Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which EVs use pouch cells? Do we have a list?
- VW IDs
- Audi etron
- Porsche Taycan
- Mercedes EQS
- GM Chevy Bolt
- Ford Mustang Mach-E
- Hyundai Kona EV
- Polestar
- Nissan Leaf

Of these, the Leaf is probably the most conservative (aka safest) in terms of performance/capacity per cell.

I believe Rivian, Lucid, and Rimac use cyllindrical 2170 cells.

Umm - Did Anyone Notice What's Happening in Europe? 😲
For the countries where August data is available thus far, deliveries for the first 2 months are up 55% over Q2's first 2 months.
We are still missing Germany and the UK (2 of the largest EU markets); I expect the 55% growth to drop when these 2 markets report but the trend looks great so far.
Model Y is driving much of this.

View attachment 704617

Link to the data:
My only concern is did cars mostly just arrive earlier. So will September deliveries lag compared to June.

Lots to unpack with the all hands call leak.

CT delayed until late 22. That hurts personally, but it's a little embarrassing for the brand. I know it doesn't really matter but it gets old seeing the haters talk about how Tesla never gets products done. I don't like giving Ford and Rivian the lead in Trucks.
Small model, discussed to be released without steering wheel. I'm not buying that as happening.
FSD rollout is on track for just a few more weeks.
Craziest quarter for deliveries ever.

Having the stock jump due to FSD rollout will more than makeup for my Cybertruck delay.

Honestly, I think there should be different prices for FSD for different models, because being driven around in a Model S/X is a much more comfortable/luxurious experience than being driven around in a bare-bones Model 2.
Uber and Lyft do that already.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think there should be different prices for FSD for different models, because being driven around in a Model S/X is a much more comfortable/luxurious experience than being driven around in a bare-bones Model 2.

You have already paid a large premium to buy Model S/X. Why complicate things further?

Like I have said before, quoting Linus Torvalds:
Those who don’t understand Teslas are condemned to reimplement Teslas poorly

Which we again see here. If you don’t understand exactly why Tesla did x many years ago, you will find out in the future… Now they see why Tesla did the hard thing and went cylindrical cells rather than pouch. Like they saw with Autopilot hardware and OTA on every car, with supercharging network, with inhouse batteries… Which they will see with Radar, 4D labeling, gigacasting etc.
From everything I've heard about the early days, Tesla went with 18650 cylindrical cells because it was the only type they could get enough of to manufacture the roadster. For them it was a choice of cylindrical or nothing.

- VW IDs
- Audi etron
- Porsche Taycan
- Mercedes EQS
- GM Chevy Bolt
- Ford Mustang Mach-E
- Hyundai Kona EV
- Polestar
- Nissan Leaf

Of these, the Leaf is probably the most conservative (aka safest) in terms of performance/capacity per cell.

I believe Rivian, Lucid, and Rimac use cyllindrical 2170 cells.

Interesting!

It seems like all of the established ICE OEMs use pouches, while all of the bottom-up EV-only makers/startups use cylindrical cells

Daily FINRA report is out: very low trading volume by Retail entities today (only 37.9% of all trades on NASDAQ), but even more notable is the low short-sales proportion by Retail (only 33.5%, the lowest proportion since June 14th).

The next lowest proportion of TSLA Retail shorting was Dec 16, 2020 (which was just 3 days before the S&P Inclusion). So that's the kind of sentiment Retail has right now.

Waiting for the Starter's Pistol, I'd say... ;)

Cheers!
If we are this far from the ATH with low short interest, isn't that a bad thing? Usually SP and short interest have an inverse relationship. Doesn't it mean they can drive the SP down quickly as soon as Tesla has a bad quarter and they feel safe to do so? Hopefully Tesla will continue to execute despite the chip shortage and keep the short sellers at bay. However, Cybertruck effectively delayed a year now. I continue to feel better about selling Calls than buying them.....

Lots to unpack with the all hands call leak.

CT delayed until late 22. That hurts personally, but it's a little embarrassing for the brand. I know it doesn't really matter but it gets old seeing the haters talk about how Tesla never gets products done. I don't like giving Ford and Rivian the lead in Trucks.
Small model, discussed to be released without steering wheel. I'm not buying that as happening.
FSD rollout is on track for just a few more weeks.
Craziest quarter for deliveries ever.

Having the stock jump due to FSD rollout will more than makeup for my Cybertruck delay.

Uber and Lyft do that already.

Cybertruck isn't delayed. Sawyer misspoke, then corrected himself later on twitter. It was the clarification of a production timeframe, which has never been publicly announced.

People should stop taking Sawyer at face value. He is the boy who called wolf. Literally, reporting a source from Germany says CT production would begin before Model Y at Giga Texas. As if anyone from Germany would have insight into production plans in Austin. Rediculous on the face of it, yet people lapped it up without thinking.

To summarize:
  • Highly suspect source
  • poor judgement
  • undeterred by his own incompetence
I think we have a winner in the Dunning-Kruger Lotto draw (next Month's prize is $800B) :p

Last edited:
My local news this morning did a story about Ford cutting production 30%, and GM shutting production lines, because of chip shortage. "Chip shortage affecting all automakers," they said. Hopefully Elon's comments about crazy deliveries this month keeps TSLA above 700. To think that some "experts" have been saying to buy F and GM stock.... The best way to lose money is to listen to those bozos.

If we are this far from the ATH with low short interest, isn't that a bad thing?

The FINRA report isn't the Short Interest report. That comes from NASDAQ about once per two weeks, and includes all declared outstanding short shares, albeit on about a 2 week delay.

Short Interest | NASDAQ.com

The FINRA report is only daily short volume by Retail traders, not the big banks or hedge funds. Further, those shorts could be opened and closed the same day (or before the NASDAQ reporting period), and those trades would never appear in the short interest report.

Cybertruck isn't delayed. Sawyer misspoke, then corrected himself later on twitter. It was the clarification of a production timeframe, which has never been publicly announced.

People should stop taking Sawyer at face value.
Not only that...but "giving Ford and GM the lead" is a laughter generator for me.
Look at all the issues surrounding those companies.

If they make any volume...(more than a few hundred) by 2022 I will be shocked.

Edit: I see it was Ford and Rivian not GM....Comment still stands

Last edited:
In Q1 2019, Model 3 arrived in Norway and stormed the place.

Total Tesla deliveries:
Jan192
Feb1020
Mar5828
Q17040

Model 3 alone sold 6150 cars.
There were some days with over 500 deliveries (record is 583 in one single day).

At the moment, these are Model Y numbers (total Tesla):
Jul6
Aug2084
Sep315 so far
Q3-

Model Y sold ~1500 so far.
Still a long way to break the record, but I didn't follow shipments and right now the European market is completely different (UK, Germany, France buy a lot more EVs than two years ago). Let's see how it goes.

Source: Tesla Registration Stats

About the CyberTruck delay, maybe Elon is wanting to give Ford/Rivian a head start in the electric truck market. I’m sure demand for their EV trucks will skyrocket as a number of CT reservation holders undoubtedly will change their mind, putting pressure on these companies to step up their production plans.

This will also accelerate the EV adaption in the truck market (and help Tesla achieve it’s mission).

Last edited:
Elon specifically mentioned ditching the wheel in general back on Autonomy day so that's not nonsense at all- it's something we've been explicitly told, over 2 years ago, that the CEO wants to do- including offering to remove it from cars that already have it eventually. Being forever optimistic about FSD being nearly done it's entirely surprising he'd want to do it for a future model too, especially the one most likely to be tagged for general RT use.

Maybe add a $5,000 (or more for higher level vehicles) option to add a steering wheel? If you really want one it'll cost you.