Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Typically, market makers are option sellers more than they are option buyers. So assignment on those 750 strike calls is more likely to be sucking shares out of the market makers hands.

Yes, they used the same weekly close playbook as last week. -- SP was around $863 at 3:30PM, then closed at $880.02 for assigning all calls $880 and under, to "suck the shares out of the MM's hands".

During the final 30 minutes, I assume someone bought 15,350 contracts of $880 strike calls for mostly between $1 and $3 to exercise and accumulate 1,535,000 shares from the $880 calls, and I assume a lot more from last minute buying and exercising the $860 and $870 calls.

Based on this week and last week, one option play for next Friday could be to sell at the high at around 12 noon or 1PM on Friday, then buy them back just after 3PM. Or, safer, buy cheap at 3:30PM then sell at 3:55PM. (Not advice)

First chart : $880 calls prices from 9:30 to 4PM, each bar is 30 minutes.

Source:
: TSLA210108C00880000 (TSLA210108C00880000) Stock Price, News, Quote & History - Yahoo Finance --> Click on Chart then click on 1 min or 30 minutes chart. (I think this chart might be only available until the weekend, or only today)

upload_2021-1-8_16-48-31.png

Second is the minute chart of the $880 calls before closing.

upload_2021-1-8_17-5-33.png

Share prices in the final hour:

upload_2021-1-8_17-8-55.png

Last edited:
Please realize there's only this many talented engineers out there, and this many who will move to where Tesla is and willing to work for. Throwing more money at it has fairly limited effect.
This is why Tesla will largely clone technology for the Model 2 in Shanghai from the existing Model 3/Y lines. It is a way of leveraging engineering talent, because they're literally no longer reinventing the wheels...

You can throw money at cloning a moneymaking machine to make, well, more money... :D

Cheers!

TSLA now worth $834 B
Don't neglect to count the ~8M TSLA shares issued on Dec 11, 2020. Today, they add $7.04B which brings TSLA's market cap to $842.2B :D

Online data sources line Google Charts or Yahoo Finance will update once Tesla releases it's 10-K for 2020, likely about a week after the Q4 Shareholder's Letter is released (so ~Feb 3rd, 2021 for the 10-K)

Cheers!

Yes, they used the same weekly close playbook as last week. -- SP was around $863 at 3:30PM, then closed at $880.02 for assigning all calls $880 and under, to "suck the shares out of the MM's hands".

During the final 30 minutes, I assume someone bought 15,350 contracts of $880 strike calls for mostly between $1 and $3 to exercise and accumulate 1,535,000 shares from the $880 calls, and I assume a lot more from last minute buying and exercising the $860 and $870 calls.

Based on this week and last week, one option play for next Friday could be to sell at the high at around 12 noon or 1PM on Friday, then buy them back just after 3PM. Or, safer, buy cheap at 3:30PM then sell at 3:55PM

First chart : $880 calls prices from 9:30 to 4PM, each bar is 30 minutes.

Source:
: TSLA210108C00880000 (TSLA210108C00880000) Stock Price, News, Quote & History - Yahoo Finance --> Click on Chart then click on 1 min or 30 minutes chart. (I think this chart might be only available until the weekend, or only today)

View attachment 625818

Second is the minute chart of the $880 calls before closing.

View attachment 625821

Share prices in the final hour:

View attachment 625822
Please oh please tell me that this back magic resulted in a win for the good side somehow?

If you're with Fidelity as I am and (apparently) your portfolio has grown large enough, then they just assign an advisor (or whatever they call it) to your account.

That's funny! The customers that are are doing really well without an advisor are assigned one. But the people with substandard returns without an advisor are not offered one. o_O

Obviously, this is a strategy conceived with all same brilliant logic most stock analysts must use. It's as if the entire financial industry is not using first principles thinking. It's not rocket science but I suppose if brokerage houses can make a profit while paying high wages, no matter how illogical their business plan is, then it makes sense. Rockets tend to go "boom" when first principles thinking is not used.

Pretty much anyone that comes and hangs out on this forum for while who does not own 20,000 shares of TSLA and another 100 LEAPs that they purchased at least two years ago is going to feel poor and stupid.

I have killed it the past two years and compared to what I infer around here, I feel poor and stupid.

This is an elite crew. And that is not even counting all the fine contributors from over the years who do not bother to show up anymore because they are too busy swimming around in their vaults like Scrooge McDuck.

Let us take a moment to consider how this all started. A bunch of pie in the sky EV fanatics showed up and bought Teslas, usually sight unseen, cause they were mad as hell and they were not going to take it anymore. By anyone paying attention, they were simply considered mad.

Yeah, they bought some stock as well (my first purchase was at 27 pre split. Wish I could say I still had those particular shares. They were replaced by many others but....sigh). That was just for fun and to dream.

Dreams of a profitable company and a rocketing share price sure, but also of a world renewed.

Let’s keep dreaming.

Pretty much anyone that comes and hangs out on this forum for while who does not own 20,000 shares of TSLA and another 100 LEAPs that they purchased at least two years ago is going to feel poor and stupid.

I have killed it the past two years and compared to what I infer around here, I feel poor and stupid.

This is an elite crew. And that is not even counting all the fine contributors from over the years who do not bother to show up anymore because they are too busy swimming around in their vaults like Scrooge McDuck.

Let us take a moment to consider how this all started. A bunch of pie in the sky EV fanatics showed up and bought Teslas, usually sight unseen, cause they were mad as hell and they were not going to take it anymore. By anyone paying attention, they were simply considered mad.

Yeah, they bought some stock as well (my first purchase was at 27 pre split. Wish I could say I still had those particular shares. They were replaced by many others but....sigh). That was just for fun and to dream.

Dreams of a profitable company and a rocketing share price sure, but also of a world renewed.

Let’s keep dreaming.
?

That's funny! The customers that are are doing really well without an advisor are assigned one. But the people with substandard returns without an advisor are not offered one. o_O

Obviously, this is a strategy conceived with all same brilliant logic most stock analysts must use. It's as if the entire financial industry is not using first principles thinking. It's not rocket science but I suppose if brokerage houses can make a profit while paying high wages, no matter how illogical their business plan is, then it makes sense. Rockets tend to go "boom" when first principles thinking is not used.

It is funny :)

I think the rationale is that this is a mechanism to keep the large accounts at Fidelity, stay at Fidelity.

The returns part is particularly funny. The people that would most benefit from standard financial advice, in a situation like this, need to go searching for that help.

Last edited:
Yesterday's update is out-of-date. Today's revision:
  • TSLA now worth $834 B
  • Over the last 4 years, TSLA has grown at a rate of almost more than 5x per year
  • TSLA is now worth almost more than half (48% 52%) of Amazon (AMZN - $1.59 T)
  • TSLA is worth more than a third (35%) of Apple (AAPL - $2.2 T)
  • I've added Royal Dutch SHELL (RDSB) as a legacy energy data point comparison
  • Shell is down 12.5% per year over the last 4 years
  • I dropped Nikola
  • I increased the left axis scale so we see Apple's market cap (but the legacy auto manufacturers are becoming ants!
View attachment 625792
Rather than RDSB would it be informative to show the [5] largest oil companies combined, or some other similar metric if you are looking to show the movement in value? Given the chart scales to accommodate Apple it might work for that too.

Reactions: rsm287 and capster
So, $880 on Jan 8, 2021 just 5 trading days into the new year—I’m calling it. She’s 3 for 3. If it goes to $1,200 by springtime 2021; *our* springtime, Australia’s springtime, Mars’s springtime I don’t care who’s springtime, every single one of you need to start playing her lottery numbers.
This is just scary :eek: when was the $900 call ?

• Funny
Reactions: lafrisbee