Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is OT but maybe not:

Anyone knows anything about Jim Keller’s AI chip? Like, if it’s done and ready?

His brother in law, a guy named Jordan Peterson said on a podcast with a guy named Joe Rogan that the chip is done and apparently Jim said “this is bigger than the internet” as the impact it will have. 👀
I know way too much about custom ASICs, and I think the world of Jim, but it takes time, I do hope his chip(s) will do well, but I'm thinking about 2 to 3 years from now...

Sort of OT but not really - hopefully the mods will see not see this as a political post, it just happens that this particular pres is on the job, it really is the same interests battling to slow down (now that they can't stop) Tesla by all means possible. Click on the link posted (image is for information only)
And ask friends to also sign the petition. Every little bit helps!

Petition to ask the Pres to acknowledge Tesla's EV leadership

TSLA.Potus.change.jpg

Last edited:

Ouch. Who needs to worry about FSD safety when you have this issue? 😝
you mean like the Model X issue?

I don't do Twitter but if you could show me where Elon is posting false medical advice you might change my view on this. Until then I don't think Elon gave up his rights as a private citizen just because he took on big jobs to help humanity.

I find it ironic that his detractors can sit on the sidelines and throw peanuts at him while contributing nothing themselves (and presumably still retain their freedom of speech rights). It's never sat well with me when someone tells someone else what they can and can't say.
Nobody has said anything about whether Elon has or hasn't a "right" to post whatever he wants. What I said is that he's gratuitously destroying his own reputation. He should STFU. Of course he has the right to be a fool in public if he wants to.

And, in any case, all this free speech and censorship stuff is nonsense. He's tweeting. It's Twitter that gets to decide whether or not his posts are okay. And, in the case of Joe Rogan, it's Spotify.

Elon really needs to STFU on this covid stuff on Twitter. I'm getting tired of it. He was wrong in the beginning and should stick to doing what he knows best.

There's nothing worse than tripling down when you're wrong. He might be the smartest person to get us to Mars, but he's losing a lot of respect from me.

Not that it matters coming me, but its why I've believed in his companies since 2012.

STFU Elon.
I love Elon but I had to unfollow him on twitter because I can't bear to see any more of his antivax propaganda :confused:

Thank you for sharing. That video gave me pause.
Yeah, it gave me pause too. But after pausing, I concluded I'll never understand how some of those YouTubers get an audience. He seems incapable of taking a real position on anything. Oh my God, these puppies could go down a lot. But if "Risk on" happens, oh-baby, these puppies could shoot for the moon!

Ummm, yeah, that's why they are known as highly speculative stocks. Tell us something we don't know. I'm not sure how he adds any value.

Nobody has said anything about whether Elon has or hasn't a "right" to post whatever he wants. What I said is that he's gratuitously destroying his own reputation. He should STFU. Of course he has the right to be a fool in public if he wants to.

I think you might be over-reacting. Elon is not destroying his credibility. He could post these kinds of posts every day for the next 1000 days in a row and he would still have more credibility than you or I.

I would suggest you don't have a grasp on this particular situation and how it may or may not affect Elon's reputation.

These questions come from a place of inspiration. No one cares what other CEOs are thinking because most are bean counters. But when you have a Steve Jobs or Elon Musk, it's best to extract as much as they are willing to share as the information may drive humanity forward.
Dave strikes me as someone who’s not worked in product development and believes good “process” is the key to developing excellent products.

Good process can make a great team better but it will make never make a bad team good. In other words, you‘re not getting Tesla or Apple results without a Musk or Jobs.

I think you might be over-reacting. Elon is not destroying his credibility. He could post these kinds of posts every day for the next 1000 days in a row and he would still have more credibility than you or I.

I would suggest you don't have a grasp on this particular situation and how it may or may not affect Elon's reputation.
Longtime listener/first time caller here.

I have no doubt Elon is an excellent engineer and visionary, which is the reason I have a large portion of my net worth tied to Tesla. But as a physician with a fairly decent understanding of infectious diseases, public health, and epidemiology, a lot of the information he has been posting on Twitter surrounding the pandemic is misleading/misunderstood at best. And as a Canadian living in a particularly right wing part of the country I am all too familiar with the politics of the protestors in Ottawa; to put it lightly, they are not a group he would want to align himself with if he got to know them better.

I just wish he would focus his public facing communications on what he is best at, rather than wading into topics about which he seems to have limited understanding. I'm prepared to take the bad with the good, but I really wish we didn't have to

You really think that Elon going way outside his wheelhouse on Twitter and posting a pile of incendiary nonsense is irrelevant? The man is destroying his own credibility for no reason at all.

I absolutely agree that Elon should STFU about COVID, freedom, censorship, and other incendiary topics that have no relevance. Just like Biden, he's crapping on the very people who are his supporters. And he's pushing blatant falsehoods just like we see every day in the NYT and LA Times regarding Tesla.
Elon’s tweets likely are likely intended to serve two purposes that benefit his companies.

