Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning, when I said I was hoping for a red day, I was actually hoping for something more like an intraday drop to $420-$422. :( Maybe on Monday...:)

I’m okay hereabouts or thereabouts too until the Q4 results are in. I don’t want the shorts to have much wiggle room then. Prefer they aren’t able to manufacture much of a drop on the results.

After that I hope to see the steamroller continue. Not that I’d actually be upset or something to see it continue next week.

Shout out to Warren Buffet. I finally really get the "pennies in front of a steamroller" analogy as I’m sure many shorts now do too — viscerally.

Reactions: StealthP3D
On .5B/day, the run up from 330 started Dec 5th so it's what, $7B so far that you think went into the move? Is that even possible without a disclosure to buy that much?
Oh - as to whether it is actually happening now - I think the chances are very low. More likely some big whales are coming back in after bailing out after Q1.

Can someone point me to a summary of what we know about Tesla’s near-term auto production expansion plans? Is someone maintaining a spreadsheet or sticky?

Here’s my current understanding of their EOY production rate:

2019:
Fremont: 400k S, 3, X
GF3: 50k 3

50k Y
GF3. 150k. 3
? ? Semi
—-
Fremont: 400k S,3,X
? Y
GF 3. 150 k 3
? Y
GF4:
? Y

2022. + Cybertruck...

Can someone point me to a summary of what we know about Tesla’s near-term auto production expansion plans? Is someone maintaining a spreadsheet or sticky?

2019:

50k Y
GF3. 150k. 3
? ? Semi
—-
? Y
GF 3. 150 k 3
? Y
GF4:
? Y

2022. + Cybertruck...
There will be way more Y from Fremont in 2020. GF3 is almost certainly at 150k per year now except the parts (mostly batteries) are not ready. Fremonts run rate is 500k or very close right now.

There will be way more Y from Fremont in 2020. GF3 is almost certainly at 150k per year now except the parts (mostly batteries) are not ready. Fremonts run rate is 500k or very close right now.
Maybe you’re right about Model Y production, but the official guidance from Elon Musk is they are targeting volume production in summer 2020, where volume means >1,000 vehicles per week.

GF3 has been rumored to be about 1,000 per week now, the goal is 3,000 per week

I haven’t seen any news about Fremont reaching 125k/Q.

A five-foot foundation isn't going to be any help with even a 10-foot Tsunami. You are talking about regular flood mitigation to protect against typhoon induced tidal surge. Not tsunamis.

A five foot foundation isn't going to protect against a 10 foot tsunami? What is the point of stating the obvious?

Tsunamis after an underwater earthquake can be as small as 9" or over a 100'.

The point is to protect against more regular mundane occurrences not once in a generation.

I was thinking if your a big fund and your desperate for a tax write down, you only have 2 days left to cover your position in 2019.:)

Fire Away!
“It’s the batteries, stupid!”
Aah, NO.

Today was the last date anyone can trade equities for a 2019 time period. Settlement for NASDAQ securities is Trade Date + 2...thus Friday's trades (today) close two trading days later....ie, on the 31st.

Here is the appropriate calendar: December 2019 Settlement Date Calendar (NASDAQ)

On edit: and the ONLY date the IRS cares about is Settlement Date. Caveat arpinis!

ON FURTHER EDIT - see posts by @The Accountant , @Curt Renz , and me @AudubonB below!

Last edited:

2019:

50k Y
GF3. 150k. 3
? ? Semi
—-
? Y
GF 3. 150 k 3
? Y
GF4:
? Y

2022. + Cybertruck...

Here is the official information from the 19Q3 release:
19Q3 Factory Info.png

So you are off on your S3X estimates at Fremont by 10%.

Reactions: JustMe and EinSV
Aah, NO.

Today was the last date anyone can trade equities for a 2019 time period. Settlement for NASDAQ securities is Trade Date + 2...thus Friday's trades (today) close two trading days later....ie, on the 31st.

Here is the appropriate calendar: December 2019 Settlement Date Calendar (NASDAQ)

In the US, the Trade Date is used for recording tax gain or loss (exception for short sales)
This is from IRS Instructions for Form 8949: "Use the trade date for stocks and bonds traded on an exchange or over-the-counter market. For a short sale, enter the date you delivered the property to the broker or lender to close the short sale.

So for US members, you can still sell equities on the 30th or 31st to generate gains or losses for tax purposes.
Net losses are limited to $3,000; any losses above $3,000 are carried-over to the following year.

I was thinking if your a big fund and your desperate for a tax write down, you only have 2 days left to cover your position in 2019.:)
Aah, NO.

This matter took up much of my time this afternoon. Years ago I had been told that for long stock positions (not necessarily other asset classes) the trade date of a sale is what was taken into consideration by the IRS. Indeed there exists a settlement date which over the years has crept closer to the trade date; it's now two business days after the trade, and it's the deadline for the brokers to exchange the documents and money. CNBC announcers and some other sources I found insisted that today was the last day to sell shares and have that count for this tax year.

Others assured us it's the trade date that counts, and trades up to December 31st will count for the 2019 tax year.

FAQs: How do I time a year-end stock sale? - Presti & Naegele

Is a Stock Sale Reportable Based on Trade Date or Settlement Date?

So I phoned the IRS. The agent said its "probably" the date the sale is finally closed. I told her that I expected more than "probably" from the IRS. She then said it is likely whatever date is provided to the IRS by my broker. So I called TD Ameritrade and was told that the trade date is what counts for tax purposes, not the settlement date. I confirmed this is true by comparing the dates of some of my 2018 trades with dates reported on my 2018 IRS Form 8949. They were identical. TD Ameritrade reported my trade dates to their associate GainsKeeper which relayed the Form 8949 to Intuit-TurboTax and finally to the IRS.

I can only say for certain that is my situation with my broker and the chain that leads to the IRS. Perhaps it's different for others.

EDIT: I now see that @The Accountant beat me with a post while I was composing this one. He confirms what I found. Thank you.

Last edited: