Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Conversation today at the playground while playing with my son:
Him: So what do you work?
Me: I don't
Him: What do you mean?
Me: I'm retired for the time being and spend my time with my son
Him: How can you afford that?
Me: I've invested in TSLA and sell options for income
Him: But GM's super cruise is coming and Tesla will have so many competitors in 5 years
Me: Yeahh... Sorry I gotta go. :rolleyes:

I misread and thought this conversation was between you and your son.
Then I was impressed by the last question being asked by a child, and at the same time started to wonder how could that be your son.

I had a post replying to this, that I deleted, saying the following:

After watching the news on a Saturday night, the following segments popped up right after another (I watch via Haystack News):

- record breaking heatwave of the entire west coast
- record breaking low water in the west coast too early in the season
- covid delta variant (a new strain of the original virus that caused worldwide lockdowns for a year+)
- gun violence is up significantly nationwide in the US
- power failure potential in the west coast
- the President of Haiti was assassinated
- billionaires trying to personally fly to space
- reopening schools and masks starting in 1 month (in the middle of august)
- US capitol riot redux of rioters that was only 6 months ago and we are learning where death threats were involved

It was a bit much. Then, that got me pondering about conversations people are having about all of these as a deluge nowadays...eventually I misread and misunderstood gabeincal's post, but there was something there that struck a chord. Namely - here's to hoping the school reopenings go well starting next month and things cool down a bit both figuratively and literally.

I will take anything Bill tweets with a grain of salt in future. It’s clear he never really thought about what was in that pack, despite it being highly significant regarding the date on which Tesla becomes full master of their own destiny (in a position to accelerate cell production, beyond the rate cell suppliers are comfortable with).

I had a post replying to this, that I deleted, saying the following:

After watching the news on a Saturday night, the following segments popped up right after another (I watch via Haystack News):

- record breaking heatwave of the entire west coast
- record breaking low water in the west coast too early in the season
- covid delta variant (a new strain of the original virus that caused worldwide lockdowns for a year+)
- gun violence is up significantly nationwide in the US
- power failure potential in the west coast
- the President of Haiti was assassinated
- billionaires trying to personally fly to space
- reopening schools and masks starting in 1 month (in the middle of august)
- US capitol riot redux of rioters that was only 6 months ago and we are learning where death threats were involved

It was a bit much. Then, that got me pondering about conversations people are having about all of these as a deluge nowadays...eventually I misread and misunderstood gabeincal's post, but there was something there that struck a chord. Namely - here's to hoping the school reopenings go well starting next month and things cool down a bit both figuratively and literally.

They shouldn’t call it “The News” they should call it ”What’s Wrong.”
Demetri Martin

Still some work to do for prime time in the cityo_O

feel like im noticing a theme of mistakes where
1. the cars respect for solid white lines could be higher
2. bus lanes arent respected

i dont know for sure but that seems like less of a perception and more of a logic coding thing. if i am right they seem like easy fixes. ive seen those errors in multiple videos.

Anyone from Sweden here? I'm moving to Sweden for a year. Would greatly appreciate some tips/advice/notadvice on capital gains tax on stocks/options.
Cap gain is 30%. But you can use an ISK(investment account) instead which get taxed by the total amount. Since rates are low that is preferable. Current tax is 0,375%. Problem is that moving existing stock into an ISK counts as a sale. Moving cash is no problem. There's also a similar KF account: The Swedish Investingsparkskonto (ISK) Account | thewahman

For trading options in American stocks you need a professional account. I'm using Pareto securities for that. Pareto also has currency accounts so you can trade directly in USD.

Ps. Welcome to Sweden!

Anyone from Sweden here? I'm moving to Sweden for a year. Would greatly appreciate some tips/advice/notadvice on capital gains tax on stocks/options.
Have you considered keeping an address from where you are now as your "permanent" address and use the address in Sweden as a temporary address, if the statutes there support doing so?

Consult with an attorney on how set it up and maintain it.

You don't know that it doesn't see it. Sure it isn't displaying it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't see it. For example Dirty Tesla said that FSD 9 stopped for deer in the street but didn't display them. Elon also mentioned that the mind of Tesla view would get much better with revisions:

Wow, if it can predict deer movements that would be something! Guess it’s more of a quick reaction to actual movement.

Reactions: UCF3
That person is not a Tesla bear, but a regular person.

I was once someone who thought Tesla being a bad investment. Only dipped a small amount in after I got my Model 3 and a little bit more hoping to play the going to private at 420. When that didn't play out, my initial investment tanked a good 20-30% with all the SEC shenanigan's.

It was actually this forum and people like Karen and FC that showed me how Tesla is different. It takes awhile to understand Tesla as an energy company using their purchasable products as a platform to make money via software. It's not a very easy concept to initially think of when cars are the main focus and one would fall into the "it's a car company trap" with some cool tech.

In fact I would say most Tesla shareholders have no clue and I can see it all over in the FB Tesla investor group. Lots of weak hands in there not really getting the company like most "bears".

I still think Tesla is the hardest stock to understand/to get right..hence so many TslaQ got crushed, and most people had 5 years to buy Tsla for 50 bucks a share but missed out except a bunch of us on this forum. Even some of our best sold out early and missed the big re-rating.

Sigh....regular people are Tesla bears! Because they don't understand Tesla. I've long considered you a TSLA bear, but not TSLAQ, and have seen first-hand the way this forum has schooled you. TSLAQ are not regular people (although they have influenced them). Do I need to draw a diagram for you?

Conversation today at the playground while playing with my son:
Him: So what do you work?
Me: I don't
Him: What do you mean?
Me: I'm retired for the time being and spend my time with my son
Him: How can you afford that?
Me: I've invested in TSLA and sell options for income
Him: But GM's super cruise is coming and Tesla will have so many competitors in 5 years
Me: Yeahh... Sorry I gotta go. :rolleyes:

I would have totally ranted an entire thesis to him which in the end would leave him wondering how #$%% crazy I was.

feel like im noticing a theme of mistakes where
1. the cars respect for solid white lines could be higher
2. bus lanes arent respected

i dont know for sure but that seems like less of a perception and more of a logic coding thing. if i am right they seem like easy fixes. ive seen those errors in multiple videos.

Tesla can't please everyone! Some people claim FSD could never drive like a human, others disparage it because it does! ;)

Still some work to do for prime time in the cityo_O

Wow, that was disappointing. The driver did an amazing job of babysitting the AP and taking over when AP would have caused an accident. Before watching that I was upset that FSD Beta still hasn't been downloaded to my car after waiting more than 2 years, but now I understand that it can't be sent out to the general public yet. I'm just shocked that FSD is such a difficult problem to solve. I would have thought that FSD had two basic parts - the vision and the "rules." For example. when it was scraping the bushes, was the problem not seeing the bushes, or not having the logic to move over to avoid them if there is room in the lane to the right (or even straddle the line to the right if there isn't a car there)? Humans can be distracted, but even a new human driver would avoid the bushes.