Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does that work in practice? How can a group of investors- who want the sp to go down - make it go down by such a great number? It cannot be done by an article here and there in my opinion.
Much of it is dumping a big chunk of shares, knowing that your short position will more than make up for the loss.

Last edited by a moderator:
How does that work in practice? How can a group of investors- who want the sp to go down - make it go down by such a great number? It cannot be done by an article here and there in my opinion.

Good question.

Look at ihors3 his charts, Ihor Dusaniwsky (@ihors3) | Twitter:

D7Bq4JEXYAAptxb.jpg:large.jpeg

Around and after April 23, 3 million shares were sold short while breaking the $250 barrier, then another 3 million to keep it below that.

That's around 6 million shares * ~$220 = 1.3 billion of extra shares that needs to be bought up by the market, under a tsunami of negative headlines.

Selling short combined with the `` 'investors' concerned " headlines can effectively scare investors away, trigger stop-losses etc, as we see.

So far we have heard nothing from Tesla regarding the share price drop. Their for guidance for Q2 is 90K-100K deliveries.
I read stories about demand issues and see expectations more in 70K-80K region which is about 20% off

If Tesla knows that they can't make their guidance, aren't they obliged to warn investors beforehand?

Thanks, learned something today

Realistically at this point, given how much control Wall St can do on this stock with their coordination, the only thing I see truly breaking their grip a massive stake taken by an investor that independent from the Wall St inner circle. Whether that's a big time investor like Ellison dramatically upping his stake or an a company like Apple, Amazon, etc... taking a 7-10% stake. Wall St is flat out saying we're not going to let this stock be fairly evaluated. Tesla could announce 95k or 100k deliveries for Q2 and sure the stock would jump.....but it would be jumping from a 190-200 level and even then they'd probably do everything they can to cap it at like 250/share...….even though deliveries of 95k would be an all time high for any quarter in Tesla's history.

(This is a new CR article reviewing the new “automatic lane change without intervention” option)
My comment posted just now to the CR article:

I am a long time CR subscriber and supporter, and urge you to consider my comments as constructive.

Nuance is sorely missing from your article. Your absolutely helpful criticisms of this new optional feature of Tesla Autopilot are couched as criticisms of the overall safety of AP. You could have said “Tesla’s AP is a great feature that can save lives when used responsibly. We recommend that you use it, but avoid this latest optional feature until it is further improved”. Instead many will believe you are saying that Tesla’s AP is unsafe to use in general. Is that your intent? The data show that drivers using Tesla AP are statistically safer, and that therefore its use is saving lives right now.

So far we have heard nothing from Tesla regarding the share price drop. Their for guidance for Q2 is 90K-100K deliveries.
I read stories about demand issues and see expectations more in 70K-80K region which is about 20% off

If Tesla knows that they can't make their guidance, aren't they obliged to warn investors beforehand?

Don’t know whether that’s an SEC requirement, but you do know what will happen if Musk did that? Same exact thing that happened in Q1: First, a huge drop when he mentions that. Second, another huge drop when the numbers are actually released. Nothing ever is baked into SP with TSLA. Better with just one drop, then two, right?

• Funny
Reactions: WarpedOne
Buying a stock to force a short squeeze or to help the stock to move up, is the wrong way to think about investment.

Investors should always look at the company, the stock, and their account objectively. The main goal should be making money without too much risk. Only big money can make a difference.

My objectives evidently go beyond yours. Yes, we all struggle to make money; doing so while being useful and making a positive contribution and not making the world a worse place is the real trick.

I’m after multiple objectives that include but go beyond making money and are also quite positive in themselves by buying and holding TSLA.

For some of us, our perception of risk may differ from yours because we are estimating this risk in the context of profound global dangers and unprecedented technological opportunities.

Last edited:
Tesla could select one city, do a lot of work in this city to see what's the real demand after the public is fully aware of Tesla cars.

For this city only: offer a lot of test drives; offer convenient Tesla rentals; provide Model 3 to Uber/Lyft drivers at low lease rate and ask them to provide feedback in return, give them referral awards; help local companies to set up charging facilities on their parking lots; build more superchargers in this city; engage with local Tesla clubs; do seminars to explain the pros and cons of EV; address all the concerns...

Anyway, the goal is to make a lot of people experience the car and understand everything about it. Then see what percentage of new car purchase will go to Tesla. This effort will not cost too much, most of the cost will be rewarded by increased demand. If the outcome is great, Tesla could better prepare future production, also the investment world would believe the potential demand is there.

Last edited:
Don’t know whether that’s an SEC requirement with Tesla’s specific situation, but you do know what will happen if Musk did that? Same exact thing that happened in Q1: First, a huge drop when he mentions that. Second, another huge drop when the numbers are actually released. Nothing ever is baked into SP with TSLA. Better with just one drop, then two, right?

Realize that Tesla won't comment on day to day gyrations of a stock. Most companies do not. A different standard shouldn't be held here.

Also, for those who care. Tune out the noise and get back to basics. Take a look at this fair analysis along with criticism. It is a little bit old, but the gap between this value and current market values are the sentiment that drives projections/hypothesis.

I see a ton of good stuff on the way.

- GF3 and 2 operation ramps
- Energy finally playing a significant role (this is a question of when not if)
- Cap raise recently injected Tesla so the company can focus on core operations
- Borderline crazy cost controls
- Demand drivers for Model 3 and then next year Model Y
- Pent up demand for refresh products

Musings on Markets: Twists and Turns in the Tesla Story : A Boring, Boneheaded Update!

Last edited:
My objectives evidently go beyond yours. Yes, we all struggle to make money; doing so while being useful and making a positive contribution and not making the world a worse place is the real trick.

I’m after multiple objectives that go beyond making money and are also quite positive in themselves by buying and holding TSLA.

Heh. What you just wrote reminds me of a comment I heard from grad school.
If making money is not all of your top priorities when investing your money, you’re putting your reaources in the wrong place. The market doesn’t really care whether a company is saving the planet. It only cares whether the company is making money. If it saves the planet while doing so, then that’s great. But, not necessary. Tesla is not a non-profit. It’s a public company with investors it needs to respond to. If you can’t align yourself with the market, you aren’t making money like you should.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Thumper and X Fan
I’m after multiple objectives that go beyond making money and are also quite positive in themselves by buying and holding TSLA.

For some of us, our perception of risk may differ from yours because we are estimating this risk in the context of profound global dangers and unprecedented technological opportunities.[/QUOTE]

How does you owning their stock help their mission (unless you bought at IPO or during an offering)? I get how buying their products helps.

Yeah, we are now in 2013 territory, when they were only making a few Model S vehicles and nobody believed they would sell more than 20,000 cars/year. No Gigafactory, No Model X, no Model 3, no Y in development, no China Factory, no $25+ Billion in annual Revenue, no NY factory, no large Supercharger network, No 400,000+ cars in annual sales, No Autopilot and self driving around the corner, etc. It is so oversold it is comical. The question is how much lower can they push it before it snaps back hard?!?