Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the legacy car companies, only a tiny portion of cars are produced in the US then exported to China. I think it's like 1~2%.

For Tesla, every car that sells in China has to pay the tariff. We can say down the road Tesla Shanghai will produce locally, there are potential problems. 1. High end Tesla cars would still be shipped to China and pay tariff; 2. Scale production in Shanghai probably is 9 months away.
That’s going out though, isn’t what US set only on what is coming in? China has not set a response yet. They kind of pointed their response at farmers last time. Wouldn’t they do that again?

Reactions: imherkimer
Last quarter they got worked into a frenzy because Tesla had not given any guidance. This quarter there was clear guidance: 90.000-100.000 deliveries. That should keep a lid on it.

On another note: is today Debbie Downer Day? So much negativity. We must be near the bottom.

I hear ya. I was one of them. Sheer best wishes for wanting to see this company succeed made me lose sight of the obvious fact (looking back) that there seemed to be very little North American activity. I’m not a share holder (too close too retirement) and not a Tesla owner (can’t make it work for charging reasons (long story) but I think it’s important that they succeed only from the point of view of forcing change.

Having said that, this time around I’m trying to be more analytical...but still hopeful. My wife and I promote at every opportunity. Lots of bad information out there.

So any positive catalysts coming up? Insane that we are down $150 from all time highs.

Seems to me that as soon as the stock starts to climb, in anticipation of profits later this year, it will climb steadily due to FOMO (on the cheap entry point).

Everyone can see the stock is greatly undervalued for the long term, but can also see that shorts currently have the upper hand. There’s just no point buying big today if it will be cheaper tomorrow.

So we may not have to wait till profits actually land on the table, only until there is a generally accepted belief that profits will land on the table soon. This could happen any time between now and the next profitable earnings report.

So any positive catalysts coming up? Insane that we are down $150 from all time highs.

Nope. Nothing.

Fossil OEM’s can go back to sleep.

Best if folks just hock their electric toothbrushes and short more shares, there’s no bottom. /s

It’s just sarcasm and turtles (maybe the odd whale or shark) all the way down.

BTW, did you know poodles were bred to fetch game birds from water? True dat.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
That’s going out though, isn’t what US set only on what is coming in? China has not set a response yet. They kind of pointed their response at farmers last time. Wouldn’t they do that again?

Not just farmers. Last time China raised tariff to 40% on cars from US to China. That's a major impact. In addition, some vehicle parts get hit by tariff (parts in both directions). Third one, a depressed stock market can negatively affect car demand, especially premium cars. Not predicting this cycle to happen again, but that's how Tesla can get affected when trade war gets intense.

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan
I've seen people repeating that over and over again since Q1 EC, like a mantra, yet the stock keeps falling persistently for months.

But you're right in some sense: $238 is already awfully close to $200.

Disagree. After Q1 ER, SP dropped rapidly to about these levels. Then climbed a bunch after the capital raise and then went back down after the tariffs announcement(which is where we are now). So sure, people keep saying ~230 is the bottom and then... it bounces off 230.

Uber IPO flopped, not helping the robotaxi narrative

That could be a good sign. It means that at least some are listening to Musk’s FSD strategy, and do believe that robotaxis will arrive first from the Tesla Network, not Uber.

Edit: and the timing of Autonomy Day may even have been deliberate, to avoid too much investment being misdirected to an also-ran (from Tesla’s perspective).

Last edited:
Meanwhile, this is potentially mana from silicon heaven. Could TSLA be headed to San Francisco?

U.S. regulators approve new Silicon Valley stock exchange - Reuters

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - U.S. regulators on Friday approved a new stock exchange that is the brainchild of a Silicon Valley entrepreneur, a move that will give high-growth technology companies more options to list their shares outside of the traditional New York exchanges.​

"The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission approved the creation of the Long-Term Stock Exchange, or LTSE, a Silicon Valley-based national securities exchange promoting what it says is a unique approach to governance and voting rights, while reducing short-term pressures on public companies.

"The LTSE is a bid to build a stock exchange in the country’s tech capital that appeals to hot startups, particularly those that are money-losing and want the luxury of focusing on long-term innovation even while trading in the glare of the public markets.

"The stock exchange was proposed to the SEC in November by technology entrepreneur, author and startup adviser Eric Ries, who has been working on the idea for years. He raised $19 million from venture capitalists to get his project off the ground, but approval from U.S. regulators was necessary to launch the exchange.

"Ries says the public market’s focus on short-term results leads to a decline in innovation, something LTSE wants to reverse. A 2017 study by public policy think tank Third Way showed that going public was accompanied by a 40 percent decline in patents within five years after listing, the result of pressure to satisfy analysts’ short-term expectations.

“Everyone is incentivized to make the numbers quarter to quarter,” Ries said in a recent interview with Reuters.

"The new exchange would have extra rules designed to encourage companies to focus on long-term innovation rather than the grind of quarterly earnings reports by asking companies to limit executive bonuses that award short-term accomplishments.

"It would also require more disclosure to investors about meeting key milestones and plans, and reward long-term shareholders by giving them more voting power the longer they hold the stock.

"LTSE would be the only stock exchange in California and the first in Silicon Valley since the shuttering of the Pacific Exchange in San Francisco at the end of the dot-com boom. It remains to be seen how well it would compete with the larger and better-resourced New York Stock Exchange and Nasdaq, which often court tech companies with fanfare to persuade them to list.

"Ries said LTSE would allow companies to dual-list their stock on other exchanges. He added that a number of technology companies and a mix of foreign and U.S. investors and asset managers had signed letters of intent to participate in the exchange, but declined to provide further details."

Last edited:
Yes, lots, but not next week. The stock doesn't always move based upon big catalysts. Take a look at the big run that started in December 2016 after a long drop over several months. I don't think there was any big catalyst news-wise. It just got going. I think we later found out Tencent was doing some buying at that time. At the time, it just seemed like it was finally starting to climb again. The way TSLA trades has a lot to do with the distribution of the stock. It has been moving, like a freight train, down for many months. Even when it's ready to bottom, it takes a little time to stop the momentum. As far as I can tell, most of what is going on with the stock now is related to shorts and traders. It's lower volume stuff. Short interest is wayyyy back up. It won't stay there. Lots of "weak" shorts playing the momentum at this point. The stock needs a solid nudge upwards to start the process of shorts covering, reinforcing the climb. Once it breaks above the downward channel, that will happen in an amplified fashion. We could drop further still before that happens, who knows. The technical pattern is there, waiting to support a climb, the stock just needs a good nudge. We can see that most who are going to sell or short have done so. There is now a scarcity of others ready to sell or short, barring a macro collapse. There is definitely not a scarcity of buyers if the stock shows signs of life. Something will provide that, but we can't predict what it will be. It's very possible that it's not going to be the obvious thing. News/stock support has a way of being there when the market is ready for the stock to climb.

Before selling TSLA, always remember or review the interview with Cathy Woods of ARK investments. She said the pattern of disruptive companies is volatile, bigly, up and down. Then they crash. Alternatively, if they're not going to fail over a few years, then everyone realizes they are the real deal and then zoom!! TSLA is their surest bet and highest percent of their exposure, ten percent. FWIW, mine is 40%. (Slightly smaller no. of shares.:()

I really do not believe Tesla is going to fail. Cathy's target is $4,000 for the stock in five years, or at least $750 or so in worst case.

Last edited:
So I listened to the Panasonic stream and the the initial transcription was overall good but I think it misses some key things in the beginning that add a little more clarity, I've edited the initial transcription to what the translator says word for word for the most part in the beginning.

"35 gWh initial investment has been completed already and as for the operating rate or the utilization rate as was mentioned by Elon is maybe 24 gWh currently. And this year we want to increase this (utilization) rather significantly.

One is including the lines that have yet to start we have 3 fast/higher speed lines and when they become operational we will see improved efficiency. And when we shifted from (some number that sounds like 68500 at the 34:10 mark) to others we were not really able do sufficient verification of the facilities and we saw disruptions (problems) and we (now) know the reasons and so in June we will start replacing the jigs, and therefore the number of cells and the yield will improve quite a bit.

And through localization of the workforce, which would mean we will have fewer Japanese expats and that is progressing. We will have more number of lines that can be operated only by local personnel and this can reduce the fixed costs. And of course, the demand from Tesla is going to be good enough for the full capacity, that is the assumption. If that assumption holds than the Tesla battery business can break even this year (for Panasonic).

As per demand, we need to clearly identify how much Model 3 demand will increase (moving forward). As per Model X (and S), last quarter, we saw decline but Tesla is already taking actions to revamp that demand; and we're talking with Tesla on this and there is upside potential there."
Thanks for improving the transcript. IMHO he actually said 18650 and the translator scrambled the digits. I heard 681500, but she lowers her voice so I can't be sure. Anyway, my overall read is:

1. Summer 2018 - 10 lines @ 300k cells/line/day. 19.7 GWh peak output, 17-18 GWh sustained.
2. Late 2018/early 2019 - installed 3 new lines @ 400k cells/day each. 27.6 GWh/year peak rated output.
3. Today - at least one of the new lines is not operational, the others are struggling. Actual peak output ~24 GWh.
4. June - new "jig" installation begins. This will fix 400k cell/day lines and upgrade the 300k lines to 400k.
5. Later in 2019 - all 13 lines @ 400k cells/day = 5.2m cells/day. 34.2 GWh peak output.

Stage 1 was enough for Q3's 53k LRs and Q4's 61k MR/LR mix, but Energy Storage had to wait until the new 400k lines started to go live in late 2018. Panasonic won't install more lines until Model Y launches. I personally doubt they will even then unless they get a better contract.

No word on shifting S/X cell production to the US as had previously been reported in the Japanese press.

Thanks for improving the transcript. IMHO he actually said 18650 and the translator scrambled the digits. I heard 681500, but she lowers her voice so I can't be sure. Anyway, my overall read is:

I want to say she ment to say 18650 because of the commonalities in the numbers she said but she entirely botches the number and lowers her voice so its impossible to know. It still makes no sense in the context since there is no 18650 cell production currently underway in Nevada