Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, fair enough.

Let me give a specific example.

BMW 330i has a turbocharged 2L inline 4 making 255 HP... Honda Accord has a turbocharged 2L inline 4 making 252 HP. These engines are clearly different, but is the ultimate result different enough to justify having two completely different teams design and manufacture them? Could BMW not sell just as many 330i's with 3 fewer HP? Or would it not be worth it to Honda to use an engine shared with BMW if it saved meaningfully on cost? In terms of differentiating cars with the same engine, BMW could still use their "Sport and Manual shift modes, steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters and Launch Control" to give a sportier feel than an Accord, overall appearance and handling and etc. notwithstanding. They'd still be very different cars, and I'm not expecting people to really cross-shop a 3-series with an Accord (though, apparently, my assumptions aren't that reliable).

I mean, I'm sure I'm oversimplifying. But at the end of the day, if you need to cut costs from somewhere in order to fund a roadmap to the future, it's not like you can squeeze a whole lot more bucks out of every supplier of seats and bolts and brake pads. Why not accept that your powertrain will be a bit more vanilla, differentiate elsewhere in the product, and apply the savings to not missing the boat on EVs?

Heck, by your reckoning, this would even make a Nissan more attractive. :)

In theory anything can be made cheaper if you just had one manufacturer globally.

Then the automotive press would go bonkers saying the Honda and BMW have the same engines. It is it justified spending the extra cash because of the suspension? or interiors?

They do this now with BMW Z4/Toyota Supra.

Honda and GM are collaborating on most of their lineup. They announced a revised partnership this year.

GM will stop making midsize and compact sedans and will simply rebadge Civics and Accords.

Honda will use GM electric powertrains and may simply rebadge GM BEVs. Honda may also rebadge GM trucks.

GM will lead both company BEV efforts while Honda will do FCEV.

I remember last year Angela Merkle was willing to subsidize one Gigafactory to supply VW,MB, and BMW. They all said no. Presumably each wanted product differentiation.

Obviously most of the legacy OEMs still think ICEv will generate the majority of their profits for the foreseeable future.

Volvo and MB said they will not engineer new ICE for the future only upgrading current ICE to meet emission standards. Then at some undefined point in the future they will stop making ICEv/PHEV and only make BEV. And in the case of Mercedes they still think FCEV is viable.

Texas factory update. Getting a lot busier. In addition to the usual massive earth moving and geopier operations, there is now continuous pumping of concrete, and a large crane is being assembled.
This is awesome.

I wish I knew more about construction engineering. I have a dozen questions every time I see one of these.

Last edited:
Reactions: hobbes
I did back in the day and I would today.

Today, if you put a gun to my head and forced me to buy a Japanese mainstream ICE midsize sedan, I would pick Toyota's proven naturally aspirated engines over the smaller turbocharged Honda engines. And I really don't like the base Accord's CVT(Continuously Variable Transmission).

And I don't like Nissan powertrain reliability nor their CVT.

You seem.... very knowledgeable about this.

This concerns me.

/jk:)

A Tesla owner who reportedly butt-dialed a $4,280 update is struggling to get a refund, highlighting a longtime complaint from customers

I got lots of heat for saying that Tesla needs to have password verification for in app purchases. I still say it’s an easy way to avoid this type of press.
This was widely reported, and largely debunked, about a month ago. I find it very encouraging that the anti-TSLA crew are dredging up old gossip, it usually precedes a runup.

This was widely reported, and largely debunked, about a month ago. I find it very encouraging that the anti-TSLA crew are dredging up old gossip, it usually precedes a runup.
And of course, now they DO have 2FA. Be careful, though. Mine didn’t work and I had to have Tesla reset my account.

• Informative
Reactions: Nocturnal
Wouldn’t they still be putting the report together at this point? I’m skeptical but this is what it says...

View attachment 597341

The "not secure" prefixing the decidedly fake url is very concerning. Hope you have mfa for all your important logins set up. Phishing for Tesla investor's login credentials is likely to start being a thing
Screenshot_20201010-210612.png

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. And over the past few weeks I haven't cared as much whether Tesla will do 900k, 1M, or 1.1M units in 2020, and whether they will do 3M, 4M, or 5M in 2025. Tesla will grow, dominate, and save the planet, it's just a question of exactly how the S-curves of each product and factory will take shape.

There's also the fact that Tesla has shared less detailed information about the business over the past year than it did before. The new approach to investor relations of "less tell and more show" also makes me personally just want to sit back, relax, and trust the company more, and try to analyze every single detail less.

Millions of cars and trucks travel the world highways, an ocean of money, flowing to the fossil industry and OPEC. The fossil fuel industry will not go quietly into the night. They will stand and defend their business.

This war is only beginning.

I don’t know if this is good news for TSLA but there is a recall on Kona EV Hyundai Kona Electric Recalled over Potential Fire Danger for fires.

1 year ago I convinced my friend to buy a Model 3 instead of à Kona EV. Now he is probably happy he did the right choice.

the closest small SUVcompetitor has to go through its first obstacle

Ouch. So Hyundai is replacing 25,564 battery packs...? That must hurt...

I don’t know if this is good news for TSLA but there is a recall on Kona EV Hyundai Kona Electric Recalled over Potential Fire Danger for fires.

1 year ago I convinced my friend to buy a Model 3 instead of à Kona EV. Now he is probably happy he did the right choice.

the closest small SUVcompetitor has to go through its first obstacle

"Vehicles, both gasoline and electric, are flammable. Whether it's fluid or electrons, when heat is introduced in a way not intended by engineers there will eventually be flames."

Whoa whoa, this is how the article starts? Did they ever give Tesla such a disclaimer when talking about their fires?

How do they get past the email notification? What app would be used for 2 factor ID?

Email based 2 factor authentication is not usually as bad. SMS based messages are susceptible to SS7 attacks (Signalling System No. 7 - Wikipedia) or just plain old social engineering (calling up the phone company and convincing them to route a number to your phone. Easier than it sounds).

Common apps that are used instead would be like Google Authenticator or Duo.

• Informative
Reactions: UCF3
This is awesome.

I wish I knew more about construction engineering. I have a dozen questions every time I see one of these.

The video author's comments about the Mobile Batch plant are fairly correct. He's highlighted the poly silos for Admixtures. All fairly standard for concrete work. I don't foresee too many different types of aggregate bins, as concrete really only needs sand, Portland cement and a single size aggregate. Concrete plants have far less aggregate types than say an asphalt plant (I was at a brand new asphalt plant two weeks ago) that have a larger variety of mix types and different needs. I'm curious where the aggregate comes from in this part of Texas. The proximity and availability can have some very large implication as to how the overall foundation and subgrade are designed. Berlin was unique in that they actually trained in aggregate. I've never seen that before, but having the rail line there is very handy for that sort of thing. I'm also predicting a lot of Precast concrete elements will arrive on site before too long.

The interesting production notes here is that the ground densification rigs (Excavators with auger and vibratory attachments) aren't working... on a Friday. This scope doesn't appear to be complete, and unless it's an unusual shift rotation with Fridays off, that seems a bit odd. I've actually been wondering if these factories have a night shift. Aside from the concrete work, all of what they are doing right now could be done at night, and it's actually more efficient in terms of equipment utilization to run round the clock. Labour, a little less so. The concrete can actually be done at night even easier, as it's cooler (makes things a bit nicer to deal with) but it's more a function of curing time on already cast elements, need to wait a bit.

The white hydraulic truck crane is obviously assembling what is likely the first of many lattice boom crawler cranes. This particular unit is so massive that it comes in a bunch of pieces governed by highway load limits. Not uncommon for a few dozen trailer loads to put these all together, and sort of funny when the counterweights comes in as they are just massive slabs of steel that look rather insignificant on a trailer. The crawler setup was also seen at Berlin, but went on to later assemble several tower cranes, I'm wondering if they will use the same here. The yellow crawler crane might just be for the deeper foundation work where they are pouring the slab, the crawler tracks spread out the weight of the crane and result in lower ground pressure. You'll note the truck crane is on crane pads, which is pretty common on anything that isn't rock. These cranes are heavy and lift many times their own weight, and that's hard on the ground below.

Speaking of foundations, that slab should be done in the next day or two. I'm wondering why that portion is lower. The foundation isn't heavy duty enough for large equipment. Might be for some utilities or some portion of the factory that needs to sit below the grade of the remainder. It's not the same sub-excavated detail that was seen at Shanghai for the press. Looks like they also have a mini-assembly line for the square footing reinforcing steel, so those will go fast.

The semi trucks with the belly-dump style trailers are about as effective as you can get for moving material at high speed for a long haul in open areas, as they drive through and don't need back up (They also tip over a whole lot less than any other style of dump truck, and yes, this is actually a common problem). I did a project a few years ago where we moved over 2 million tons of aggregate with this type of truck configuration. The belly dumps can also travel on-highway, which a Scraper or articulated haul truck can't do - however, scrapers are self-loading, and work great for short haul applications (Their top speed and horrendous fuel burn limit them to about 0.5 mile effective range, articulated trucks are somewhere in the middle range at roughly 0.5 - 3 miles, and highway trucks rule anything beyond about 3-5 miles).

We often use some basic applications or a decently-macro'd excel sheet to determine the optimal haul truck for an application. It's all based on distance, average haul speed, load/dump time at the pickup and drop-off locations and, terrain. The result identifies the number, type, and, size of truck to use. I'm sort of jealous at how simple and open the access to the site is. This is about as good as it gets anywhere, we sunk two excavators on my project last month because the ground conditions are so soft. There's no trucks lining up, and the bulldozer is correctly sized to the operation for the gravel / embankment material. In short, it's a well run show.

Construction is not that complicated, it's all about efficiently planning the operation and making tweaks to keep it that way. Autonomy would do wonders for this type of work - and does, but only at mine sites currently, no reason you couldn't have a fleet of Tesla semi platooning in and out of this site. I'm still a bit skeptical that Austin will open ahead of Berlin. I guess they can prioritize equipment, and the building is the fast part. But they still don't even have a single column up at Austin and Berlin has some nearly-complete shells.

Apologies to the mods if these posts should go elsewhere, but I saw the bat signal and just opened a big bottle of beer.~~~If this post were to go anywhere, it would be to the “Of Merit” slot. tldr: keep ‘em coming~~~~

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 12, 2020:
BTW, I calculate that roughly 2.2M shares will need to be purchased by shortzes just to maintain their current short positions

That is forced buying, all due by Aug 28

People here STILL do not understand what Tesla achieved with its $5B Cap raise on Sep 01-04, 2020.

Naked Short Sellers (mostly TSLA Market Makers and counterfeiting Brokers) were FORCED to purchase about 11.0M shares (equivalent to 2.2M pre-split) in order to maintain their client positions.

Note that there were many, MANY, individual reports here on TMC where customers of various Broker's DID NOT received their dividend shares in a timely matter as required by the SEC. That should have been done by Mon, Aug 31, 2020 but instead customers got weak excuses and thinly veiled lies as to where their shares where (no, they weren't stuck in the mail).

It was not until Tesla released $5B in new shares that the share dividend squeeze started to abate (no, it wasn't the S&P nonsence). We'll likely know by the time Tesla releases the Q-10 for 2020Q3 (~Oct 28?) how many shares were issued from Tue-Fri, Sep 01-04 for the Cap raise. My prediction is (and was, per my Aug 12 comment above) that Tesla issued 2.2M shares at an ASP of $454 per share.

BONUS: $5B is likely the amount Tesla needs to complete the buildout of Gigafactory Texas, which was their only capital project which was not already fully funded (Giga Shanghai is non-recourse local debt from Chinese banks, and Giga Berlin is funded by €2B FCA Carbon credits).

The shorts and other cheaters didn't just hand over $5B to Tesla; they bought Tesla a MONEY PRINTING MACHINE the size of Texas. :D

Cheers!

Last edited:
I can certainly get behind the value proposition being that this improves the value of autopilot / FSD.

I'm less enthralled with the insurance business angle - I do see benefits, but I see a lot of risks, a capital intensive business, and a more limited upside on the insurance business itself than I think others are seeing.

I'll take further insurance business comments to a new (or existing) insurance business thread.

Just as an aside, imagine how the profit/loss curve is influenced if TI (Tesla Insurance) follows the normal Elon model of NO ADVERTISING . . . .

That factor alone should have a massive impact on TI's ability to increase the value of TSLA in the years ahead.

FWIW, 428,633 vehicles is the peak Fremont produced back before Tesla owned it....just to give an idea what Legacy makers got out of the plant

Keep in mind that during all iterations of Fremont pre-Tesla none were much vertically integrated. They did stamp many metal parts, but it was then a traditional plant, so was really assembly plus some stamping. High vertical integration does produce fewer vehicle counts than does assembly. Thus comparisons between various iteration of Fremont really do not mean much. Nonetheless it is interesting.

Where was it debunked? The other story was about people buying the performance upgrade, perhaps I missed this one?

Edit, I see that this issue was corrected (which also validates that it was an issue). I'm mollified now. ;)

And of course, now they DO have 2FA. Be careful, though. Mine didn’t work and I had to have Tesla reset my account.
Hmm, I wonder if I have the same issue as I don't see that on my app either. Good to know they fixed this issue.

Last edited: