Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it amusing to think that my "joke buy" at $420,00 has now earned me almost $100 ;)
Thanks for the reminder:
420TSLA.jpg

I was thinking more along the lines of this; Tesla Semi coming shorties. Better get out of the road!

View attachment 499734

I don't have the skills. It would be entertaining to see someone put together a video of TSLA price climb recently opposed to shorts and analysts quotes with Ludicrous' "Move B**ch" playing in the background.

NOW this looks more like a squeeze

Yes, and we have seen elements just like this one in previous days and weeks. But here's the thing:

Buying pressure from longs wanting to get in looks just like buying pressure from shorts wanting to cover.

This just showed up on my Schwab:

fourth Quarter Earnings Announcement Expected: Earnings will tentatively be announced 01/29/2020. With 20 analysts covering TSLA, the consensus EPS estimate is $1.62, and the high and low estimates are $2.25 and $0.80, respectively.

Expected Timing:
After close

Etrade chose TODAY of all days to raise my margin requirement on TSLA to 65% from 55%

They have also made their chat system magically unworkable today.

Of course it's foul play.

Bullish AF
Sounds like you are overconcentrated in Tesla. Log in, look at your portfolio, and hit "margin".
Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 12.45.07 .png

There's a column "Concentration %" and an "info" link. Among other things, the info button says:
Shows the concentration of each eligible stock you own—its market value relative to your overall portfolio. Concentrated positions exceeding 80% may be subject to higher margin maintenance requirements, as determined by E*TRADE after considering a number of factors, including market price of equity, portfolio equity rating (NAV / [NAV - maintenance excess]), preexisting special margin requirements, and market sectors.
To get the margin rate back down to 35% (where it is for me) you need to probably diversify a bit (if you have few other stocks) or convert some of the stock to options/LEAPS. If you do that you'll actually be able to buy even more options as the margin requirement goes down.

Note: this increase possibly caused you a margin call? If so, get on the phone to them, and tell them what you're doing, and that you want them to look at the situation again overnight.

People who are not stock savvy will always look at the stock price vs the market cap. Even after explaining market cap/share 3 times to a female friend of mine..she still from time to time tells me how "expense" TSLA shares are and how cheap ford is at only 9 dollars a share. Jay2cent, a well known tech youtuber did an in-depth analysis on AMD the company, and said "wow AMD's stock is almost at Intels!" without bringing up market cap or anything. Also checked comments and not one person corrected him about this out of millions of subscribers.

Telling you, the majority of people has zero clue. So I don't see a split as a bad thing, might as well get clueless people to invest.

So you're saying that if Tesla did a 1:10 split and the stock price was trading at $50, people would think it to be a bargain and buy the stock price? You know, you're probably right. We are truly in the age of the clueless stock investor.

HOWEVER, countering that, a high stock price make people feel good about the company, even if they can't buy the stock, so it might help car sales.

I guess either way the stock price goes up?

I don't bother to read Anton's articles anymore, I just scroll to the bottom to make sure he is still short. This is what I found:

Disclosure: I am/we are short TSLA. I wrote this article myself, and it expresses my own opinions. I am not receiving compensation for it (other than from Seeking Alpha). I have no business relationship with any company whose stock is mentioned in this article.

Additional disclosure: At the time of submitting this article for publication, the author was short TSLA.

Yep, the article is dated today. :)

This just showed up on my Schwab:

fourth Quarter Earnings Announcement Expected: Earnings will tentatively be announced 01/29/2020. With 20 analysts covering TSLA, the consensus EPS estimate is $1.62, and the high and low estimates are $2.25 and $0.80, respectively.

Expected Timing:
After close
ETrade says earnings 1/28/2020. I assume that's a guess. Consensus EPS estimate is $1.71.

Sounds like you are overconcentrated in Tesla. Log in, look at your portfolio, and hit "margin".
View attachment 499733

There's a column "Concentration %" and an "info" link. Among other things, the info button says:

To get the margin rate back down to 35% (where it is for me) you need to probably diversify a bit (if you have few other stocks) or convert some of the stock to options/LEAPS. If you do that you'll actually be able to buy even more options as the margin requirement goes down.

Note: this increase possibly caused you a margin call? If so, get on the phone to them, and tell them what you're doing, and that you want them to look at the situation again overnight.
I am not diversifying a thing. Been 150% Tesla for a year and that's the tradition in this household goldurnit

Mike Santoli yammering about irrational exuberance as TSLA blasts through $525. Some hedge clown agreeing with him.

Poor saps.

How do you work for CNBC and not see what's going on here?

The hedge fund guy said building plants will be too expensive. Meanwhile, Elon barely spent a dime building GF2 or GF3. Idiots.