The first is to expand Tesla’s customer base to include those further to the right and in different demographic groups. This is the reason he did an interview on BabylonBee and did what was virtually a commercial for Whiteclaw hard seltzer on it. Arguably, it appears to be working as his twitter follower count seems to going exponential (72+ million).

Not to put to fine a point on it, those who already support the mission should encourage him rather than allow themselves to become incensed by views of his they disagree with.

The second reason is that the administration is hostile to his companies. It is legitimate for him to flex to demonstrate that he could influence a lot of voters.

The obvious reason for the hostility stems from the desire of those currently in office to recapture their party’s lost ground with Labor.

Less obviously, Tesla and SpaceX arouse hostility because they are so vertically integrated. Both the automotive and space industries have long histories of pork barrel politics that spread out facilities, such as factories, around to various places. Most politicians—on any side of any aisle—are going to push to protect what is in their home district or state or whatever.

I doubt he cares what people think should be his wheelhouse.

Last edited:
…I could see a Tesla bot switching from agricultural to shipping/distribution to manufacturing as needed. Or maybe the mail "person" for the office, or even for the US post office (maybe 1 human + 1 bot teams at first).

edaac111a6efc3eb25c5901f2656abe85d448772-3000x2000.jpg
Wait a minute… are you suggesting Tesla build robots that could “transform” from vehicle to humanoid forms?

Interesting… 🤔

I think it's hilarious that people are so blinded by the trumped up (oho, a PUN) partisan politics in this country that they literally think of everything through whether someone supports their political positions or not. This is the cancer that is destroying the country from within. Elon isn't a political animal, hardly thinks about politics, and wouldn't care if someone else thought anything he said or did was political. Which it isn't. Elon is not a Democrat or a Republican, because humans are not Democrats or Republicans. They are humans. Elon is a humanist, and your petty political squabbles are just noise to him.

So keep getting mad about whatever hot button political issue is keeping you too busy to pay attention to what's actually important. Hint: It's not the stupid coronavirus. It's not labor unions. It's not truckers driving trucks. It's definitely not partisan politics. What's actually important is that we are currently on a very strict timeline where we either need to stop emitting carbon really soon now, or we will not be able to bend our trajectory as a species away from certain extinction. Last I checked, Elon is currently the leader in the anti-extinction agenda, because Tesla is almost the only major company really trying to do something to bend this carbon emission curve down.

Elon is also currently the leader in trying to implement a Plan B. In case we are unable to stop ourselves from ruining our homeworld, he's trying to give us a fighting chance to be able to colonize other worlds while there are still any humans left to colonize other worlds. This one is gonna be tough, because we have to develop a lot of different technologies which are little more than science fiction right now before we can even consider large scale habitation off our homeworld. But the alternative is certain extinction if anything happens to the only world we have right now, so I guess we better try.

I don't rate our odds as a species of averting our extinction as being very good at the moment, judging from the petty squabbling in this thread recently. Don't Look Up.

Sorry, but it is a real turn off for me. The picture of Elon with Peterson and Rogan the other day made me really nervous. Credibility with what crowd I ask.

Longtime listener/first time caller here.

I have no doubt Elon is an excellent engineer and visionary, which is the reason I have a large portion of my net worth tied to Tesla. But as a physician with a fairly decent understanding of infectious diseases, public health, and epidemiology, a lot of the information he has been posting on Twitter surrounding the pandemic is misleading/misunderstood at best. And as a Canadian living in a particularly right wing part of the country I am all too familiar with the politics of the protestors in Ottawa; to put it lightly, they are not a group he would want to align himself with if he got to know them better.

I just wish he would focus his public facing communications on what he is best at, rather than wading into topics about which he seems to have limited understanding. I'm prepared to take the bad with the good, but I really wish we didn't have to
Totally agree. He is aligning himself with utter bampots. Sorry, I am a crazy liberal medical professor working on public health epidemiology directly and that is where I stand.

Sorry, but I'm disagreeing with ya.
If Elon could choose between 53% and 20%, of course 20% is better; but that's not the situation. Rather the choice is 53% tax later, or 53% now and an additional 20% on future gains.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not how it works. Elon only has to pay the Income taxes (53%) once, at the time he excercises. Then when he finally sells the shares, he'll pay 20% Capital Gains tax on the appreciation in the share value.

That's always going to work out to be less total tax (income + capital gains) payable if he excercises at a lower price than he sells. Look at the two extreme cases:
  • Low Tax Rate Scenario: If Exercise Price = SP, then over time the SP goes to infinity, Elon pays a blended tax rate of 20% (all capital gains at sale, income tax portion paid at exercise becomes just a rounding error)
  • High Tax Rate Scenario: If Elon exercises and there is no appreciation in the SP before he sells, he pays exactly a 53% blended tax rate (all tax paid at exercise, wotj 0 Capital Gains at time of sale)
I am not an accountant (the Dean and I did agree on that single point), so I'll simply step aside and ask more experienced members to chime in. Paging @st_lopes ;)

Cheers!

Last edited: