Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe Panasonic could incorporate 'some' of the new tech in their current production lines but the main focus of Battery Day from what I gather is the news Tesla will be producing their own cells. Speculation suggests the changes in tech are significant- new chemistry & production techniques, new cell form (tabless), maybe new cell size. I think to make these new cells, production facilities must be built from the ground up.

After re-watching (paying more attention to) Jordan Gessity's (sp?) final video on battery day I feel that I am wrong and that it is likely Panasonic can incorporate some of the important advances Battery Day will reveal (as @Runarbt suggested.) Not the Maxwell dry tech but the chemistry changes that in part allow for the million mile battery.

In this chart he shows under 'Legacy', the changes Panasonic can make to their cells:

upload_2020-5-29_11-41-13.png

It is pretty exciting that by the time Battery Day occurs, current models may already come with the advances as some here have suggested. Maybe this is a reason for the many delays- Tesla needs the time for Panasonic to do the switchover.

The thing we've seen over and over is that the "Tesla Fighters" coming in 2024/2025 will be competing with today's Teslas. I don't pay all that much attention to the competition, but something like the iPace would have competed very well with my 2012 Model S. If the Germans had started being serious in 2015, would they have had a cast rear body today? The Octovalve or Superbottle or their own custom chips for self-driving? Maybe, maybe not. In any case at best (for the Germans) Tesla is a moving target. 2025 will come and go and there still won't be a viable competitor for the Tesla vehicle spectrum. (I say that last bit because you might argue that the Taycant competes with the Model S.)

From what I read, this article seemed remarkably fair about all that. It even pointed out that the Audi eTron is less efficient than a 2012 Model S.

• Informative
Reactions: GOVA
LOL i can see everything dropping in real time as he speaks
As suspected, non-event.
Withdrawal from the WTO
Investigate Chinese public companies
Safeguard universities to prevent loss of IP
Revoking Hong Kong's status and privilege
Sanction on Chinese officials
Nothing to see here folks. No cold/real war today.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
It wouldn't have to pay a 10% tariff importing cars from either the EU or US.

Honda is exiting.

Tesla would compete head on with

Toyota
Nissan
Vauxhall(Peugeot owned)
Jaguar Land Rover
Mini Rolls Royce (BMW owned)

Everyone else would pay a 10% import tax.

I suppose you could supply UK Norway Iceland from GF UK and rest of Europe from GF Berlin.

GF could assemble the cars, but focus on Utilities. Wasn't there news like Tesla applied to be Utility provider in UK few weeks back?

LOL i can see everything dropping in real time as he speaks
As suspected, non-event.
Withdrawal from the WTO
Investigate Chinese public companies
Safeguard universities to prevent loss of IP
Revoking Hong Kong's status and privilege
Sanction on Chinese officials
Nothing to see here folks. No cold/real war today.

LoL WW3 averted, we live to see another day.

Reactions: phantasms
View attachment 545957

Pretty crowed on Wednesday for the SpaceX launch.

Will Saturday be even more crowded?

It's this type of behavior that will get us back into Covid Hell again. So many places to see the launch. You can literally park anywhere on your way to Titusville to see the launch.

But this is the era we live in. Wife had a pt yesterday who refuse to wear a mask during his exam because he does not believe in the virus and think it's fake news. Thanks bro as you get half a ft away from my wife's face during the eye exam.

It wouldn't have to pay a 10% tariff importing cars from either the EU or US.

Honda is exiting.

Tesla would compete head on with

Toyota
Nissan
Vauxhall(Peugeot owned)
Jaguar Land Rover
Mini Rolls Royce (BMW owned)

Everyone else would pay a 10% import tax.

I suppose you could supply UK Norway Iceland from GF UK and rest of Europe from GF Berlin.

Would the market in UK, Norway and Iceland be big enough to justify its own factory? I rather doubt it. Norway and Iceland are tiny - even with a high EV %.. so it will be up to UK to buy all those cars.

... well, maybe?

Edit:

Seem like UK car market is aprox. 1.5 million a year. 25% Tesla market share (like in Norway some months) - and they could buy 3-400.000 Teslas. I guess Norway and Iceland can buy the rest of the cars. ;-)
Ref: Car Registrations

Bring it!

Reactions: Captkerosene
upload_2020-5-29_12-9-10.png

Courtesy of Labpadre.
I think you may be looking at that lil dip in the share price right about then.

Edit: Or not. Looks like the Nasdaq took a dive at around the same time. Honostly, I've never seen a spaceX event, positive or negative, affect TSLA share price much. SpaceX blows stuff up all the time. (Every single Starship so far). Unfortunate that this comes a day before first SpaceX manned launch though. You can be sure that the press is going to be making a big deal about it once MSM gets wind of it.

Last edited:
Would the market in UK, Norway and Iceland be big enough to justify its own factory? I rather doubt it. Norway and Iceland are tiny - even with a high EV %.. so it will be up to UK to buy all those cars.

UK buys 2.2M-2.5M cars per year.

I think Mode 3/Y can sell 400k plus vehicles per year in the UK with a 10% price advantage vs the Germans-French-Italians. If UK remains part of Common Market for Automotive then Tesla just doubles capacity for Common Market.

Tesla sold 16k cars in Norway last year without Model Y.

I guess Tesla UK could export to RHD countries Japan,Australia,New Zealand and if/when Tesla enters South Africa/India.