Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Maxwell provides higher density, dry cathodes cathodes and sillion provides higher capacity anodes. Plus the Canadian company specializing in battery manufacturing equipment. This could get interesting.

Please don't mix up dry manufacturing with solid-state cells / "dry" cells. Dry manufacturing applies to both anodes and cathodes; it's about how you bind electrode particles together.

View attachment 510557

The Engineering Technician Tesla is looking to hire in Louisville, Colorado, should be familiar with silicon anode materials. We know that SilLion was acquired by a large, international tech company. We know that Tesla is looking for a hire at their approximate location, a person familiar with exactly the anode materials SilLion covers with their IP and expertise. I think we could conclude that it's very likely Tesla was the acquirer.

Silicon is already used in anodes, but in limited quantities, and it's rather finnicky; it swells a lot as a cell is charged, and tends to fracture - in particular, fracturing off of its carbon binding, which it's critical that it has a good connection to because of its poor conductivity.

However, all of the benefits I've seen in research papers from reducing or eliminating solvent in terms of binding electrode materials together probably apply just as well or better to active silicon particles as they do to graphite. In particular, dry manufacturing techniques tend to lead to electrodes that tolerate swelling much better. Instead of getting particles that are sort of "slathered" together, with binder sloppily coating the particle exteriors, you get particles that look more like they've been "hot glued" together. Little point welds, but otherwise unhindered.

If Tesla is making a hard push to increase the silicon fraction in their anodes, BTW, that would argue that they're not yet ready to go to metallic lithium anodes. But silicon is definitely more mature than metallic lithium.

With great China production, I can't image less than 100k deliveries in Q1, and I'm hoping for a record quarter. WS seems to be ignoring the data for now. I have no idea what the stock will do over the next month, but if we are below this level at the end of March, I may buy a few OTM calls with play money. If the Bosch recall of a few Model X vehicles causes a big drop this week, then I may buy some lottos as well. Otherwise, I'm going to just sit quietly and watch the SP for the next month and try not to do anything that will cost me money....

Sorry if this is just FUD but I’m hearing a report about a garage fire in Los Angeles although I can’t find anything about it on the internet.

My wife is in the news business, all I know is at least one local news reporter is following up on this story. This is the only info I have:

“Plugged in the Tesla at night...heard a pop this morning and smelled smoke...fire department isn’t saying the cause....homeowner heard it was a power surge...house built in 1968.”

Here are Charlie Munger's comments about Tesla:

Charlie Munger, on BYD and Tesla sales divergence: "BYD sales went down because the Chinese reduced incentives to the buyers of electric cars...and Tesla sales went up because Elon has convinced people he can cure cancer."​
The simplest reason is obviously Elon curing cancer.

Couldn't possibly be that Tesla is building desirable vehicles. Definitely not the product. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

For the Model X power steering recall they say we owners don't have to do anything. When the part is available in our area they will contact us.

With our S they did this when mobile service came out to replace a door handle. The tech simply had bolts in the mobile service vehicle. Asked if we wanted the recall issues (The tekada airbags) handled and the whole visit was like 30 minutes. Best service I have ever received. From scheduling thru the app for service to Tesla handling the 2 recall issues. It was an awesome service experience.

It seems to me that a lot of Tesla investors have gotten wise to these FUD stories and over time these scare tactics have becoming less and less effective. The bears have 'cried wolf' too often (am I mixing too many animal metaphors here?!) and nobody pays them as much attention anymore. They may occasionally succeed in scaring off some of the new investors, but the majority of us have seen all this before......we're in this one for the long term and we're not going anywhere! :)

The simplest reason is obviously Elon curing cancer.

Couldn't possibly be that Tesla is building desirable vehicles. Definitely not the product. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Munger and Buffet are different type of investors and they both have a very short time horizon(really old dudes)o_O .... look how long it took them to recognize AAPL... smart guys for dividends and value investing ... but they have no clue about the future :p

Reactions: AZRI11
Munger and Buffet are different type of investors and they both have a very short time horizon(really old dudes)o_O .... look how long it took them to recognize AAPL... smart guys for dividends and value investing ... but they have no clue about the future :p
I really respected and admired both of them but if alll they can do is protect their egos at this point... they too can f-off

changed my avatar out of respect for the old world men munger and buffet

Last edited:
They are conservative and value investors. I don't think they are interested in high PE company stocks. APPL PE ratio had been below 10 until recently

Reactions: gerebgraus