Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No you didn't fix anything.

GM has over $30B cash/equivalents on hand right now.

GM had a $3B profit in Q1 2021 and is expected to earn a profit of $4B in Q2 2021.

They don't need a secondary offering nor have everything go perfectly.
They may have $30B of cash on hand right now, but they won't be able to spend any significant portion of it. GM's current assets total $80B. Their current liabilities also total $80B. Flipping through their historical annual income statements, the most they've got was like $9.6B. The average is more like $6B. Looks to me like they'll need at least half a decade worth of net income to finance a $30B investment in EV. That's gonna a touch pill to swallow.

Occasionally, there’s an entirely positive article published, though we tend to only focus on the FUD. Mashable is not going to be confused with the NYT, but hey, it’s something, and their audience is a good demo for Tesla.

The won't need to. The "planned" spending on EV's is merely a charade to save their place at the government bailout trough.
I think this is spot on. Ford is actually putting out some EVs that have merit. The mach-e is not a terrible car actually, has some innovation, has some features such as a large battery that show some understanding of the key "needs" of an EV sold in the USA, the manufacturing showed a combination of a first in a new platform kludge and savvy international procurement. The truck is looking ok too.

Compare to GM, the bolt/volt has not aged well. There is no innovation. They actually bought into Milton's Nikola fraud. They partnered with that lordstown debacle. What a show from top to bottom at GM.

They may have $30B of cash on hand right now, but they won't be able to spend any significant portion of it. GM's current assets total $80B. Their current liabilities also total $80B. Flipping through their historical annual income statements, the most they've got was like $9.6B. The average is more like $6B. Looks to me like they'll need at least half a decade worth of net income to finance a $30B investment in EV. That's gonna a touch pill to swallow.
Excellent

Reactions: Nocturnal
Excellent

240d22bf3aeda750fca5c00d2dfbf72a.jpg

... And is your name really Lance Boyle? Asking for a friend (*cough* @ZeApelido *cough*).

And the SEC will have nothing to 'investigate'.....yet....they have the resources to 'investigate' tweets by Elon...makes complete sense..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
The SEC is controlled by hedge funds and short sellers so I'm not sure what you were expecting them to do. If they leave Elon alone from now on I'll be happy enough.

Cars vs bikes are a major problem that forever changes lives.
May Teslas forever change this problem.
One of my worst childhood memories is watching one of my friends hit by a bus while riding a bike. Happened out near Manteca, CA.

American road and street design is a travesty. Every time I ride one of these "bike lanes" putting kids on bicycles right next to cars whizzing by at 50mph, I want to strangle a road engineer. Dunno if self-driving cars will fix the problem, but I'm a strong advocate of pedestrian safety standards in car design, and fixing America's atrocious street design.

American road and street design is a travesty. Every time I ride one of these "bike lanes" putting kids on bicycles right next to cars whizzing by at 50mph, I want to strangle a road engineer. Dunno if self-driving cars will fix the problem, but I'm a strong advocate of pedestrian safety standards in car design, and fixing America's atrocious street design.
Surprisingly, that's actually the safest place for a cyclist. All the other way puts the cyclist at either 90 degrees to the traffic or worse, facing the traffic, so the driver never sees the cyclist because the cyclist is not where anything is expected.

From the article:
The anonymous staff worker further claimed that the defective vehicles were sold by Tesla China to CATL to reduce inventory. This is a substantial claim, and one that most certainly caught its own round of controversy. In its statement to the Times, however, CATL denied these rumors.

At the end of his latest MachE video Sandy mentions that he's bought a Plaid and expects it in 2 weeks.

What's good about publicly revealing Tesla's advancements sooner than later to potential competition?

Edit - slower is better. Also, unrelated and very OT:

Occasionally, there’s an entirely positive article published, though we tend to only focus on the FUD. Mashable is not going to be confused with the NYT, but hey, it’s something, and their audience is a good demo for Tesla.

"13 - You'll only find fart mode in a Tesla"... that's a shame, because I subscribe to the NYT and I like to fart a lot...

Last edited:
What's good about publicly revealing Tesla's advancements sooner than later to potential competition?
What competition?

Any company can buy a plaid S and tear it down themselves. Also, Munro doesn't give away the very valuable info. For that, you need to buy their reports.

I'm looking forward to the teardown by Munro. It's one of the few channels I'm subscribed to.

EV car subsidies seem like they might be out of the new bi-partisan infrastructure bill proposal (it isn’t mentioned In the details of the article linked to)

electric buses are in - might we see a Model “B” emerge from Tesla perhaps?

proposal:

The group proposes spending $360 billion for roads, bridges and major projects; $48.5 billion for public transit; $66 billion for rail; $55 billion for water infrastructure; $65 billion for broadband and $73 billion for power infrastructure. In addition, the group is proposing spending $47.2 billion on climate resiliency, $25 billion for airports, $10 billion on electric buses and $16 billion for ports