Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your buying GM?
I sold mine in early summer.
Not me. Never owned it. Activists as exemplified by Engine #1 however are making a move that may have an effect. I am thinking this is worth understanding or being aware of. It impacted Exxon’s board And might mean something going forward.

Last edited:
Not to be outdone, and likely in order to remain one step ahead of GLJ, even JPM (beholden to big oil as they are) is forced to raise their price targets to a whopping $215. [insert NSFW expletive here - it is almost a 20% price target increase - my expectation is they will be right on target for the next SP split] 🙄🙄

Whenever I see an analyst report from JPM, I post this picture to show how out of touch they are. LOL.
dimon.jpg

Huh, i wrote the same thing earlier this summer when I heard about the li-fe batteries and cars from different locations hitting germany. As someone that actually has to support equipment made overseas all I could see what a looming logistical nightmare as the parts/support issues arose. Many posters disagreed with me. Hmmm...EM is saying baskins robbins on cells is not good. Hmmm. You betcha. Of course it could just be warning shot at suppliers that they are going to cut someone off, maybe to panasonic. It could also mean the 4680 is progressing towards scale.
We all need to put this in perspective. On battery day Tesla explicitly stated they would use different chemistries for given purposes. There is every reason to suggest they'll try to evolve to a standard format that can be deployed for all chemistries. We might think of that more akin to the commercial paint suppliers that have one to several bases, and supply color on a customized basis. Tesla could very well follow the CATL practice which does cell to pack on a generally standard basis, but can fill the cells on a customized basis.

Tesla already has done that, but ended out with a need to be flexible due to acute cell shortages. With Panasonic and LG both working to supply 4680's and CATL supplying elegant cell to pack designs it si likely that Tesla structural packs will end out vastly cheaper, lighter and more efficient, not to mention being more flexible.

Unlike some of us, I'd happily wager that by 2024 Tesla will be pretty much standardized in form, but with substantial differences in chemistry and cell design from application to application. That will allow standardized and highly scalable production lines for vehicles and stationary packs, while having optimized cells for specific applications. Further, I strongly believe that from Model '2' to Model X, Cybertruck to semi, Powerwall to Megapack, the fundamental pack designs will be standardized. This will allow rapid changes and new deployments coupled with much simplified scale.

During the Musk-Diess conversations this topic must have been featured. VAG has been highly successful with standardizing of many components from Bugatti to Fox. Dimensions and modularity have been huge advantages for them. Tesla has done that with motors from SpaceX to Model 3. The problem has been scaling of battery suppliers

Those all solve within three years at worst, more like two years most likely.

Bloomberg: "The percentage of stock borrowed by traders, a standard measure of short interest, has slumped to 1.1% of Tesla’s shares available for trading, according to IHS Markit Ltd. as of last Thursday. That’s the lowest since 2010, when the carmaker went public."

Not me. Never owned it. Activists as exemplified by Engine #1 however are making a move that may have an effect. I am thinking this is worth understanding or being aware of. It impacted Exxon’s board And might mean something going forward.

Listening to the interview it sounds like Engine 1 is investing in GM to cheer lead it "going all-in on EV's". He sounded pretty naïve about what it will take for a legacy company like GM to compete with Tesla in the EV space. I mean really, this is the same GM that's recalling every Bolt EV and partnered with Nikola.

Listening to the interview it sounds like Engine 1 is investing in GM to cheer lead it "going all-in on EV's". He sounded pretty naïve about what it will take for a legacy company like GM to compete with Tesla in the EV space. I mean really, this is the same GM that's recalling every Bolt EV and partnered with Nikola.

Financial Gurus make a battery not ;)

Reactions: RubberToe
Bloomberg: "The percentage of stock borrowed by traders, a standard measure of short interest, has slumped to 1.1% of Tesla’s shares available for trading, according to IHS Markit Ltd. as of last Thursday. That’s the lowest since 2010, when the carmaker went public."
Current Rates from IBKR:
At least 17m TSLA Shares available for short, Fee: 0.25%, Rebate: -0.44%

So this looks not threatening. If shars are really rare, then you would see fees of 5-10% ..

Has Burry closed his short position yet?

$TSLA: @FT #BigRead – sales of green regulatory credits necessary for “profitability.” Flat revs as tax credits wane/ deliveries stagnate. Inferior lithium iron phosphate tech behind #millionmilebattery means lower energy density/reduced range. #bubbles https://t.co/Z5XlzzEsJj pic.twitter.com/8wH1o6PJrM
— Michael Burry, M.D. (@michaeljburry) September 22, 2020

LiPO4 as inferior tech just shows me how little he knows...and he was wrong about just everything else too.

Last edited:
Something's a bit off. CNBC just posting facts, now I see this from Business Insider....

View attachment 717691
Very strange behavior from these clowns. Perhaps the hedgies are all positioned and want it to run
Correction to headline: Tesla says it delivered a record 241,300 vehicles cars during the global supply chain and legacy chip shortage in the third quarter of 2021, analysts were smashed that this was even possible.