Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another full lockdown is unlikely unless things get real bad. You might see rollbacks of dine-in eating, gyms, etc., and increased enforcement of mask wearing, but I think the days of another total shelter-in-place are gone and never coming back.

There will be another pandemic for sure, so I wouldn't say never... But agree with your point that no more lockdowns for covid-19.

• Disagree
Reactions: Don TLR
Another full lockdown is unlikely unless things get real bad. You might see rollbacks of dine-in eating, gyms, etc., and increased enforcement of mask wearing, but I think the days of another total shelter-in-place are gone and never coming back.

Or Elon should just enable V2G via software update. All of a sudden every car becomes a back up generator which makes it an essential business.

Since we're in OT hours on the stock market, I would just point out that mortality rate continues to drop and is about to drop below the rate of .05 At the beginning of June it was above .06 and back in May was .2 and April .25, and in March was .3

Hospitalizations have risen but nowhere near capacity limits except in a couple select areas

My post is not a reflection of cost of human life or anything of the such. And we will have a 2nd wave(or really already started since some states were so carefree about reopening). But the data doesn't back up going to Phase 1 lockdown again. Worse I see is pulling all the states back to Phase 2 again.

I did a JDP survey a few months after I got my TM3 in 2018. I recall it asking (paraphrased) if I had to have service done on my vehicle. Well I did. I had condensation in one taillight. It didn't bother me, but as I showed the car off to others, everyone asked about the condensation. I put ranger service to test and they replaced my taillight and then everything was fine. Easiest service ever. However, to be honest with the JDP questionnaire, I did have to answer YES to the question.

Now, if I had an ICE vehicle, all I would have done is mentioned it at my first oil change and a few months later when JDP surveyed me I'd likely have completely forgotten about the repair and likely would have answered NO to the question.

Point is, a lot of minor warranty defects likely get fixed at the first oil change on an ICE and because they didn't require a separate service visit, aren't worth answering affirmative to in a JDP questionnaire, or likely even remembered at the time of the survey. Conversely, since Teslas don't need regular visits to the shop, even the most minor fix is a service visit. These are memorable and will be answered in the affirmative. This paints Teslas in a more negative light than other cars as more minor defects will be noted in the surveys.

FWIW - I'd far rather have ranger visits for repairs and no oil changes! Sad that this isn't reflected in their surveys.

Except the cars physically can't do V2G, so there's that.

Or did you miss where the idea they could got debunked?
It CAN be a strategy Elon implemented after the first shut down to prevent further shut downs. I have a feeling he has a contingency plan in case there's a short raid wanting them to close again. It's not like they don't know how to do V2G.

I mean if I were him, I would work on V2G and roll them into the production line for all new cars pumped out. It doesn't matter if our old cars could do it or not.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Yeah and I had 4 replacement drive units in my 2013 P85 - didn't cost me anything other than the time to go to-and-from the Service Centre.

With my 2017 XP100DL+ I've had no issues at all with drive units.

That's how it goes with Tesla. If media trolls can't comprehend this then they're not qualified to write about it.

P.S. I loved that P85 so, so much, I miss it still, all that RWD *power* was just, well, mental!

I have a 2013 Model S. My MCU1 failed in late 2018, outside of warranty. Replacement was $2500. I requested MCU2 at that time and was given another MCU1, which has shown some boot issues already. It is irritating to pay for a replacement that has the same issue, especially with a known issue that could be improved by a software change.

I've had more shop time with my Tesla than any other car I've owned. However, it remains my favorite car and my next car will be another Tesla. Service has usually been great to me and I'm still a very satisfied owner.

But, the MCU1 failures and the battery software limiting without owner permission are two instances where I think Tesla may not be doing the right thing.

Yes. A survey they've been doing for like 35 years was all an elaborate TSLAQ plot. THAT totally makes sense!

Jesus **** people- I dislike shorts as much as you- but there is sometimes legit bad news about Tesla

Again- this isn't a huge deal in context- it's total # of reported issues of ALL kinds, not sorted by severity. So it doesn't at all contradict the "most satisfied owners" surveys- it's supplimental to it.

DESPITE having more niggling issues than other brands owners still are MORE satisfied with the overall vehicle experience.

That is, in net, FANTASTIC news for Tesla.

But it doesn't change the fact those niggling issues exist.

Nor does pretending this is some kinda shilling thing, or ignoring how stats and surveys work, change that.
JD Power is paid for by legacy auto. Pay for play isn't an independent analysis. This study wasn't done for free.

JD Power is paid for by legacy auto. Pay for play isn't an independent analysis. This study wasn't done for free.

While Tesla has actual quality problems they need to address there’s some truth in this.

JD Power’s primary automotive business is not what we’re seeing here, it is the in-depth research they sell back to automakers to improve features and customer satisfaction.

I was once privy to this information and it’s not a customer-facing product. The press release is just brand building and of course the option to sell the coveted “Number One in Initial Quality!” awards for advertising.

But IQD and VDS are for automakers, not to end users, and the studies are set up to sell consulting back to these companies.

Tesla of course has no interest in buying these studies or consulting arrangements (for better or worse) so they have little incentive to play the JDP game. They do need to work on their fit and finish but JDP is trying to help Ford make Bluetooth easier to pair, not help end users choose a more reliable automobile.

While Tesla has actual quality problems they need to address there’s some truth in this.

JD Power’s primary automotive business is not what we’re seeing here, it is the in-depth research they sell back to automakers to improve features and customer satisfaction.

I was once privy to this information and it’s not a customer-facing product. The press release is just brand building and of course the option to sell the coveted “Number One in Initial Quality!” awards for advertising.

But IQD and VDS are for automakers, not to end users, and the studies are set up to sell consulting back to these companies.

Tesla of course has no interest in buying these studies or consulting arrangements (for better or worse) so they have little incentive to play the JDP game. They do need to work on their fit and finish but JDP is trying to help Ford make Bluetooth easier to pair, not help end users choose a more reliable automobile.
This was coordinated a coordinated attack today. Whenever Chanos mentions he's short TSLA you know the hit pieces are just around the corner. JD isn't independent, it's very survival is in jeopardy as legacy auto looks to make deep budget cuts. Listen to Sandy Munro, his buisness is struggling because legacy is axing consultants.

Last edited:
Unifor,as opposed to the UAW, has decided to accept the future.

upload_2020-6-24_17-11-10.png

It CAN be a strategy Elon implemented after the first shut down to prevent further shut downs.

It can't though because it'd require changing parts on the car with physically different parts- a fact not supported by the parts catalog or any other evidence- and certainly not something they could've magically gotten tens of thousands of "new" parts for during the shutdown.

I mean if I were him, I would work on V2G and roll them into the production line for all new cars pumped out. It doesn't matter if our old cars could do it or not.

it's entirely possible they will do that for cars with the million mile batteries... but those aren't in production vehicles yet either. Makes a lot less sense for the current batteries- too many cycles wasted.

I mean, it was though.

Car makers do not "fund" the study.

They buy the detailed results- because the data is very useful for them. This has already been explained.

But nobody "pays for a good score" here.

EVERYBODY gets the SAME survey- regardless of what car they bought from what brand.

Then JD Power compiles and reports the results.

I still can't figure out why you guys keep making up imaginary biases to try and dismiss facts.

It's just as bad as the people on the TSLAQ side making up imaginary conspiracies about how Elon is a fraud, and it's insulting to anyone interested in fact-based discussion.

If the data produced here was NOT valid and useful- why would CAR COMPANIES BUY IT?

According to JD Power the Chevy Sonic ranks highest on initial quality of any car in the world..

Wouldn't surprise me at all. The less features a car has, the fewer things there are to not work right or confused the new car buyer.

Again- that's why it's important to understand what this survey ACTUALLY TELLS YOU.

Instead of just going "UH! THEY SAY TESLA BAD SO THEY BAD!"

The fact tesla scores poorly here, but high on customer satisfaction, tells you there's likely some things Tesla would do well to address- but they're almost all going to be relatively minor concerns- or they are concerns where how the car works is unclear to the owner so education might move them from "complaint" to "understanding"

That's exactly kind of very-useful-to-the-car-maker deeper level of data that JD Power gets paid to provide here.

This was coordinated a coordinated attack today. Whenever Chanos mentions he's short TSLA you know the hit pieces are just around the corner. JD isn't independent, it's very survival is in jeopardy as legacy auto looks to make deep budget cuts. Listen to Sandy Munro, his buisness is struggling because legacy is axing consultants.

Yep, really well coordinated attack with all these negative articles popping out of nowhere. They have been trying pretty hard in the lead up to Q2 P&D and earnings. Let’s not forget they got a lot of assistance from macros today. In spite of all that action I will say the stock held up pretty well.

Shorts will try to continue to be more active than usual this week and next week knowing very well that this might be the last hoorah. I would not be surprised to see them go maximum short. It is unfortunate that most people who are not familiar with Tesla or its products will fall for this nonsense.

Last edited:
Adam is probably putting in some overtime hours with his Tesla bear thesis. It's behind a paywall but some notes below from the latest Barron's article.

GM’s Electric-Vehicle Business Could Be Worth $100 Billion, Says Morgan Stanley

General Motors’ growing electric-vehicle business could be worth up to $100 billion, according to Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas.

It’s a huge number. General Motors (ticker: GM) market cap is roughly $38 billion—and most of that value is derived from selling and leasing gasoline- and diesel-powered cars and trucks. The gap is huge. To arrive at his surprising conclusion, Jonas asks investors to look at GM the way they look at another EV maker: Tesla (TSLA).

I'm eagerly anticipating AJ's retirement from Wall Street to go into full-time comedy (looks like he's already doing part-time comedy with notes like this).

This man was born to be a comedian, and I think 90% of my good laughs this year have come courtesy of AJ.