Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The

And according to TSLAQ (who are funding Hothi and therefore very well informed) he will now counter sue Tesla for malicious prosecution.

And then that would be an ideal time for Tesla to release the video evidence. This time they can release it as “protection” since they were willing to drop the initial lawsuit. This could still play into Teslas hands. But that is wishful thinking.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
So where's the news here? This role could relate to checking the quality of incoming Panasonic cells at GF1:
Telsa is hiring staff to test battery cells at GF1/Sparks, jobs are with Tesla not Panasonic.
I don't think it necessarily implies Maxcells.
Yes, we don't need to infer that, because its not stated anywhere in the job posting. However, the switchover to DBE manufacturing technology (when it comes) will be eased by Tesla controlling the cell-making process. The end of that procurement chain is 'cell testing'.

To quote Drew, "we're taking all the moves required to be masters of our own destiny here". This is the 1st posting Tesla for battery cell jobs at GF1/Sparks, which is what I'd expect during the transition of Tesla to being its own battery cell supplier.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Telsa is hiring staff to test battery cells at GF1/Sparks, jobs are with Tesla not Panasonic.
Tesla would do its' own cell testing independent of Panasonic. They're not going to just "trust" Panasonic on cell quality. Tesla procures additional cells from other companies so they need to test those cells as well.

Last edited:
Tesla drops the request for the restraining order against Hothi because it does not want to provide video evidence as it was instructed to do. Not a good look for the strength of their original case.

Tesla drops request for restraining order against allegedly dangerous short seller – TechCrunch

I took it as "our employees were saying some things in the recordings that would be embarressing to them to release".
i.e.- the guys in the car were talking sugar about wanting to kill the jerk if they could get their hands on him.

I have the same feeling, being on the ground of GF3 would have much stronger psychological impact on your investment thesis than watching YouTube videos.
I was being flippant. To be honest i think retail share ownership is probably correlated with exposure to Tesla and desire for sustainability. GF3 will have some impact but it's more likely that the Chinese will buy in force once Tesla is pumping out vehicles and the general public there has a reason to investigate and understand the company.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Weekend conspiracy theory....

We know that Tesla has invested like crazy on the product, factory and tech which drives near term revenue by producing a very nice product with margin.

We also know that Tesla has been underinvesting in certain aspects of the company (to the extent that posts on it are no longer allowed) which could hurt its long term success.

Tesla also has the cash to remedy said deficiencies but has been slow, much to the dismay of certain members.

We also know that EM is very smart (understatement), good with numbers, tech, and strategy. He’s not a people person (also understatement), but that has nothing to do with the deficient areas.

So why underinvest? Perhaps he has a very good reason.

What if Tesla might be able to get onto the s&p 500, by cutting expenses in certain areas? The resulting inclusion in indexes and prestige would totally be worth the short term pain.

How likely is that?

How big would that be?

Although it’s a long shot, would s&p inclusion and commensurate profits change everything overnight?

I am convinced Tesla needs to make the service 20% gross margin to actually improve the service quality. The reason is quite simple: as a cash starved company, internal resources including human resources are tightly controlled by the finance department. Since the service department is a loss center at this moment, their resources needs would be constantly ignored/rejected. With record sales, the service demand is increasing much faster than the new resources allocated. So what we observe is the deterioration of the service quality, not improvement in Elon's mind.

Wow, this is a service fail...

I used the APP last month to schedule service at the Charlotte service center for my newer X while in NC. As you stated, I also checked and now I'm only able to schedule mobile service. I presume they're using mobile similar to a level 1 help desk who then determines if your vehicle should be escalated to the service center (level 2).

Delays, delays, delays...sigh.....

We also know that EM is very smart (understatement), good with numbers, tech, and strategy. He’s not a people person (also understatement), but that has nothing to do with the deficient areas.

So why underinvest? Perhaps he has a very good reason.

The thing is, "underinvestment" has to happen systematically during the whole quarter to keep opex down - while the question of whether $250m+ GAAP profits are realistic becomes clear only at the very end of the quarter. So there's a time frame mismatch.

Secondly, many "investments" are capex, they don't immediately affect GAAP income.

I think we should use @EVNow's and @luvb2b's estimates of -$300m to -$400m GAAP losses to set our expectations, and hope for good cash flow and improving margins.

What if Tesla might be able to get onto the s&p 500, by cutting expenses in certain areas? The resulting inclusion in indexes and prestige would totally be worth the short term pain.

How likely is that?

How big would that be?

giphy.webp

:D

I am convinced Tesla needs to make the service 20% gross margin to actually improve the service quality. The reason is quite simple: as a cash starved company, internal resources including human resources are tightly controlled by the finance department. Since the service department is a loss center at this moment, their resources needs would be constantly ignored/rejected. With record sales, the service demand is increasing much faster than the new resources allocated. So what we observe is the deterioration of the service quality, not improvement in Elon's mind.

While the majority of cars are under warranty, service cannot have positive gross margin. If they were dealerships, then the OEM would pay for the warranty work, but Tesla is one balance sheet. Only when serivce is doing repairs Tesla isn't paying for do they even have income.

Previous revenue activities are annual service (maybe every 2 years) and tires (if people don't use a chain store). Thus a reason to get into accident repair/ bumper cover replacement since insurance pays (untill Tesla is the insurance provider, but then they theoretically get the premiums to offset the costs).

China may be entering recession. CEO of Stora Enso (We are the renewable materials company! )said, that China has cut buying pulp 7% this year and at the same time cut buying recycle paper. Traditionally china's pulp usage has very closely followed its GDP growth. There has been suspicion, that China is manipulating its GDP figures and this is another indicator of it.

Very interesting. Link or source?

• Helpful
Reactions: Fact Checking
The thing is, "underinvestment" has to happen systematically during the whole quarter to keep opex down - while the question of whether $250m+ GAAP profits are realistic becomes clear only at the very end of the quarter. So there's a time frame mismatch.

Secondly, many "investments" are capex, they don't immediately affect GAAP income.

I think we should use @EVNow's and @luvb2b's estimates of -$300m to -$400m GAAP losses to set our expectations, and hope for good cash flow and improving margins.

giphy.webp

:D

I was thinking underinvestment for 12 mos. He wouldn’t have genius level creds if he only reacted q2q. He has insight into future vehicle production, demand to a lesser degree, but delivery issues are hard to predict. What didn't happen in q1 just gets deferred to q2, so if he was planning 2 or 3 qs ahead....

I’m not holding my breath, but a little daydreaming can’t be more off topic than catavars.

Btw, why can’t I see the image?