Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With Tesla Semi’s running back and forth on autopilot?
Don't forget platooning! That's more efficient than rail.

That should be easier to put into practice than self driving I'd think, and being first with a rear driverless platooning truck will be extremely noteworthy, even if geo-limited to repeatedly traveled commercial routes.

I'm very surprised the Consumer Reports hasn't released the results of their reliability survey. I had to go back to 2006 to find a year in which there wasn't an October press release. I guess it'll be sometime this week. Maybe it is held up because they have to figure out how to get Tesla to stay below average. /s (maybe)

Dumb people only know what's put in front of their face.

Eh, not just dumb people. People who don't obsess over those particular subjects. We have the time and interest to actually look into these fire reports on a deep level, but nobody has the ability to devote that much time and energy into understanding every subject. It's usually sensible to rely on one or more (apparent) authorities for those things you don't have the time to research personally(I, for example, have not read a single peer reviewed article on the subject of climate change, or even directly heard from any of the scientists researching it).

having just moved from Michigan to the Bay I agree with your sentiment on living out west being better. But moving one family is a task. Moving an entire labor force is not as easy as “it’s better out there”. People have spouses with lives, kids with friends. Not to mention the cost both financial and psychological of the act of moving.
Not sure what your job is but imagine someone told your entire office they were moving 3000 miles away. It would not go well.
Just do it,
the early settlers in 1842 had a tough time

I'm very surprised the Consumer Reports hasn't released the results of their reliability survey. I had to go back to 2006 to find a year in which there wasn't an October press release. I guess it'll be sometime this week. Maybe it is held up because they have to figure out how to get Tesla to stay below average. /s (maybe)

Could someone with press credentials or with a CR subscription ask Consumer Reports about this perhaps? There might be an innocuous reason for it.

Eh, not just dumb people. People who don't obsess over those particular subjects. We have the time and interest to actually look into these fire reports on a deep level, but nobody has the ability to devote that much time and energy into understanding every subject. It's usually sensible to rely on one or more (apparent) authorities for those things you don't have the time to research personally(I, for example, have not read a single peer reviewed article on the subject of climate change, or even directly heard from any of the scientists researching it).
You are kinder than I am, or maybe I'm just analytical and judgmental. ;) I do tend to see people who form their opinions based on a few headlines or "my cousin's uncle's niece said blah blah" as intellectually lazy.
To be clear, I do this myself but when somebody counters this then I'm willing to look up the details and see if I was wrong.

I love this quoted point most of all...Making it clear the time for half-measures is coming to the end.

The logic is to stop people who are buying PHEVs to game the system... e.g. because you get 24% off their sticker price vs. an equivalent ICE car (just from the VAT discount alone... more for the pollution fees), so even if you never plan to plug it in, some people were buying them to drive them around on gasoline.

With Tesla's advancement in FSD, why not have the cars drive themselves from the factory to the docks in the wee hours of night? Or load themselves on the ships or railcars?

I’m sure they’ll do whatever makes the most sense from a cost and efficiency standpoint. In the long-term all the ideas we’re spitballing would have to be evaluated, but obviously we’re a few years out from any of them.

Oh, nice didn't come across this guy before.

Looks like he laid out his thesis in 2016, before
The Osborne Effect On The Auto Industry | CleanTechnica
and

Nice to see more voices talking about the coming disruption.

I love this quoted point most of all...Making it clear the time for half-measures is coming to the end.

Tony gets a lot right, but he exaggerates and is also off in 2 ways:

1) Having fewer cars because of Robo taxis will not reduce traffic. Even though there are fewer cars, the overall mileage will stay the same or even probably increase which will make traffic the same or worse.

2) He applies the battery cost decline curve to the entire cost of the vehicle, when it should only apply to the battery, (and maybe electric drivetrain) alone, versus the gasoline engine/transmission/emission systems. When battery prices were by far the largest aspect, his projections were fairly accurate, however as battery prices decline, his projections will get further and further off. However, since Tesla is reinventing manufacturing, they may make his estimates look better than they actually are.

The logic is to stop people who are buying PHEVs to game the system... e.g. because you get 24% off their sticker price vs. an equivalent ICE car (just from the VAT discount alone... more for the pollution fees), so even if you never plan to plug it in, some people were buying them to drive them around on gasoline.

This is 100% accurate. I remember a couple years ago in California, due to the heavy discounts on the Ford Fusion Energi, it literally made 0 sense to buy a cheaper version of the Ford Fusion since you could get a very well-loaded Fusion Energi for the same price or cheaper (granted, this is pre-tax, but post-federal and state discounts) as a minimaly-equipped base model Ford Fusion.

To be fair to plug-in hybrids though, I do see a potential niche customer purchasing one of the plug-in hybrids simply due to cheaper initial cost, and then realizing that they could save even more money on fuel costs by plugging in at home. I also see the possibility of this customer becoming an EV convert after truly realizing how much savings on fuel they are recognizing from plugging in at home. PHEVs do serve a purpose, even if the purpose is quite limited.

Reactions: wipster and kbM3
Not sure what your job is but imagine someone told your entire office they were moving 3000 miles away. It would not go well.

That's funny. Are people really that spoiled? Because the job I had for most of my working years required me to get on a 58' boat and navigate my "home" for the next 3 months through sometimes treacherous seas for thousands of miles, away from my family. Not once but each and every year. If I wanted to make a living.

Nobody is owed a job and you will have to excuse me if I don't find moving across the country, when the company you work for fails, to be too adventurous or disruptive! Particularly when the union bosses you elected to represent you, actively lobby the company to NOT do the very thing that could have saved your job!

A woman was impaled by a metal bar that fell off a truck on a California highway - CNN

If this had been a Tesla the truck would be held accountable. But yeah, let's talk about those Tesla fires!

A woman in California is recovering after being impaled in the leg by a large metal bar that fell off a big truck while traveling on the highway, according to officials.

The unnamed victim was riding in a car on Highway 99 in Sacramento on Saturday, when the metal bar fell off of the truck in front of them, authorities said.
"The metal bar then bounced up and entered the right front of the Chevy, traveled through the engine compartment and entered the passenger compartment of the Chevy and impaled the right leg of the right front passenger," the California Highway Patrol's South Sacramento division said in a statement.
The driver was able to pull off the road safely and call 911. First responders freed the woman from the car and she was transported to a local hospital, where she is in stable condition.

CHP says the truck did not stop after the metal bar fell off, and authorities are seeking any information in the case.
Last month in Georgia, a driver made it out alive after he rear-ended a log truck and the logs pierced his car from the front windshield to the back window.

Tony gets a lot right, but he exaggerates and is also off in 2 ways:

1) Having fewer cars because of Robo taxis will not reduce traffic. Even though there are fewer cars, the overall mileage will stay the same or even probably increase which will make traffic the same or worse.

2) He applies the battery cost decline curve to the entire cost of the vehicle, when it should only apply to the battery, (and maybe electric drivetrain) alone, versus the gasoline engine/transmission/emission systems. When battery prices were by far the largest aspect, his projections were fairly accurate, however as battery prices decline, his projections will get further and further off. However, since Tesla is reinventing manufacturing, they may make his estimates look better than they actually are.
Miles driven will certainly increase, but there is an offset that will occur due to fewer accidents. We could probably estimate the net change by looking at how much of traffic is caused by accidents or just poor driving (cutting people off, driving slow in left lane etc.) compared to the increase in miles driven (blind, old, young people, longer trips/less flying)

Robo-taxis enable much more frequent car-pooling. All it takes is a cheaper ride ticket (i.e. paying for a seat-km not just km).

2) He applies the battery cost decline curve to the entire cost of the vehicle
This is correct way of looking at things. Everything else in a car doesn't change the picture. EVs are not and will not be bound by motor cost.

• Helpful
Reactions: GOVA
It is less common a root cause, but Ford had trouble with it:
CNN.com - Ford recalling 3.8 million vehicles - Sep 9, 2005

And here's another brake fluid related item for Ford which resulted in probably the most expensive missed recall for a single vehicle ever:

How One Recalled SUV Destroyed $45 Million in Cars, Burned a Massive Ship, and Sparked a Legal Battle between Ford and BMW

“'Brake fluid leaking from the master cylinder reservoir cap had been reported to enter the vehicles’ automatic braking system (ABS) wiring harness electrical connectors, causing short-circuits, melting, and fires,' the NTSB reported. By 2012, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration knew of at least 260 vehicles that experienced a non-crash related fire. ....

In total, the incident caused $100 million in damage, nearly half attributable to junked BMWs, Daimlers and Fords."

Last edited: