Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We need to stop will all these conspiracy theories. Like come on, anyone can post anything on the internet, and we are giving credence to the broken english tweet from who exactly? I'm gonna go tweet that tesla is going to do a $50 billion share buy back to further force a squeeze. Just so one of you can screenshot it and post it here so we can come up with 3 pages of cockamamy tin foil hat theories.

It's entirely possible that the inclusion was already completely front run and nothing actually will happen on Friday. Stranger things have happened. Sure would be a surprise to everyone if the stock price just stayed flat on Friday.
Not to me, it's one of three possibilities I'm entertaining.

They could only sign (agree) such an agreement during the 3 days prior (or the 3 days after). Before that it is possible ???? that they could discuss the possibility of such an agreement, but they could not sign to it. I rather suspect front-running has been going on for a veeeeery long time. I would like to be wrong mind you.
There's no incentive for such a plan. What if some bif index fund loads up at today's price and Friday at 3pm it's 20% lower? How do they match the S&P500 starting Monday at open without incurring millions in extra cost? We're overthinking this.

Reactions: LAexpress
Everyone keeps forgetting if the Gov builds it, the Gov will set pricing (instead of the market). This is where lobbyists from the FF industry will have a field day, to push charging prices up, so that "it's not cheaper to drive an EV" will become their mantra.

I would rather Tesla and independent companies like Electrify America build out networks, and compete with each other.

Too many pigs (middle men) will get fat if the Gov does the build-out.

To add to this:
"to build 500k charging stations"
This is another plan without thinking, looks like that just throwing random numbers (maybe for headlines?)
Total gas station in US is around 120k
Why would EV ever need more than 50k charging stations? 98% charging is done at home.

@JBRR the imbalance info is only available on TWS. Not on mobile. If you hit the configure button at the top right, you can add additional columns. Just search for imbalance. There are actually a bunch of other data points associated with auction. Like reference price, etc.

Anyways this is what my column setup looks like. You can see it a little less than halfway down.

As I was watching it, it opened at 214k sell imbalance which was slowly chipped away as the QQQs were rising and TSLA was drifting lower. Couple minutes ahead of close, it flipped to a small buy imbalance. Didn't look too tradeable to me, but I don't have the cowboy trigger finger either. More of just curiosity.

Edit: someone asked me about other platforms. Sorry not familiar with ToS or fidelity.

16080692897713541590061622746648.jpg

Last edited:
I get a kick out of the way the media (Electrek in this case) likes to frame these stories as if it's the government that dictates the speed of transition to EV's. They tend to make it sound like it's the government that's mandating the switch when, in my opinion, it's happening and will continue to happen based on economics. These incentives will barely dent the speed of transition. Every little bit helps but it's not the determining factor.

A tailwind is better than a headwind when it comes to making progress

Government subsidies, loans, and support for basic and applied research have helped to make EVs, solar power, batteries etc viable and affordable products.

The fact that the EV penetration rate is so different between California and most of the rest of the US shows how significant this effect can be.

I agree that the EV transition is inevitable based on economics and other obvious factors - but government support/interference can either accelerate the inevitable or delay the inevitable.

PB will be a tailwind, IMHO

To add to this:
This is another plan without thinking, looks like that just throwing random numbers (maybe for headlines?)
Why would EV ever need more than 50k charging stations? 98% charging is done at home.
Since U.S is on 110v. 220v dryer plug or something outside out of condos/town homes maybe part of this "500k" number.

Reactions: JustMe
We need to stop will all these conspiracy theories. Like come on, anyone can post anything on the internet, and we are giving credence to the broken english tweet from who exactly? I'm gonna go tweet that tesla is going to do a $50 billion share buy back to further force a squeeze. Just so one of you can screenshot it and post it here so we can come up with 3 pages of cockamamy tin foil hat theories.
True

However we are seeing some shenanigans going on. Who predicted that Tsla will drop the day and AH before the majority of indexers start to buy in?

To add to this:
Big Auto's compliance vehicles have poor range? ;)

ETA: @Prunesquallor beat me to it.

There's no incentive for such a plan. What if some bif index fund loads up at today's price and Friday at 3pm it's 20% lower? How do they match the S&P500 starting Monday at open without incurring millions in extra cost? We're overthinking this.

Many (not all) of the index funds also run other funds. So they can keep it in the family, if they were to want to do so.

Well, I decided to open a much smaller position for next week. Near the close I wrote 25 Dec 18 TSLA 690 puts for $95.10. So breakeven is at TSLA $595 next Friday. If TSLA ends the week over 690 I make ~$237K. If TSLA rises dramatically, as I think is likely, this will provide a nice extra. My shares and 12/31 590 and 690 calls will provide the endless bounty if the stock does spike.
From Friday, my 25 puts are now at $63.85, so up $78K of their potential $237K. A little bit down today on TSLA's $6.58 drop.

Not much sign of "endless bounty" yet.:D

Does anybody know if the funds that need to buy can work out deals beforehand? In essence, tell another fund to buy the stock for them, then sell it directly to them for a certain guaranteed percentage mark up?

i asked this in trading thread a few weeks back, and seemingly but hopefully not is starting to seem relevant. the consensus was back then this would not be allowed.

• Informative
Reactions: Xd85