Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Power of Story

Much has made of the dearth of critical analysis in this particular thread. I do not in any way, wish take anything from from the strong analysis that has long been a cornerstone of this thread. There are many contributors, whose education, training, and skills, that bring me to awe.

However, to build a worldwide car company from the ground up, requires exponentially greater resources and funding, than would ever be deemed reasonable under the quarter to quarter expectations of Wall Street. Very often so-called experts (Jim Cramer) have derisively referred to Tesla as a story stock.

Indeed. Tesla is a story stock. One helluva story.

Lucid, reasoned analysis should always remain a central and important part of TMC. Story does not preclude analysis, nor does analysis preclude story.

So, let’s sit around the campfire and tell amazing stories; and by all means bring your evidence and data. You are welcome.
Unfortunately, it only takes once or twice to create a thought , then have someone else delete that thought to make you not want to put in the effort. I am not one of those 'high quality' posters, but I have watched them get into this community only to be stung. I have been on forums longer than many people here have been alive. I do not see the need for the level of censorship here.

Priuschat was a huge forum. And there were moderation wars. But there was ONE TOPIC not allowed, and it tore the community apart. You were NEVER allowed to post any Prius accidents. Really. Safety discussions were hard to have and a lot of people left. Not sure how it ended up, other then content quality went down too.

So look, if there is a troll, delete them. But you don't have to scrub everyones responses to them. It's that important.

This one is pretty well known, Elon's stated his position on this years ago. He said SpaceX will NOT go public before they are doing routine flights between Earth and Mars (it's too risky during development, and he doesn't want to lose other people's money).

The reason they WILL go public is if they need capital to finance the City on Mars. Elon said that is his only reason for accumulating personal wealth, and he could well be the world's first trillionaire by the time the last tranch of his Tesla CEO compensation package vests.

That's only 1 trillion, which won't pay for a city on Mars (think 'Order of Magnitude' more costly). Hence, that was the motivation for the original position of taking SpaceX public.

However, I don't think he'll need too. 2 words: Asteroid Mining.

NASA Will Reach Unique Metal Asteroid Worth $10,000 Quadrillion Four Years Early

Think of Starship with a Boring Company TBM in its belly as a cosmic piggy bank, waiting to boldly go into its autonomous asteroid mining future.

Cheers!

Phew thank goodness I binged The Expanse recently. Now I know what’s coming.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough to make a completely covered call. Missing about 1/4th of the shares needed, and far, far to little cash. Also, my tax status is juuuuuuust at over one year for only a tiny handful of my shares, which is also the amount of shares I currently have a sell order for, haha. :p The others I'm waiting for them to mature over that one year mark before I touch them.
OT
As an excercise, have you plotted the price of a Model S over the years? Is the pace of price cuts putting you a a trajectory to be able to buy that Model S with your current budget/timeline? (TSLA growth factored in)? Enjoy the Ride! :D

Still not sure why we haven't heard anything about this in a while, nor the location of the next U.S. factory

It would pre-empt any 'TeraTexas' news, the two are intimately related. And a deal w. Texas may not be finalized yet. Don't want to put the oxcart before the donkey, so to speak. ;)

I beginning sense I might be rich. I just thought I should clean up...a tad.
I think I speak for most everyone here when I say, "WE MISS THE BEARD ALREADY!"

Surprised the volume has neatly dropped off since this morning, but the price action has been roughly stagnant since around an hour after opening.

Yeah, I'm being to wonder if this is what BEING IN THE S&P 500 feels like? :D

Cheers!

Last edited:
OT
As an excercise, have you plotted the price of a Model S over the years? Is the pace of price cuts putting you a a trajectory to be able to buy that Model S with your current budget/timeline? (TSLA growth factored in)? Enjoy the Ride! :D

I actually have a pretty detailed spreadsheet that tracks my purchase price, my expected tax cost, the model S I'm currently eying (new and, separate, used), the tax of that cost, loan amount, interest rate and overall cost, as well as the shares I have in the "past 1 year" category, and their current sell order amount, which is currently tiered up to $1,420.69. ;) Not that I expect those amounts, but if I sell before October, those are the prices I've set for it, haha. I've been a bit obsessive about it. It's never been a matter of "if" I'd get my Tesla Model S at my next duty station in October, but what year and what options will that Tesla have. I had expected to get a nice deposit on a used Model S, but with the recent price action and the cost reduction (even with the loss of Super Charging) that has geared more towards new instead. :eek: Anything beyond current SP will just mean I can keep some of my shares after the culling for the purchase, and get to enjoy where they go from October onto a undoubtedly profitable Q4.

Surprised the volume has neatly dropped off since this morning, but the price action has been roughly stagnant since around an hour after opening. About plus or minus 5 dollars of 880. I'd think there would be more volume to cap.

This is a good day to brag about my options play. I kid you not, my IRA account consisting of call options (mostly Jan '20 and some Jan '21) that were deep under water one year ago on May 31, 2019 was at $39K.

Today, and without having added any funds to the account since, this account has passed the one million dollar mark!

It feels particularly good because a year ago I was publicly ridiculed by TSLAQ on twitter as an example of this dumb guy who blew all his retirement savings on TSLA. I actually had to delete my twitter account because of the nasty comments.

Who is laughing now?

Congrats to everyone who kept the faith in this company and its amazing leader Elon Musk!

This is a good day to brag about my options play. I kid you not, my IRA account consisting of call options (mostly Jan '20 and some Jan '21) that were deep under water one year ago on May 31, 2019 was at $39K. Today, and without having added any funds to the account since, this account has passed the one million dollar mark!

It feels particularly good because a year ago I was publicly ridiculed by TSLAQ on twitter as an example of this dumb guy who blew all his retirement savings on TSLA. I actually had to delete my twitter account because of the nasty comments.

Who is laughing now?

Congrats to everyone who kept the faith in this company and its amazing leader Elon Musk!

I remember your plight. Remember suggesting to shuffle some stuff around, but not to close.
Congrats!!

"Battery Day people. Wait until Battery Day. It's gonna blow your mind. It blows my mind, and I know it!" said Elon Musk during the latest Tesla earnings call.

Battery Day will be emceed by Elon Musk — with the credibility and gravitas — that comes from launching American astronauts into outer space and safely delivering them to the International Space Station. The market is only beginning to fully understand the implications and magnitude of the combination of these two events.

I wish all the longs, the good fortune, richly deserved for their vision and judgement.

This is a good day to brag about my options play. I kid you not, my IRA account consisting of call options (mostly Jan '20 and some Jan '21) that were deep under water one year ago on May 31, 2019 was at $39K.

Today, and without having added any funds to the account since, this account has passed the one million dollar mark!

Who is laughing now?

Congrats! I hit a similar milestone back in February when we blew through 900 the first time. I quickly gave back about half of it over the next few weeks because I got too greedy. I hope you took some profits today, or are at least not over-leveraged like I was.

I sold some calls today at a nice profit :)

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger

Who is laughing now?

I'm laughing. Very similar but I froze, could not sell it at ten cents to the dollar.
Put tent and sleeping bag in car. In case the wife found out.
If the calls had been one or two months shorter, I'd be single now.

Jan 2020 350 LEAPS

Congrats! I hit a similar milestone back in February when we blew through 900 the first time. I quickly gave back about half of it over the next few weeks because I got too greedy. I hope you took some profits today, or are at least not over-leveraged like I was.

I sold some calls today at a nice profit :)

Today I'm 50/50 in shares and call options in the account. I don't need to take profit, as this is a retirement account. The goal is maximizing total account value.

What helped me was moving to all-cash by end of February when TSLA went down below $700 level. I sat on cash for a few weeks and then slowly went back adding $400 Jan '22 calls when stock started to climb again. I stuck to that strategy mainly because of ARK Invest firmly believing in a V-shaped recovery.