Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 578813 Cheers to the longs on a wonderful day!

@Lycanthrope I see your Belgian "pool beer" and raise you one of my 2017 Westvleteren XII's from my cellar :D
Holy cow! I did not connect the dots when I saw the photo the first time...now I get it "Trappist" would be "one who traps." and that is a beer...Beer Trappist, sounds like Bear Trappist.... Elon, one who traps bears.
You Sir should be getting a beer sent to your house by Elon. WELL PLAYED!

You're right - the calls that were only $0.88 each back on 9/3/19 were 1/15/21 $690 calls (now worth $1315 each!).

Looking back through my trade history, I never had any 1/22 $690 calls (so that was erroneous memory).
I thought the "22" might have been the year, but I found that too amazing. 1/21 is still incredible. You're killing it. Hopefully I can copy some of your strategies in the future. I would like to be in a comfortable retirement position within the next ten years.

I am very bullish on TSLA. My brokerage account clearly prove that. I look at shareholdings that have some extra zeros because of lots of luck since the 2008 catastrophic events. Then I look at what happened then, and what was happening in the preceding decade.

Prudence does not equate to ignorance.

We all should know that.
Well, it is probably time for full disclosure. For the first time since my 2013 introduction to Tesla I have sold some shares, roughly 15% of my TSLA holdings. The sole reason is to diversify a small percentage since the continuing value increase makes me inclined to be slightly less exposed to TSLA. Even this is quite odd to me since the only way I ended out with that concentration is the very price appreciation that has brought about that concentration. Because I anticipate some largish cash requirements during the next year it seems only prudent to do that.

Sorry for such a potentially absurd response or question in this thread....

I kick myself for depositing money into a trade account but not proceeding with buying shares of TSLA in april when it was in the $400 range. I kick myself when it dipped a couple weeks ago to 1380.... Even at $2000 a share today, is it foolish for me to not get in today, before the split?

Short term; anyone's guess. Long term; probably good idea to buy.

I kick myself for depositing money into a trade account but not proceeding with buying shares of TSLA in april when it was in the $400 range. I kick myself when it dipped a couple weeks ago to 1380.... Even at $2000 a share today, is it foolish for me to not get in today, before the split?
in someone's wise words on this board: "you made a mistake. Don't compound it" by making the same mistake.

nobody really knows what the market will do in the short term, ever. ask yourself if you think the stock will be higher in the long term or not, and make your decisions based on that.

I think Rob is great, I really do, and I agree he's very professional, and dressed really well in the Cramer interview.

However, I also think that if you cut out everything below the neck, he kinda looks like a homeless person :p Maybe it's just me. Not too many people with that much facial hair here, having lived in Asia for the past 7-8 years.

the covid ‘do and beard lol

• Funny
Reactions: FrankSG
I wonder why they need radar when they can do motion detection via internal cameras. Maybe it eats up too much battery? But it just needs to be on for 5 mins after door lock.
Would require multple cameras to cover all spots in the car. Radar can bounce into all parts of the interior and detect movement wherever it happens, however small.

So today is split record day? Any implications to that? If it were true that all these shorts has to scramble to true phantom shares into real shares, today would be the deadline, no?

The original theory (without diving back into the argument over if the theory is "right" or not for shorts, naked or otherwise)- they have to EITHER:

Deliver 4 real voting shares as a dividend in lieu to whomever lent them the shares they shorted, and deliver them by end of day on August 28th

or

Get out of their short position before that- with 2 days ago (T-2) being the "easiest" deadline for them to do so for back end paperwork/insuring everything is completed on time purposes but in theory they could cover later via due bill mechanics so as long as the lender has 4 real shares on the 28th from them for each 1 they lent.

Some have speculated at least some of the run up since the split is shorts doing the second one.

Either his newfound Tesla wealth, or his job at The Street has also lead him to dress and appear more professional. Not that he didn't before but it's a step up.

I guess you have to take the bad with the good! ;)

Honestly, I really don't think it's a good thing to have to emulate those who use a suit and tie to lend credibility to their BS. Good analysis should be able to stand on it's own and people need to start realizing that a suit and tie are superficial things that don't add any value to the conversation. If you think differently, I would say it's only because you have been brainwashed your entire life.

The original theory (without diving back into the argument over if the theory is "right" or not for shorts, naked or otherwise)- they have to EITHER:

Deliver 4 real voting shares as a dividend in lieu to whomever lent them the shares they shorted, and deliver them by end of day on August 28th

or

Get out of their short position before that- with 2 days ago (T-2) being the "easiest" deadline for them to do so for back end paperwork/insuring everything is completed on time purposes but in theory they could cover later via due bill mechanics.

Some have speculated at least some of the run up since the split is shorts doing the second one.

if short you don’t have to deliver any shares back to anyone by any date because of the split, except otherwise traded shares that fall within the regular settlement cycle

if i’m settled short 100 at close friday,
i’m borrowing 100 shares to cover the short

then monday i open
short 500 versus
borrow of 500

that’s it

as long as the availability of tesla stock is cheap, i can keep my short of 500 open until i decide to “close” it (of course only if i think the stk will come back)

dunno why anyone would short this thing but...to each his own

if i trade short on friday 100 shares
this won’t settle until tuesday
i will still open short 500 monday.
on tuesday i’ll be settled 500 short
i’ll be required to borrow 500 shares, which should be easy considering the current stock loan market liquidity for tesla

in either case i do not owe my excess split shares or my original position back to anyone directly because of the split

the borrow prevents the fail to deliver

where it becomes a domino effect is if the broker then recalls the loan that my broker uses to cover my short - or if the long margin my broker used to cover my short sells his/her position.

then the broker has to locate another 500 shares to cover me

if that cycle continues and accelerates due to liquidity/squeeze/whatever then i may be forced to cover and get out of the short

Ummm, did you even read the article?

Tesla is dead serious about human safety.
Tesla is quite concerned with human safety, but I always lean to the answer being "Mars". Most actions Elon takes are at least half informed by his needs for Mars colonization.

My assumption is there's a Mars factor that made the decision for them to go with radar. I mean.....do we really think Elon cares about boring holes on planet Earth? No way, that's a Mars habitat manufacturing company.

My teenager can answer that. She has 15 shares, randomly bought here and there. She doesn't over-analyze it and all are Market orders whenever she had time to log in. She's up 213%.