Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guess who's back....

How many months before Fisker goes bankrupt again?

$FSKR $SPAQ

Exclusive: Electric car maker Fisker eyes deal to go public

The money grab here is sooo obvious, yet many investors are going to fall for it again. Another emperor with no clothes on, just like Nikola. But this time even the crowd believes Nikola and Fisker are wearing clothes. This can only end in tears. Henrik Fisker and Trevor Milton and their buddies will cash out, everyone else will be a bag holder.

It’s clear we are heading for a repeat of the dotcom bubble of the late nineties, which saw comparable crazy valuations for companies with zero products and zero credibility. Luckily Tesla has matured enough to withstand the storm.

Now that I think retirement may be coming sooner than expected I'm taking a big interest in RVs. I'd hate to not have an electric version.I bet the CT could be converted into something like those RV van conversions, though it might look goofy.
;)
I have ordered the Cybertruck so it can fulfill my fantasies (plural). When I first posted on the cybertruck forum i made a big stink because I was adamant that the cybertruck is not a pick-up truck. The narrow-mindedness of the people on the site was incredible. I tried to explain that putting the word "Truck" in the name was a marketing ploy so the "Truck people" would see it as a truck, and buy it. That worked... evidently. But I saw the "Not a Truck" as a vehicle engineered to do just about everything anyone would want: from portable work platform at a construction site to Soccer Mom Mobile that is green and the kiddies all want to show up at practice in.
One of my fantasies, there are a few, is that she will be able to do well is a mini RV. When I went to Auburn I played the market...not the stock market, the student rent contract market.
For the few that never dealt with it, briefly, it was that current students would have to put down deposit money and sign leases with off campus housing realtors. Incoming freshman got what was leftover. Cash during Spring term was available only till about the middle of Spring...but I had a plan. I figured out that I could score a good place at half the price IF I did not sign a lease. And instead live in a tent in Tuskegee National Forest till enough students left school because they were homesick. It happened every year, but no one could take advantage of it because all the students had signed leases.
So a month into the term I was still living in a tent. But instead my friends and luck were with me. My unique situation had evolved so that I was living in a tent in the backyard of a house where five lovely girls were happy to have their human dog (another aspect), and I could shower at the off campus dorm next to their house because I was friends or became friends with the guys there. It was one of my greatest financial moves. I had an extra $300/month because I did not have a rent contract.Back then "All you could drink" at a bar for 2 hours was $5. I never tried to find a conventional place to rent. I actually enjoyed living in a tent... tell me the Cybertruck doesn't look like a tent? The only reason I moved out of the tent was because in the Summer it was too warm. The Cybertent has a camp mode.
Join me see the world.
(Even if I had more than 131 shares of TSLA I wouldn't waste the money on one of those behemoths, unless they have FULL FSD. I see how miserable people are while pretending to enjoy driving them..and their wives are even more afraid.)

I am at the point where I could sell 2/3 of my shares and retire comfortably. However, I believe that if I hold out until S&P500 inclusion I will have 25-50% more money, and could then buy my dream Newell Motorcoach and a vacation home. So as hard as it is to not lock in my gains right now, I am waiting. I have a friend that is kicking himself for selling TSLA in the 300s after a solid gain. Another friend sold in the 300s and went all in again in the 700s. I believe that selling now would be a big mistake. In fact, I just lost some money buying back 1500SP covered calls for next Friday that I had sold a few months ago. I would not be surprised to see TSLA at 2,000 two weeks from now, and 2,500-3000 after S&P500 announcement.
You will be asking Newell to build that on a Semi frame, right?

Actually, he has never (as far I have noticed) predicted a short squeeze. People ask and ask.. is this a squeeze, and Ihor denies it over and over again. Except now.

So I think we should listen carefully this time, this is something new.

Even though shares shorted (<10%) is a all time low, the cost of these short positions are double of what it has been constantly for many many years.

I am very surprised about Ihors article. :)

He has said it before. Around the end of 2019 / beginning of 2020. I'd have to dig for a citation, but I remember reading the article. I've read enough about Ihor that I now take him with a big grain of salt.

Reactions: skybluecgreen
Confession time...

It's either write this post or perch myself on the window ledge. (Ground floor. Not much good there.) This is the only audience to whom I can bare my tortured soul.

Some years ago, I bought a bunch of TSLA at $200. (I'm not savvy enough to trade options. I'm more comfortable buying and holding long-term when I believe in the strength and vision of a company.)

Through it all I held fast and didn't sell. When TSLA went down to $150 and cries of 'bankrupt' were coming from every talking head on Wall Street, I just smiled and sat tight. I watched the reversal and held on, all smiles, until the pandemic hit. Until it was apparent that the pandemic was going to have a significant impact on the world and the Tesla factory closed.

At that point, I made the dumbest financial mistake of my life to date: I sold all my TSLA at around $750. Not because of any reduction in faith. I was trying to be clever. "There's going to be a dip back to $500-ish range due to the results of the plant closing and the general economic impact," my idiotic brain told myself. "I'll buy back in at that point and have even more shares."

And the downturn never happened.

My wife steadfastly shared my long-term faith in Tesla (which is still unwavering) but she, too, believed that the world's most volatile stock would dip and give us a chance to get back in. So we waited for a dip. And opportunity after opportunity passed us by as we waited for a dip that never happened.

So here we sit. Still sitting on cash that while missing every opportunity to reinvest in TSLA.

I'm absolutely tortured at the horrible decision I made by trying to be clever. My wife is far more zen about it. We locked in profit and she does a better job of focusing on that.

And, though it all, I can't stop beating myself up for exiting at $750. I'm so anguished over this that I can't let it go. I told my wife "I want to punch myself in the face until I'm unconscious, wake up, and do it again."

This is the only place who would possibly understand my pain. All of my friends and family would hear this and say "Oh, you didn't make enough on your TSLA stock and you're sad now. Boo hoo. Piss off."

So now we're faced with a decision: I want to just get back in now at market price and forget about the mistakes of the past and she wants to wait for a dip that may never happen before getting back in.

My belief is that long-term we're looking at $2500 - $3500 in the next three to five years and just jumping back in now is the best thing to do. Trying to be clever is what got us into this mess in the first place and I don't want to make that mistake again. My wife still believes that the world's most volatile stock won't disappoint and we'll see a dip again. Certainly not down to where we exited, but possibly nearer to $1000 or a tad lower.

That's my pain and our current struggle.

Thanks for listening.
As you've observed, waiting hasn't helped. Just grit your teeth and buy back in. Remember that you have to pay tax on that sale. Sorry if I made it worse.

Confession time...

It's either write this post or perch myself on the window ledge. (Ground floor. Not much good there.) This is the only audience to whom I can bare my tortured soul.

Some years ago, I bought a bunch of TSLA at $200. (I'm not savvy enough to trade options. I'm more comfortable buying and holding long-term when I believe in the strength and vision of a company.)

Through it all I held fast and didn't sell. When TSLA went down to $150 and cries of 'bankrupt' were coming from every talking head on Wall Street, I just smiled and sat tight. I watched the reversal and held on, all smiles, until the pandemic hit. Until it was apparent that the pandemic was going to have a significant impact on the world and the Tesla factory closed.

At that point, I made the dumbest financial mistake of my life to date: I sold all my TSLA at around $750. Not because of any reduction in faith. I was trying to be clever. "There's going to be a dip back to $500-ish range due to the results of the plant closing and the general economic impact," my idiotic brain told myself. "I'll buy back in at that point and have even more shares."

My wife steadfastly shared my long-term faith in Tesla (which is still unwavering) but she, too, believed that the world's most volatile stock would dip and give us a chance to get back in. So we waited for a dip. And opportunity after opportunity passed us by as we waited for a dip that never happened.

So here we sit. Still sitting on cash that while missing every opportunity to reinvest in TSLA.

I'm absolutely tortured at the horrible decision I made by trying to be clever. My wife is far more zen about it. We locked in profit and she does a better job of focusing on that.

And, though it all, I can't stop beating myself up for exiting at $750. I'm so anguished over this that I can't let it go. I told my wife "I want to punch myself in the face until I'm unconscious, wake up, and do it again."

This is the only place who would possibly understand my pain. All of my friends and family would hear this and say "Oh, you didn't make enough on your TSLA stock and you're sad now. Boo hoo. Piss off."

So now we're faced with a decision: I want to just get back in now at market price and forget about the mistakes of the past and she wants to wait for a dip that may never happen before getting back in.

My belief is that long-term we're looking at $2500 - $3500 in the next three to five years and just jumping back in now is the best thing to do. Trying to be clever is what got us into this mess in the first place and I don't want to make that mistake again. My wife still believes that the world's most volatile stock won't disappoint and we'll see a dip again. Certainly not down to where we exited, but possibly nearer to $1000 or a tad lower.

Thanks for listening.
Yep, almost same boat. I was buying from 300 all the way down to 200, taking money out of every account to buy more shares. Then I added margin when it went over 400. I was planning on selling my house so I thought I had it covered. Then the drop from 950 to 350 scared me out because there was a chance I could go negative and my house was under contract but that could have fallen through. I was able to buy back 1/2 my shares lower but then it ran away from me and I ended up paying more. I have about 30% less shares now and there is a comma missing in my account because of that. However, even after that ride, I have about 40x more gains in the last 12mo than I have had in my life. I have also learned a lot about options and how to use those if I am losing sleep over CV what ifs. There’s always NKLA! JK. Buy 1/2 back now and then the rest in increments. Maybe earnings will be bad, but I doubt it. Steady StealthPD is the way to go. Buy it and pretend you died. Not advice.

If you are diversifying out of Tesla it is worth considering where you put you money.

IMO:-
  • Tesla - fast lane
  • ARK ETFs - fast lane (maybe slower than Tesla short term)
  • Apple, Microsoft, Netflix, Amazon,- Medium speed.
  • Other stocks, fast, medium, slow or reverse - defending on a lot of factors.
  • Real Estate - Slow -> Medium
  • Bonds - slow
  • Cash in the bank - stopped
  • Oil Stocks - reverse
Many diversified funds hold oil stocks and some defined pension plans with oil stock holdings may not be sustainable.

Paying down debt or reducing leverage, is generally a good thing.

Diversifying out of Tesla into other fast or medium speed stocks is reasonable, Real Estate even with slow growth is reasonable, unless you buy the wrong thing at the wrong time.

I might have it slightly wrong, but my point is diversifying into assets that are stopped, or going in reverse, doesn't reduce risk, it merely destroys your money.

Confession time...

Thanks for listening.
Take your time getting back in. Do worry that you missed out, but don't rush back in either. Wait for new good prices at which to accumulate. In the mean time you might simply invest in QQQ or an ARK Invest fund. That would give you broad exposure to innovative companies. Many years QQQ has outperformed TSLA and over the last five years ARKK has outperformed QQQ. So what I would do is put a chunk of cash into funds like these and then wait for specific opportunities to buy TSLA or any other company at a bargain. All the best, JHM

So a month into the term I was still living in a tent. But instead my friends and luck were with me. My unique situation had evolved so that I was living in a tent in the backyard of a house where five lovely girls

• College
  • Living in a tent in the backyard of a house with 5 girls
You should have been paying them!

There is a sense of zen once you lock down your life and know that you are set. Helps in prolonging life by reducing stress. Helps in your interaction with peers, helps your leadership abilities as your decisions now are no longer life and death. Sure, the all in method may gain you more money, but I suspect that the ability to think rationally without the stress will eventually bring you more "wealth" that you need in the end whether it be money or something else more valuable.
99% of my net worth is invested in Tesla. I feel no stress and sleep like a baby every night. I can't imagine putting my money in anything else. I feel very calm and happy that I'm invested in probably the most innovative, high-growth, pro-health company on the planet.

Yep, almost same boat. I was buying from 300 all the way down to 200, taking money out of every account to buy more shares. Then I added margin when it went over 400. I was planning on selling my house so I thought I had it covered. Then the drop from 950 to 350 scared me out because there was a chance I could go negative and my house was under contract but that could have fallen through. I was able to buy back 1/2 my shares lower but then it ran away from me and I ended up paying more. I have about 30% less shares now and there is a comma missing in my account because of that. However, even after that ride, I have about 40x more gains in the last 12mo than I have had in my life. I have also learned a lot about options and how to use those if I am losing sleep over CV what ifs. There’s always NKLA! JK. Buy 1/2 back now and then the rest in increments. Maybe earnings will be bad, but I doubt it. Steady StealthPD is the way to go. Buy it and pretend you died. Not advice.
Initially, I just scanned over your text, saw the symbol "NKLA", and assumed the sentence "Buy it and PRETEND you died" had a typo ("pretend" was supposed to be "wished"?)