Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's wrong with this picture?

Screenshot_20221204-211927.png

I just don't think the cost/benefit ratio is there for passenger cars. The hydraulic disc brakes don't heat up to the same extent under normal operating conditions since there's an order of magnitude less weight to decelerate.

The discussion went down the path the issues of cold-soaked batteries and/or high SOC limiting regen capability, and methods to address that, including resistive load banks. My suggested solution improves on that idea by using the heat by-product to heat the cold pack, rather than the outside air, reducing the time it takes before you can once again recover the energy from regen, something that's even more useful on semi's.

Nobody was speaking to cost/benefit that I could see, and I certainly wasn't. Just potential technical solutions. But since you brought it up, and suggested it's not feasible, what are your cost estimates for producing such a system at scale?

One option if the expense doesn't make sense for all cars, would be part of a cold weather package. The availability of such might make more sense for the semi.

Reactions: bavarian_owner
The discussion went down the path the issues of cold-soaked batteries and/or high SOC limiting regen capability, and methods to address that, including resistive load banks. My suggested solution improves on that idea by using the heat by-product to heat the cold pack, rather than the outside air, reducing the time it takes before you can once again recover the energy from regen, something that's even more useful on semi's.

Nobody was speaking to cost/benefit that I could see, and I certainly wasn't. Just potential technical solutions. But since you brought it up, and suggested it's not feasible, what are your cost estimates for producing such a system at scale?

One option if the expense doesn't make sense for all cars, would be part of a cold weather package. The availability of such might make more sense for the semi.

Anything is feasible. But the best part is no part, yes? There's a very strong likelihood that rheostatic braking is completely unnecessary for the Semi, let alone 3,Y,S, &X. I liked the idea initially too, but it's probably a solution in search of a problem.

The real question is, how did a driveway paver from Nikola managed an engineering team that produced a decent efficient truck?

I'd turn that question around and ask, why are the other truck development teams so bad that they were beaten by a driveway paver? There are plenty of smart shade-tree mechanics after all.

I still think Tesla does some exporting in December. But nothing like what Troy has been pushing as a narrative. Maybe they increase the vehicles in transit from 20k to 30k. Or maybe they keep the 20k in transit steady from Q3 to Q4. Just because there are no ships on schedule right now doesn’t mean there won’t be any in a week or two.
The elephant in the room is that the wave will die out naturally as the Berlin and Texas gigafactories ramp up. Take for instance Europe (the biggest cause of the wave because all Tesla’s for Europe had to be shipped by ship for weeks, until Berlin production is ramped): With Berlin reaching 5000/week production, that’s 65K per quarter. Q3 had 50K sales in Europe. The cheapest Model Y is cheaper than the cheapest Model 3 in Europe, so pricewise Europeans will tend to buy the locally produced Model Y’s instead of Model 3. The wave to Europe will only be for the less popular Model 3/S/X. No doubt something similar will happen with the production in Texas.

Same line of thought: I always ask what percentage of the cobalt (dug up by the same child labour that is always brought up in these conversations) that is used as a catalyst for the creation of low sulphur diesel, is recycled.
Most of it, to be honest. There’s a small amount of wastage but it’s mostly reusable. The industry is so huge, however, that it accounts for nearly half of all cobalt production.

Please don't repost things that have already been posted very clearly at the top of the page you're posting on. Just because the link you posted is from Bloom "people familiar with the matter" berg and adds any predictable negative slant they can doesn't mean it's a different story.

Last edited:
I haven't caught up yet, did do a search though and can't see it posted

UK / SMMT - Battery Electric Vehicles passed 20% in November 2022

Tesla at 4.22% of all cars irrespective of powertrain

1670231593751.png

Car Registrations (brand tab)

Edit: Best sellers - Model Y at 2nd for November. Red indicates some electric models, but not all electric.

1670232080156.png

Attachments

• 1670231951256.png
    1670231951256.png
    88.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited: