Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
in the wsj they mention a disruptive brexit, things not looking well for a clean break between the uk and the EU.

Implications to Tesla after 1 Jan 2021: Import taxes to UK from EU, USA, China similar. Berlin does not have an advantage without a deal.

Now - UK ports problems (Felixstowe-containers, not Tesla, Southampton-TESLA & others I can't remember). Felixstowe also affected by bad IT system, PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) that may not meet spec dumped in port storage.

EU ports also affected as more containers offloaded in EU (Zeebrugge etc), can't send to UK ports in timely fashion.

It's possible that some Right-hand Drive (RHD) Teslas can't get to UK this month. Some Tesla ships delayed to UK/EU & some seem to be stationary near Azores.

UK is a big Tesla market, RHD cars can't easily be shifted to other RHD markets as no big ones nearby (Eire/NI are tiny). We might find delivery <> production & days from prod to delivery go up from 14 days. Overall, not a big problem & most can be landed elsewhere & trucked in but does add cost & delay.

edit: typos & noting first Disagree to @Kruggerand - just regarding deal was ok. It's not, it might be soon, but it's still going to cause chaos, even in a best scenario

edit2: link to Floaty McTeslaFace - 2020 Shipping Movements

Last edited:
But wasn’t it reported like 2 days ago that everything was worked out and resolved for the separation? I literally just read that.

“We’ve been thinking for a long time that these comments are a negotiating tactic and that it is important for both sides to get a deal,” said Seema Shah, chief strategist at Principal Global Advisors. “But we’ve seen concerns starting to creep in this week that if the gap is too wide between the two sides then maybe it can’t be breached.”

The U.K.’s current commercial and trading ties with the EU expire on Jan 1. Intensive talks are meant to take place this weekend. If a deal can’t be struck, both sides are preparing for significant border disrup-tion affecting trade worth close to $900 billion a year. A hard split between the U.K. and EU could pile on pain to a global economy that has already been reeling this year under the stress of Covid-19.

While negotiations would likely go down to the wire, investors are largely betting on a last-minute compromise, said Altaf Kassam, head of investment strategy at State Street Global Advisors in Europe.“

U.S. Stock Futures Fall Amid Talk of Disruptive Brexit

So yesterday was a psychology experiment. Ask yourself: did you get duped by the big boys and end up losing any of your net position in TSLA yesterday or today? I wouldn't blame you if you did. It's hard, isn't it? This is why the house usually wins.
Not really. A while ago I did sell 900 shares at $500+ to finance a remodeling project next year. When the price went well below $400, I bought 100 shares on the idea that I would sell them when the price reached $650. The other day I sold them at $650. Basically, made a plan and executed it. Now if I had a time machine, I could have gone back and held all 900 till $650, but there was no guarantee that the price would rise to that level by the time I needed the funds, so the risk was that I would have had to sell the shares at low prices. Of course, all my other shares are intact.

I have a different question. Why do we see new ATH in all markets all the time when most of Europe and the US is in the middle of a severe pandemic?

Besides, macros have recovered quite a bit in the last hours:)

Interesting questions. When the pandemic happens, the market could be said to have priced in a huge black swan event which removes risk and the market floats higher from the lows. It is rare when the markets get to see and price in such a huge global black swan event.

When the vaccine comes into play, well it is back to normal in a sense and the market seems high and has to price in the uncertainty of the recovery from a black swan event of this magnitude. Lots of uncertainty and moving bets to digest over the next 6 months.

Then there is the S&P inclusion and I have to wonder if there is not downward pressure. Selling and buying are likely to be less traumatic in a lower market (perhaps as a percentage). It seems to me fluidity and instability foster liquidity increases and that will play out favorably for the inclusion. Remember the market is also digesting the evaporation of a stable carbon fuels segment as well as digital currencies and some non-trivial degree of political mischief.

Here is today's TSLA Tech chart as of 09:30 EST:

(Note: Upper-BB at Market Opening was $694.27)

sc.TSLA.50-DayChart.2020-12-11.09-30.png

Cheers!

TSLA mkt cap will depend upon the number of shares that Tesla issue on Monday for the $5B cap raise.

If we just take the VWAP for Dec 8/9 of $628.04 then the $5B cap raise would result in approx. 7.961M shares being issued on Mon, Dec 11.

So, if SP stays at today's Closing price, then TSLA's Mkt Cap goes up by $5 Billion on Monday. :D

Cheers!

P.S. Estimated total shares of TSLA would be 947,900,733 + 7,961,297 = 955,862,030 shares.

P.P.S. Bet that Yahoo Finance doesn't update TSLA's mkt cap until after the 10-K comes out? Even so, S&P DJI is SUPPOSED to change the no. of shares and IWF due to corporate events during the rebalaning 'freeze' period, so we'll see if we get a sniff from them. :p
Sorry, but your calendar has crashed. It seems to have recovered since. Today is FRI Dec 11.