you just look at their body language in that video still, you can tell exactly what they’re thinking and how the questions are going. Ms. Denholm is thinking ‘Let’s just meet out back without an audience.’ And Ron Baron is thinking ‘Nice try sweetie, but I know what you’re doing.’

She thinks she’s clever, but mostly she’s smarmy and disingenuous.

Come on folks, let's show a little sympathy for the short sellers. They are fellow human beings with hopes and feelings. They might be credulous pawns in the hands of hedge fund manipulators who feed them nonsense, but their ignorance may ultimately be due to something missing in their education. Hug a short today. ;)

I mean, sure. But on the other hand...

tenor.gif