Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep. The downside is that will surely delay S and X sales again this year as people wait. The good news is Tesla will have alien tech available fairly soon.

2021 thus will likely be the year of a strong revival in S+X. Wonder if it can get to 100k again.

plaid will be substantially more expensive. Not sure how many would want to wait on vehicles that are expensive supercars. That seems like a small customer base. Don't get me wrong, they will be awesome halo cars that will push sales on everything else. Just not sure how many actual people are going to wait for plaid.

In Q4, the annualized total vehicle production rate in Fremont was just over 415,000 units, about the same rate as the factory under NUMMI reached in its peak year of 2006. We achieved this production rate in spite of Model S/X running on a single shift and before the start of Model Y production.

So this gives us some more details. 415k in Q4. S&X are 90k, so Model 3 was 325k. So maybe Model Y is at 75k? ~1,400/week? No again, that seems high as they would need to stash ~7k Model Ys somewhere if they started deliveries on march 1st...

Also, S&X is 90k while still running on a single shift.

Yeah I’ve never seen the price so steady during a call. No idea what that means.

There was constant buying during the call at significant volumes, but I guess someone wanted to control the price and kept it at around $650. Big options writer not properly hedged for 1/31 expires hoping to shake out weak hands?

And to clarify that 19Q3 they said Model 3 was at a run rate of 350k/year. For 19Q4 they say Model 3&Y combined are at a run rate of 400k/year. Does that mean ~350k Model 3 and ~50k Model Y? Or some other combination of the two?

Maybe it is 375k Model 3 and 25k Model Y... (If they aren't starting deliveries until March the run rate can't be too high as they would have nowhere to stash more than a months worth of production.)

I suppose it could mean they are pursuing a flexible and configurable assembly line where they can dynamically change the mix of products. Not a new idea for the auto industry for instance see Continued Evolution of the Toyota Assembly Line | AllAboutLean.com It'd be a good idea in principal so that they could better match to future demand. Though the fact that they have designed two separate wings in Shanghai for 3 and Y is counter-evidence.

Some negative and positive take aways from the letter and call.

Negatives:

- FSD will take longer, and less clear what feature complete implies.
- Plaid pushed back to the end of the year (it seems).
- Not enough batteries for semi (this year?)
- Q1 might not be profitable

Positives:

- Not going to waste the perfectly good 18650 cells.
- Model Y production started already.
- First solid date for battery investor day. And it will blown our mind.
- Aiming for low profits and maximizing growth and lowering prices (Amazon growth scenario?)
- Not going to do boneheaded capital raises because we are generating more cash than we can reasonably spend.

I've had several acquaintances over the past few months tell me they are waiting for another dip before "buying back in" or increasing their stake. I never give direct advice (for a variety of reasons) but I always pointed out that another dip was hardly guaranteed and a dollar cost averaging strategy might be ideal. Much of my thought process was due to the helpful/intelligent/experienced folks here. The ones who listened are happy. :)

OK... but that (emphasis mine) is relevant to investors how?

For most of us the fact that she's rich, or will be, might be more important.

And the competition from any of the others on CNBC isn't that great

Elon definitely reads TMC/electrek etc

Whoever it was that wanted less OT a couple of weeks back is obviously Elon. He doesn't have time for the drivel most of us posts. Will you fess up Elon or will I have to go back and see who it was?

For most of us the fact that she's rich, or will be, might be more important.

And the competition from any of the others on CNBC isn't that great

Whoever it was that wanted less OT a couple of weeks back is obviously Elon. He doesn't have time for the drivel most of us posts. Will you fess up Elon or will I have to go back and see who it was?
Elon is one of the mods.

I suppose it could mean they are pursuing a flexible and configurable assembly line where they can dynamically change the mix of products. Not a new idea for the auto industry for instance see Continued Evolution of the Toyota Assembly Line | AllAboutLean.com It'd be a good idea in principal so that they could better match to future demand. Though the fact that they have designed two separate wings in Shanghai for 3 and Y is counter-evidence.

Some of it may be shared, but they specifically showed pictures of the Model Y body line in the update presentation.

I'm sure that stamping and paint are shared, maybe GA too... But I sort of suspect that Model Y is mostly all on it's own using what they learned with Model 3 and GF3...

I've had several acquaintances over the past few months tell me they are waiting for another dip before "buying back in" or increasing their stake. I never give direct advice (for a variety of reasons) but I always pointed out that another dip was hardly guaranteed and a dollar cost averaging strategy might be ideal. Much of my thought process was due to the helpful/intelligent/experienced folks here. The ones who listened are happy. :)
Unpilot mentioned his two brothers that sold out $475: Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable

Plus there were people chiming in at the low 300s through the low 500s saying they sold out and are waiting for cheaper.

It would be nice to hear if any of them bought back in. I know a rare few did after some debate.

Reactions: Nocturnal